[ROM][4.2.2][7/21] AOKP :: jb-mr1 :: milestone-2 :: evita [OFFICIAL]

Search This thread

rohan32

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2011
New Jersey
rmathur.com
Hey guys,

Now that the rebooting bug is solved I'll be posting 3.4 kernel test builds every couple days.

I don't think I'll push it as the default kernel in the official builds yet though since video recording is still broken and there is something eating up the battery a little bit

Once those are solved I'll switch over to 3.4 on Official AOKP as well ;)

tl;dr if you want the 3.4 kernel flash my test builds, if you want the 3.0 kernel flash the official aokp builds until further notice

-rohan

mikelebz

Aug 18, 2010
Hey guys,

Now that the rebooting bug is solved I'll be posting 3.4 kernel test builds every couple days.

I don't think I'll push it as the default kernel in the official builds yet though since video recording is still broken and there is something eating up the battery a little bit

Once those are solved I'll switch over to 3.4 on Official AOKP as well ;)

tl;dr if you want the 3.4 kernel flash my test builds, if you want the 3.0 kernel flash the official aokp builds until further notice

-rohan

Thanks Rohan! I think I will be sticking with the 3.0 until everything gets ironed out, but just for future reference, H8 mentioned that we must flash the 3.18 RUU for the newer HBoot (which is required). Is it possible to flash the newest HBoot from this thread just to make life easier? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2156368

Would that be the 2.14 HBoot?

thanks again!

rohan32

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2011
New Jersey
rmathur.com
Thanks Rohan! I think I will be sticking with the 3.0 until everything gets ironed out, but just for future reference, H8 mentioned that we must flash the 3.18 RUU for the newer HBoot (which is required). Is it possible to flash the newest HBoot from this thread just to make life easier? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2156368

Would that be the 2.14 HBoot?

thanks again!

Nope, unfortunately it isn't necessarily the HBoot only, I believe theres more to it (i.e. vendor firmware and stuff) that needs to be updated via the RUU.

I know its a pain to run the RUU but its the safest and best way to make sure everything will be consistent for all users.

Daxxer2007

Jul 4, 2011
Nope, unfortunately it isn't necessarily the HBoot only, I believe theres more to it (i.e. vendor firmware and stuff) that needs to be updated via the RUU.

I know its a pain to run the RUU but its the safest and best way to make sure everything will be consistent for all users.

For 3.4 kernel use, it is a must to ruu up. And honestly it makes cell reception better, WiFi better, Bluetooth seems to be faster at pairing too. Lots of nice stuff with the ruu update. To elaborate :)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

MrMiami81

Jun 6, 2012
South Florida
What is the radio that comes with this ROM? I changed it a while back and now I'm experiencing nasty data drops so I'd like to revert back to the original radio. Thanks for any replies..

Sent from my One X using xda premium

moody03svt

Feb 19, 2007
Can you quickly run through your suggested update process for Milestones? is it possible to remember all the app positions and such or is it only possible to back up all settings and restore after milestone is installed?
(I am going from the 6/8 nightly)

Is it the same as going from stock ROM to custom ROM?
1. Download ROM and GApps
2. Load ROM and GApps onto phone
3. reboot into recovery and wipe cache/delvik cache
4. flash rom and then GApps
5. then flash boot.img

mikelebz

Aug 18, 2010
Can you quickly run through your suggested update process for Milestones? is it possible to remember all the app positions and such or is it only possible to back up all settings and restore after milestone is installed?
(I am going from the 6/8 nightly)

Is it the same as going from stock ROM to custom ROM?
1. Download ROM and GApps
2. Load ROM and GApps onto phone
3. reboot into recovery and wipe cache/delvik cache
4. flash rom and then GApps
5. then flash boot.img

Correct, but if you are s-off(which you will need to be anyways for everything after this coming milestone, according to rohan) you don't need the final step.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Milestone should be out very soon.. and then after that, I'll switch to the 3.4 kernel in nightlies.

Thanks rohan! Will you keep us updated (preferably in the OP) what is /is not working when nighties come along?

moody03svt

Feb 19, 2007
Correct, but if you are s-off(which you will need to be anyways for everything after this coming milestone, according to rohan) you don't need the final step.

I will do some digging on the S-On bit. Did not know that upcoming ROM will require S-Off. I seem to have full and consistent root on my One X now with no security challenges. Here is my HBoot screen:
9095690666_eee16077e7_c.jpg

joshuaadude

Feb 19, 2009
LA

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Thanks rohan! Will you keep us updated (preferably in the OP) what is /is not working when nighties come along?

OK so just for clarity, the next milestone will not require S-Off, but the subsequent nightlies will? I ask because I have S-On, and I have failed trying to achieve S-Off on my phone before. I guess I'm not too good with coding!! Is there any other method other than Facepalm's?

mikelebz

Aug 18, 2010
I will do some digging on the S-On bit. Did not know that upcoming ROM will require S-Off. I seem to have full and consistent root on my One X now with no security challenges. Here is my HBoot screen:
9095690666_eee16077e7_c.jpg

The reason being that in order to use the new kernel (post-milestone 2) requires updates only in the latest RUU. If you run the RUU without s-off you will not retain root.

Hence, s-off required.

I, too am nervous about running the RUU, but many have done it. It shouldn't be too difficult. Regardless, I'm waiting until I need to.

