SGS switched off halfway through a YouTube video and now I can't switch it on

Search This thread

moofesr

Jan 30, 2014
London
Earlier this morning, I was halfway through an episode of Air Crash Investigations on YouTube when the screen just went black, in an instant. It switched off.

At the time, my earphones were plugged in, as was the charger (battery stood at ~85% charge).I tried switching it on. Nothing happened. The phone was absolutely dead. I tried entering recovery mode and download mode but couldn't, my phone simply wouldn't switch on.

I then tried switching battery but it's still not turning on. The phone is absolutely dead.

If this were to happen when flashing ROMs, it might have made sense (e.g bricking the phone by flashing the wrong ROM) but this was nothing like that. I was simply watching a video on my phone! The last time I flashed a ROM was over two weeks ago.

I was on CM11 using the stock CM11 kernel without any overclocking whatsoever if that helps?

I'm convinced this isn't a battery issue since I've tried two separate batteries, both of which aren't empty. Is my phone now bricked? I can't switch on or get into recovery/download.

aironmail

Mar 31, 2013
Are you using the latest nigthlies? Because currently there is a bug that avoids vídeo playback...

moofesr

Jan 30, 2014
London
I'm using the 20140301 CM11 nightly. I had no issues with videos (either locally streamed or network streamed) in the last two weeks so I'm not sure it's a video issue per se.

Could it be the phone overheated and died? Is the motherboard dead? It's the only thing that I can think of seeing as I can't even get into Recovery or Download mode.

Having said that, in the moments before my phone died, the phone was neither too hot nor too cold. There was nothing out of the ordinary at the time.

Most people appear to brick their phones when flashing ROMs yet my phone appears to have (hard?) bricked itself whilst using an app. Is it now beyond repair?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
Most people appear to brick their phones when flashing ROMs yet my phone appears to have (hard?) bricked itself whilst using an app. Is it now beyond repair?
If its a software issue, JTAG would resolve it, IF its hardware, than parts would be involved, apparently something failed or crashed ,

But it would be good to check your battery contacts, in case its oxidized and connection lost

moofesr

Jan 30, 2014
London
If its a software issue, JTAG would resolve it, IF its hardware, than parts would be involved, apparently something failed or crashed ,

But it would be good to check your battery contacts, in case its oxidized and connection lost

I've had a look at the battery contacts, they look fine... to my untrained eye at least.

Apologies if this sounds silly but how do I know whether it's a software or hardware issue? I'm going to lookup JTAG on Google as well.

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
I've had a look at the battery contacts, they look fine... to my untrained eye at least.

Apologies if this sounds silly but how do I know whether it's a software or hardware issue? I'm going to lookup JTAG on Google as well.
well, there's no way to know when phone is not booting, so its a technicians job to find out by checking it internally, and normally its done with Jtag/riff box and volt meter download the i9000 technician manual from My Directory (yellow Pages) and there is a trouble shooting guide for power problems

moofesr

Jan 30, 2014
London
The repair shop people contacted me yesterday and told me it was unrepairable. I'm sad to see the phone go but what really annoys me is how I don't know what caused the problem in the first place!! This kind of problem is typically associated with ROM flashing going wrong but this was anything but that.

Is it worth putting up the SGS on eBay under 'for parts or not working' and if so, how much do you reckon it'll sell for?

xsenman

Apr 9, 2012
Philippines
The repair shop people contacted me yesterday and told me it was unrepairable. I'm sad to see the phone go but what really annoys me is how I don't know what caused the problem in the first place!! This kind of problem is typically associated with ROM flashing going wrong but this was anything but that.

Is it worth putting up the SGS on eBay under 'for parts or not working' and if so, how much do you reckon it'll sell for?
Sorry to hear that, Better to get a second opinion about it with anther repair shop and ask them what parts they have to change or what is wrong with it.