[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

Search This thread

stefanhengen

Jul 29, 2014
Also I'm planning to Change the tablet to a Nook HD+, has anyone tested DSLR Controller with it on CM11?

I just tested this combo - did not work for me.

My Setup:
Canon 7D, TP Link MR3040 V2, latest DSLRcontroller

Works on S4 Active with stock Android 4.2.2 ROM and also on S2 with CM 10.1.3

On the S4 Active I sometimes encounter connection issues.

When I start the app on the Nook HD+ it is unable to connect
"Could not find a compatible camera..."

If somebody has an idea where to start digging, I am happy to check...
I can rue out the cam and the WiFi bridge, since this works on two other devices.

Unfortunetely I do not have an OTG cable for the Nook, so I can only use WiFi.

Last edited:

martinsk2

Nov 16, 2013
Timelapse without interval

@Chainfire

The application is great. I use it in the Timelapse function as an intervalometer for making star trails.

I want to know if there is way to remove the minimum of 100 milliseconds of interval between photos

Thanks

firewater88

Feb 20, 2011
Beer City USA
Confirmed running latest dslrcontroller app with v2.x TP Link 3040, canon 60D running magic lantern. Didn't run it through the paces, but was able to see the camera and release the shutter. Running on NoteII with leaked 4.4 stock rom (rooted). Will be using it more now that I have cut the cord.
Surprised I was able to change firmware to TP Link via wifi from phone. Never plugged it into network, all wifi.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ItalloSan

jeffthecheff

Aug 5, 2014
router "turned off" message after connecting

Hello all you awesome DSLR controller users!
I'm using the tp link with a 5D_M3 and the Samsung note 3 and the first few days it worked fantastic. However I tried firing it back up and the tp link router was updated to the latest firmware last week. Now when I launch the app it connects for a minute or two and then disconnects!? When I go to the Wifi setting I see the router listed as "turned off" but it's clearly on. I tried re - flashing the router and hard resetting my phone but still not working... The tp link hooks up to my mac as stays connected without problems. What could be causing this? Please help!

jskandhari

Nov 1, 2012
Chandigarh
Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 & XT912 Compatibility ?

Just wondering whether it is compatible with Droid Ultra and Droid Razr, as I tend to attach Canon 700D with OTG to Motorola Razr & then connect Razr to Ultra Tethered Wifi or a Huwaei Wifi Dongle both capable of streaming & receiving.

rtenklooster

Nov 1, 2008
Hi Chainfire!
First i want to complement you on your great work. I have installed your firmware on the TL3040 i ordered, it workes like a charm icm. my 700D.
Combined with a cheap android tablet it's great! I have impressed a lot of family members with your app :)

For now there is just one thing i'm missing in your firmware, i would love to have the option to just send a trigger command, by http, tcp or whatever e.g. 192.x.x.:port/shoot. ( or a kind of json / rest api) This would give me the possibillity to create a webapp on a cheap android phone as a simple remote control, connected to the 3040, to make selfies of me, together with my pregnant wife, my current self made "klik aan klik uit" remote control has a limited range... It would also give me the opportunity to play around with my raspberry pi, control over wifi instead of gpio pins and a couple of mosfets. Combine it with my home domotic system etc etc.

This function can be added to the to link firmware but also to the android app, however integrating it in the firmware would make an android client optional. I noticed my regular EOS remote is disabled when using the USB connection.

Hope you can help me out on this, or put it on your app's wishlist :)

Richard

Last edited:

Umarabdaziz

Apr 29, 2013
nice

Hello, i've tested the app on my Xperia Z 4.4.2 with my Canon 650d. It's work perfectly using the TL MR3040. Just a noob question, is there any way that could reduce the lag? anyway it's a god job! :D

T

TheHitman

Hi, today i can't get the apps to talk to my camera, neither with USB or with router... I recently updated my ROM (Clean 3.6 on Nexus 7)

I don't see any other reason, it was working fine until today.

Any suggestion beside going back to Clean 3.5 ?

Thanks

EDIT : nevermind, wrong cable ;)

Last edited:

Jonnyrocks4

Aug 20, 2012
Hey, I absolutely love the app!

I wanted to suggest a feature I would love to have:
A combination of the focus bracketing and the timelapse mode.
So you can control the focus during timelapse recording.
I tried to manually adjust the focus on the lense each frame but it's not consistent and also I can't adjust in small enough steps.
So focus buttons rep. focus from A to B during timelapse would be awesome.