Z1cK

May 29, 2013
the web ;)
The reason being that in order to use the new kernel (post-milestone 2) requires updates only in the latest RUU. If you run the RUU without s-off you will not retain root.

Hence, s-off required.

I, too am nervous about running the RUU, but many have done it. It shouldn't be too difficult. Regardless, I'm waiting until I need to.

Here on my side i've run the lattest RUU. It's easy, so easy. reboot in bootloader/fastboot, run the RUU with administration right on your pc and wait until it's finished. After you only need to flash twrp/cwm with adb and donwgrade touch panel firmware(look at post #1 in cm 10.1 official thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2064621 ). Voila! It's no big deal. and you can profit all the 3.4 new kernel !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: moody03svt

majortaylor

Jul 11, 2012
Milestone should be out very soon.. and then after that, I'll switch to the 3.4 kernel in nightlies.

At the risk of sounding noobish what does the new 3.4 kernel mean for non sense roms exactly? Any performance or battery life increases?

Sent from my Elemental Sense 5 S-off HTC One XL

TrancerSte

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
I've got what might be a rather daft question: I've been looking into running the RUU (something I've never done before, but I've read sufficient that I'm now happy with doing it in theory).

A few posts back you guys are talking about needing to run the 3.18 RUU? Now I've found this thread with all the various Evita OTAs in, but the only carrier with a 3.18 is AT&T.

My One XL is a Singapore device destined for SingTel that I bought SIM free on the grey market [they're not big on SIM free phones here]. Networks here are not allowed to carrier lock or in any way brand their phones at a firmware level, so what I have is essentially stock and the same as the Australian Telstra and [I think] EU/UK T-Mobile versions.

Moving forward, will the Singapore 3.17* RUU listed in the above thread be sufficient to support the 3.4 kernel, or do I need to run the AT&T 3.18 one? I guess the Singapore/Singtel RUU is preferable as the radio that it includes will be optimised for my network?

I'm currently running HBOOT 1.09 but radio 0.19as***, in what looks to be a weird hybrid of the 1.88 and 2.23 RUU firmware versions. I'm S-Off with super CID-11111111.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
    83.png
    [/font]

[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Device: evita (HTC One XL)[/font]

81.png
    [/font]

[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]» Installation is simple:[/font]
    • If coming from another ROM or another major AOKP version, wipe data in recovery
    • Make sure you're using the latest CWM or TWRP
    • Flash ROM
    • Flash Google Apps (GAPPS)
    • Reboot
    78.png
    [/font]

» Check merged commits on AOKP's Gerrit

80.png
    [/font]

builds[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: [/font]http://aokp.co/devices/evita
    gapps[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]: [/font]http://goo.im/gapps/...0301-signed.zip[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] - b7e53e96e1c8b1a1c4865bf29418c8e0[/font]

82.png
    [/font]

» AOKP Gerrit
    » AOKP on Github
    » SOURCE on AOKP.co

79.png
    [/font]

[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We greatly appreciate your contribution in the form of code, or PayPal donations.[/font]
    » Donation options on AOKP.co

[font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Enjoy![/font][font=Roboto, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font]
    Some more good news coming off the S-OFF from yesterday; we just got merged into AOKP's source! :) So next Build 4 will be official from aokp.co!
    Regarding the 3.4 kernel

Another person on these forums felt it was necessary to post the 3.4 kernel the entire CM team has been working on for the past 2-3 months.

I wasn't trying to post 3.4 kernel builds here because it isn't ready yet. I wanted to avoid the mass influx of "ZOMG WEN R TEH 3.4 KERNELZ COMING?!?!" PMs which were already coming at a pretty fast rate. Looks like that won't be happening though.

That person also neglected to post information as per whose work it was, which angers me a lot. That's a different story for a different time, however.

Regarding the 3.4 kernel in AOKP and CyanogenMod; I won't be posting builds here for you guys to use with 3.4 until its "ready". It isn't released yet by one of the people working on it or myself because we feel like it isn't ready. Lots of issues under the hood of the kernel aren't working properly, which leads to a very poor user experience. I promise you that at the moment, the 3.4 kernel could not be your daily driver. Please do not PM or message me in IRC about posting AOKP or CM builds with the 3.4 kernel. Like I said, there is a reason they have not been posted yet.

You want to use the 3.4 kernel? Fine by me, go ahead and use it. But please, don't come crying to myself or a CM dev about how XXX isn't working. It wasn't released by us for a reason.

I assure you that the CM team is pushing hard for the 3.4 kernel. That's the main priority right now, since getting to 3.4 will be a huge accomplishment. Just sit tight and please don't bug me, h8rift, or any other CM dev about when 3.4 will be ready.

Thanks,
    Rohan

EDIT: Also, note: DO NOT under any circumstances try to use that 3.4 kernel with another ROM. It will most probably brick your device since the headers are not updated for these ROMs to work with the 3.4 kernel. Yet another reason why I wasn't posting 3.4 builds.
    Don't worry... you guys will be getting 4.3 AOKP very soon, as soon as AOKP stabilizes its 4.3 source :)

I was focusing on CM since they had their ROM up and running first so that I could focus on hardware functionality. AOKP is next :) I'll be trying to help bringup features and stuff to 4.3 and then we should be seeing the first few 4.3 builds quite soon.
    Evita is now up!

Grab it officially from http://aokp.co/release-jb-mr1-build-4/

Enjoy!