Samsung updating some Devices TODAY! (not necesseraly 8.9)

Search This thread

pseudoheld

May 8, 2009
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...hing-standing-in-the-way-now-is-your-carrier/

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-posts-ics-updates-for-tons-of-canadian-devices-20120430/

Samsung Canada has finished porting Ice Cream Sandwich to a whole bunch of devices, which in Samsung press release parlance means they are "eligible" for an upgrade. Does that mean you can hit that "update" button today and start downloading ICS? Well, that's complicated.
First though, the list of devices:
GALAXY S II
GALAXY S II LTE
GALAXY S II LTE HD
GALAXY S II X
GALAXY Note
GALAXY Tab 7.0
GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus
GALAXY Tab 8.9
GALAXY Tab 10.1
Now, for the caveats: Sammy says "The upgrade will be available today on select devices in Canada and will continue rolling out to devices and carriers throughout the quarter." and "The availability of the software upgrade and specific models upgradable to Android 4.0 will vary by market and wireless carriers' requirements. For carrier specific details, please visit your nearest carrier retailer." So basically Samsung is saying "We are done, it's up to your carrier." So after the carriers get done testing, poking, and installing bloatware, you'll get your upgrade.
This should be good news for the aforementioned Galaxy owners in other regions too. The software for different regions is about 90% compatible, so your Ice Cream Sandwich updates should be well on their way, too.
The press release isn't exactly clear on exactly who, in Canada, gets Ice Cream Sandwich today and who has to wait. So a question to all our Canadian commenters: What Galaxy device do you have, what carrier are you on, and happens when you mash that update button? Good luck!

Last edited:

sbeddoesdesign

May 3, 2011
Interesting. Well I'm not on any carrier, mine is unlocked... But I am in the UK. You'd think these things would be simultaneous huh?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

nirogu325

Oct 15, 2010
Makes me wonder when will they deploy the updates for the Wi-Fi only units. It must be real soon.

bdfull3r

Oct 25, 2011
When does this translate into a working camera on the cm9 and galaxian soup ROMs? Lol

Fall Guy

Jan 19, 2010
If it's anything like the SGS2 the SIM free version came out a month after the carrier versions.

ZenDood

Mar 21, 2012
CardBoardBox
thx4de heads up!

this was for SGS2 in usa (central)att, rooted but cwm not working :mad:

it d/l'ed the update last nite 5/1 & this morning when i checked, it prompted for a reboot, followed by blue colored font saying updating....

then i went for coffee.. & when i checked the 'about' nfo, it still showed android 2.3.4 gingerbread. :( & was prompted to wait for 7hrs till i can check it again.

dunno update failed? process 1 of multiple? dunno
Any1else w/ the same problem/status? :confused:

for 8.9 still nothing yet.. 3.2 honeycomb

Last edited:

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
Yes i would say the update should be in a few weeks. If anything the Note is the most complicated to update due to its unique software, but its also very popular hence the urgency of the update.

nirogu325

Oct 15, 2010
International Galaxy S 2 devices updated ages ago. International Galaxy Note updating from today.
I more than once quoted a link from them (Samsung) saying they would focus on their two flagship devices first (GSII and Note) and then the tablets. It makes sense they delayed the updates because the Galaxy Tab 2 will be released next week in the US. You know, they don't want an update stealing thunder from their recently (or about to as of now) released tablet. I think we will see news about new ICS firmwares next month.