Thanks for your work! :good:

mirojan

May 17, 2009
fold up mirror function

Hello Chainfire
Thank you for the nice App. :laugh:
I miss one function… :crying:
I look for a fold up mirror function….
I need the fold up mirror in stacking mode and with flash .
Do you have one setting proposal for me, please?
thanks for your answer

nice greeting :)
mirojan

Last edited:

mvalburg

Mar 3, 2014
Calibrated tablet

In my eagerness about DSLR Controller, I'm jumping the gun and asking a question before I've been able to actually use the app. I'm awaiting the arrival of the proper OTG USB cable for my Asus tf700t's non-standard combo charging/usb port.

The only way I could find some months ago of profiling an Android tablet's display for color accuracy was the Spyder Gallery app (used with a Spyder colorimeter). This app can only apply the resulting profile within its own Gallery app.

I am wildly ignorant about coding, so please bear with me if my question is naive or blatantly impossible.

Can DSLR Controller be configured (or easily altered?) to function in any way inside the Spyder Gallery? This would shorten the steps for soft-proofing shots (by not requiring that each saved shot be separately opened in the SGallery), or - even better - grab and use the profile generated by the Spyder software and apply it within DSLR Controller?

Thanks for your patience, and for a really cool app.

Last edited:

marcbkk

Nov 2, 2013
I am using the latest version of DSLR Controller with a TP-Link TL-MR3040 router Ver 2.3 and the DSLR Controller app drops the connection constantly.

Usually I am no more than 5-10 feet away from the camera with the tablet so it is not a distance issue. When it drops the connection, the tablet still has the connection to the router, but I need to restart the DSLR Controller app to get it all working again. Other times I have to restart the camera and the app to get the connection with the app working again. Sometimes I even need to power the router off and restart it too.

I am using a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 running Android KitKat 4.4.

Has anyone else had this same problem? Perhaps my router is a newer version (Ver 2.3) and the DLSR Controller custom firmware needs to be updated for it?

spoogedemon

Dec 23, 2009
I´m using DSLRController since it appears on the Play Store, and it´s still awesome, and, it becomes better and better... ;)

Now I just added the TL-MR3040 to my setup, and this works as well.

But one question.
OpenWRT is very powerful, and I had it on other routers before.
But I wonder if the router works exactly like it should for any other application, even the DSLR-version is flashed?

Since I´m often use a small router connecting in hotel rooms with cable to share internet connection via Wi-Fi, it would be great to have just the 3040 with me for DSLR and normal use in the future.

Vampire_Dracula

Dec 13, 2003
I like a lot the latest update [2014.07.09] mainly because of the timelapse enhancements.

I have one suggestion, to make it even better, please add additional controls:
- ISO control in all shooting modes
- exposure compensation, when shooting in AV
- a histogram!!!

When shooting in AV, the camera has the tendency to increase the ISO before increasing the exposure time. Controlling the ISO can help maintaining a low noise frame longer.
Moreover, when shooting in AV, it is sometimes useful to be able to manually vary the exposure compensation (i.e sunsets). A histogram can help with a proper exposure to the right.

The histogram can also make the holy-grail method possible with DSLR Controller. It can be even more useful than the little thumbnail showing the last frame.

http://vimeo.com/71496530

ixtlan007

Jul 29, 2012
Problem with EOS 450 D

Hi Chainfire

I admire all your android works. In particular, DSLR Controller is one my favorite apps and definitely the best android camera controller out there.

I know that I don't have much of a saying here since I use DSLC with a low end EOS 450D (based on VxWorks OS) in a MR3040 WiFi setup.

Up till now version 0.99 was the only version which relatively worked smoothly in my set up. Although in HDR bracketing mode and when shutter is set to BULB, exposures longer than 30 seconds caused a communication error with camera which crashed the app.

Any newer version of the app, specially v. 0.99.4 and 0.99.5 of the app are even more incompatible with my camera, constantly crashing and force quitting.

As I said I don't expect too much, but if possible could you please look into the issue and see if it can be fixed somehow?

Thank you and warm regards

Last edited:

Terry.666

Feb 28, 2010
Brisbane
www.lightformation.com
Back focus

Hi Chainfire
I'm using your DSLR Controller from the first moment I find it in the Market...
I had the EOS 5D mkII then the III and now the 1D X, worked fine with all of them and recently I added the TL-MR3040 which work fine too.
THANK YOU for this amazing app.
The ONLY problem I'm facing is that the DSLR confuse itself in the beginning as I use "Back Focus" and thinks that my AF doesn't work and only Manual focus is available... I had this problem from the time I started use "BF" with my 5DIII... Any chance you can allow the Back focus in the app??????? PLEASE!!! :D

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Hello Chainfire
Thank you for the nice App. :laugh:
I miss one function… :crying:
I look for a fold up mirror function….
I need the fold up mirror in stacking mode and with flash .
Do you have one setting proposal for me, please?
thanks for your answer

nice greeting :)
mirojan

Hi mate
I think that if your camera allow the "Mirror Lock Up" then the only think you need is to set up your camera and the DSLR will use your setup...
I haven't try it with mine, please don't be upset if I'm wrong :laugh:

Ooops Correction: Didn't work with mine.... Sorry!

