How to sim unlock the trac phone sgh-s970g galaxy s4...and possibly others

Search This thread

robhuffster

Mar 1, 2012
Salt Lake
www.riterootmods.com
Ok so this is still a work in progress but it works, and lte works on my att and tmobile sims. Ill post as many screen shots and be detailed as I possibly can so bear with me.....

So i have a samsung galaxy s4 the sgh-s970g, and a customer needed it unlocked so I thought I would give it a try. Its been a fun phone to mess with. So I am on 4.2.2 and this is the only version I have tested on. I havent tested on 4.3 so let me know if it works for you.

So my baseband is MH3. I used saferoot to root the phone and then I used the twrp for the m919 version to get a custom recovery. after this i went into recovery and made a nandroid. I would advice you do the same if your going to try this, because I am in no way responsible for anything that happens to your phone it will trip your knox counter and your warranty is now void.

ok so I have a tmobile sim in the phone the whole time because it gives you a invalid sim message and when you get rid of that the phone is unlocked. Now I flashed the wicked v-8 4.2.2 custom m919 rom onto the phone. And after that i booted it up like normal and had no problems booting it. So when it finally boots up this is what I see....

know with the tmobile rom it is asking for a sim unlock code. This is where it gets a little tricky.. Youll need to download region lock.apk
you can get it from the play store or from the developer on xda, (great app by the way). So now is when i procedded to use spt box to unlock part of this but i believe you can do it without the spt. so just set your phone up and when your done your settings should look like this... youll still have straight talk radio but everything else including kernel is the tmobile m919.

Ok so now go ahead and open up the region unlock apk and instead of pressing unlock your going to lock it. when its done go ahead and reboot it and then its going to ask your for a password again but this time you know it.. Its going to be 00000000, or atleast it was for me but like I said i dont believe spt is needed to reset the efs i believe the region lock apk will do this and it shoould say unlock succesful like this...

the only kicker is anytime you reboot your phone your going to have to run region lock and lock your modem and then reboot and type in the 8 zeros to unlock if someone figures out a better way that would be awesome.. I also believe this method could be used to help unlock the s4 l720t and sm-n900p without the assisstance of sprint. Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated and enjoy your unlocked phone....

Attachments

• 20140525_185953.jpg
    20140525_185953.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 1,306
  • 20140525_190325.jpg
    20140525_190325.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 1,316

txs.igunshot

May 8, 2014
hi bro

the only kicker is anytime you reboot your phone your going to have to run region lock and lock your modem and then reboot and type in the 8 zeros to unlock if someone figures out a better way that would be awesome.. I also believe this method could be used to help unlock the s4 l720t and sm-n900p without the assisstance of sprint. Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated and enjoy your unlocked phone....

hi bro, my question is, i have one L720T for unlock this, i need root with m919 ? and unlock with SPT BOX ???

javed91214

Feb 4, 2011
Nagpur
www.androidpolice.com
Ok so this is still a work in progress but it works, and lte works on my att and tmobile sims. Ill post as many screen shots and be detailed as I possibly can so bear with me.....

So i have a samsung galaxy s4 the sgh-s970g, and a customer needed it unlocked so I thought I would give it a try. Its been a fun phone to mess with. So I am on 4.2.2 and this is the only version I have tested on. I havent tested on 4.3 so let me know if it works for you.

So my baseband is MH3. I used saferoot to root the phone and then I used the twrp for the m919 version to get a custom recovery. after this i went into recovery and made a nandroid. I would advice you do the same if your going to try this, because I am in no way responsible for anything that happens to your phone it will trip your knox counter and your warranty is now void.

ok so I have a tmobile sim in the phone the whole time because it gives you a invalid sim message and when you get rid of that the phone is unlocked. Now I flashed the wicked v-8 4.2.2 custom m919 rom onto the phone. And after that i booted it up like normal and had no problems booting it. So when it finally boots up this is what I see....

know with the tmobile rom it is asking for a sim unlock code. This is where it gets a little tricky.. Youll need to download region lock.apk
you can get it from the play store or from the developer on xda, (great app by the way). So now is when i procedded to use spt box to unlock part of this but i believe you can do it without the spt. so just set your phone up and when your done your settings should look like this... youll still have straight talk radio but everything else including kernel is the tmobile m919.

Ok so now go ahead and open up the region unlock apk and instead of pressing unlock your going to lock it. when its done go ahead and reboot it and then its going to ask your for a password again but this time you know it.. Its going to be 00000000, or atleast it was for me but like I said i dont believe spt is needed to reset the efs i believe the region lock apk will do this and it shoould say unlock succesful like this...

Great news, i read your post on gsmforum and i was waiting for this post. will try the same on other model.
pl share the download link for tmobile rom.
Thanks a lot for your great work.

cole2kb

Apr 2, 2011
So, just to clarify, do we have to use the ROM or can we do this on stock? I have two of these LTE-T marked phones from Straight Talk that I'd like to use AT&T Straight Talk SIMs with.

imzjustplayin

Sep 11, 2013
Well I returned my $250 Black Friday special as I just have no faith in getting an unlock code for these Galaxy S4s as I wanted to use it on AT&T and I had picked up the Tmobile version. I'll have to settled for a used item instead.

jvillejoe

Jul 6, 2010
In the swamp!
After fallowing all the steps I get to the 8 0's hit enter and it just sits at the screen, and says unsuccessful. Sgh-s970g bb:mh3 av:4.2.2

jvillejoe

Jul 6, 2010
In the swamp!
Anyone know of a pay site to unlock this device. The one legit one was for over seas and I'm in US. I tried offering straight talk money and they said this phone needs to be active for 5 more months before they'll provide me the unlock code. I guess you need 12 months of active service to be eligible for the unlock program. The only thing is, is it will only work on a straight talk T-Mobile Sim until then. Tia.

james4117

Oct 31, 2015
It DOES work. I installed the wikid v8 rom on a SHG-S970G this morning, opened region lock, unlocked modem, relocked modem rebooted, and entered my unlock code and BAM, Successful unlock. Thanks a grand! By the way i bought the unlock code on a 3rd party site. Im now running ATT on the phone.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2015
Bulls Gap
Straighttalk will only unlock phones purchased on or after Dec 2013, currently active on ST Service & have been active for 12 consecutive months, if you call the unlock department you will be transferred to their automated information center if your phone is not eligible for unlocking, this is just to inform you of the requirements to unlock your device.

james4117

Oct 31, 2015
ST unlock

I've had mine 6 months... Called them 5 times and they told me everytime they couldn't unlock my phone (sgh s970g). So.. I used CHIMURA to root for free. Installed the m919 twrp for recovery. Installed wikid v8 using twrp installed regionlockaway locked the modem rebooted, entered my unlock code and it gave me a successful unlock. As stated I'm running a Straighttalk AT&T sim on mine.

airheaded1076

Dec 26, 2019
Google Pixel 5a
Extrapolate to S5?

I've had mine 6 months... Called them 5 times and they told me everytime they couldn't unlock my phone (sgh s970g). So.. I used CHIMURA to root for free. Installed the m919 twrp for recovery. Installed wikid v8 using twrp installed regionlockaway locked the modem rebooted, entered my unlock code and it gave me a successful unlock. As stated I'm running a Straighttalk AT&T sim on mine.
Do you think a similar technique can be applied to a Galaxy S5 from Net10/TracFone? I tried to use a S902L with my (Canadian ) Rogers SIM card and unsurprisingly, it didn't accept it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.