Last edited:

90c4

Jun 28, 2013
Hi Chainfire
I'm using your DSLR Controller from the first moment I find it in the Market...
I had the EOS 5D mkII then the III and now the 1D X, worked fine with all of them and recently I added the TL-MR3040 which work fine too.
THANK YOU for this amazing app.
The ONLY problem I'm facing is that the DSLR confuse itself in the beginning as I use "Back Focus" and thinks that my AF doesn't work and only Manual focus is available... I had this problem from the time I started use "BF" with my 5DIII... Any chance you can allow the Back focus in the app??????? PLEASE!!! :D

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Hi mate
I think that if your camera allow the "Mirror Lock Up" then the only think you need is to set up your camera and the DSLR will use your setup...
I haven't try it with mine, please don't be upset if I'm wrong :laugh:

Ooops Correction: Didn't work with mine.... Sorry!

What I do is have a custom setting that I switch my mode dial to without back button focusing when using the app.

Reactions: Terry.666

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In an effort to de-duplicate a lot of information, I have moved the bulk of it to the DSLR Controller website. This thread still remains the place to get support, discuss, and ask questions, though!

DSLR Controller was the first and remains the best app to fully control your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device, through USB cable or Wi-Fi connection. No computer or laptop required, no root required, only a compatible mobile device, a compatible camera, and if connecting through USB, the right cable.

We strongly suggest you read up on the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) about what DSLR Controller can do, how it works, and how to use it, before purchasing. The website contains a wealth of information you should know before using.

Not all devices are compatible, especially if you want to use a USB connection. For a free app you can use to test compatibility, see the "Remote Release" app ( http://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.remoterelease ). If you need a refund, go to our website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) and follow the instructions in the FAQ entry. We cannot process refunds through email.

Usage notes, feature lists, device compatibility lists, changelogs, FAQs, can all be found on our website: http://dslrcontroller.com/

Most questions should go to the support and discussion thread at XDA-Developers.com:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1202082

Features

Features include but are not limited to:

- Live View
    - Auto Focus (tap Live View)
    - Manual focus adjustments (in AF mode)
    - Histogram
    - Zoom control
    - Grid and aspect ratio overlay
    - Bulb capture
    - Continuous capture
    - Image review (+ follow shot, gallery)
    - Image filters (peaking, contrast, channel mask, grayscale, 4 modes/filter)
    - Video recording
    - HDR/Auto Exposure Bracketing
    - Focus Bracketing (incl. HDR)
    - Focus A-B
    - Mirror Lockup support
    - Timelapse (incl. HDR)
    - Wi-Fi Passthrough
    - Extensive modification of settings
    -- Shutter speed
    -- Aperture
    -- ExpComp and Bracket
    -- ISO speed
    -- Auto-Focus Mode
    -- Focus and Zoom area (tap-and-hold Live View)
    -- Picture Style
    -- Drive Mode
    -- White Balance
    -- Color Temperature
    -- Auto-Lighting Optimizer
    -- Metering Mode
    -- Image and video quality and format

Available options depend on the mode you have your camera set to (M, Av, Tv, etc) and camera model. Refer to the website ( http://dslrcontroller.com/ ) for further details.

Supported Android devices:

If you are connecting using Wi-Fi, virtually all modern Android devices are supported (your camera needs Wi-Fi support, though). If you are connecting over USB, your device needs USB host support - most recent devices do. Please see the 'Devices' section on our website ( https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php ) for further information.

If your camera only supports USB, you can modify a TL-MR3040 to provide a Wi-Fi connection ( http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php )

Supported Canon EOS models:

Newer cameras than listed below are usually supported.

Full support:
    - 1D Mark IV
    - 1D X
    - 1D X Mark II
    - 5D Mark II
    - 5D Mark III
    - 5D Mark IV
    - 5Ds(r)
    - 50D
    - 500D
    - 550D
    - 6D
    - 60D
    - 600D
    - 650D
    - 7D
    - 7D Mark II
    - 70D
    - 700D
    - 750D
    - 760D
    - 80D
    - 1100D
    - 1200D
    - 1300D
    - 100D

Limited support:
    - 1D mk III
    - 1Ds mk III
    - 30D
    - 40D
    - 400D
    - 450D
    - 1000D

No support:
    - pre-2006 models
    - EOS M mirrorless devices (work in progress)

Let us know which hardware you are using with DSLR Controller!
    Must-read information

Screenshots and video:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/about.php

Download, BETA usage notes, and changelogs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/download.php

Table of supported Android devices and Canon EOS DSLRs:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php

FAQ:
    http://dslrcontroller.com/faq.php
    I am a professional architectural photographer and have adopted your DSLR app into my workflow. Thank you for the great design and amazing functionality. It is a pleasure to work with*.

I would like to know what the future holds for DSLR Contorller. I noticed you are not very active on this forum (last post on 2/26/2015), but wanted to encourage you to keep on developing because I, We need it!!!

DSLR Controller was originally built for Android 2.x years ago, and a lot of things have changed both in the camera world as well as the mobile world. Despite bolting on many improvements, the code shows its age. To take it to the next level and get everything I want into it (customizability, compatibility, portability, speed, etc), a lot of the core needs to be changed, the UI needs to be changed (if not in appearance or functionality then certainly how it's been coded), etc. It pretty much comes down to not just overhauling major parts, but completely redoing it from scratch, and rebuilding it as envisioned from the ground up.

This brings with it a number of issues. It is a lot of development time (and thus money) investment up front, of which you will see no results, until it is almost done. In the mean time, you can't really release anything that isn't up to par with the current version of DSLR Controller, and you can't just replace the current version as old users/devices may no longer be compatible, stranding paying customers. A lot of additional equipment needs to be gotten and tested with to ensure compatibility and portability (remote and end-user testing isn't really workable with apps like these). Not to mention that DSLRs are pretty much doomed, and this is definitely being reflected in daily sales.

The past year hasn't been very good on a personal level, which isn't your problem of course, but it is one reason for the lapse in development of certain apps. This one adds to the fact that in light of the above, it feels like a waste of resources to spend a lot of time on improvements in the current app. There have been talks with a team (from a big brand in the camera world) to take over the IP, pretty much solving the resource problem, but ultimately that fell through, after the talks taking up a large part of my time for months.

Also, I know it seems like DSLR Controller has generated a lot of funds, but spread out over the years its been available, subtracting equipment costs, corporate taxes, wage taxes, etc, you wouldn't be able to hire one(!) half-competent coder for the money left at today's going rates, not to mention the risks involved with hiring people. Even though I do get paid and get all these toys to play with, wanting to build it has always been a large part of this, as there are definitely more profitable ways to spend the time. At the same time having to compete with $300 equipment, and people still complaining about the $8 price.

This app is also a complete nightmare to support, as by far the bulk of the connection issues are not due to the app itself, but due to camera configuration, phone configuration, hardware incompatibilities, firmware incompatibilities, etc. That is, excepting the case where DSLR Controller just hangs, which sometimes (but definitely not always) is an issue with the app. Not to mention the droves of questions and reported issues by people who simply don't understand how their cameras work.

All of that being said, I do believe there may be a business case where a rebuild with additional features and support for Nikon and/or Sony and/or (insert other brands here) and other OSs like Linux, iOS, OS X, Windows, etc using a shared core may at least break even. That is, providing I can find competent developers to do it (as there is no way I can pull this off by myself), and finding said competent developers with at least somewhat relevant skills might in fact be the biggest problem to solve. Still, even in the best case scenario, I don't believe any work will get started before end-of-summer.

Don't mistake the lack of visible activity for lack of interest. What to do with DSLR Controller and how to get there is something I consider every day, as in the end, it's still the app I've enjoyed most developing over the years. But if the solution means spending more resources updating the current app, developing a new one, or investing funds to get a whole new company off the ground with a handful of people to cover both major brands and major OSs - that I don't know yet. But I do hope to have an answer to that sooner rather than later.

(this post was written in a rush as I need to run for another appointment but I didn't want to leave this unsaid, so if it's jumping here and there and not fully coherent, that's why)
    Hey Chainfire, I was wondering if there was an ETA for the next update? I know asking such things is never liked, Im not looking for a hard date just a rough idea and if there is anything else we can do to help?

After next week I have three weeks reserved for exclusive DSLR Controller work, if that doesn't finished the upcoming update, I'd be surprised :)
    The price will go up once v1.0 is reached, but the upgrade is free for those who have this BETA???

Why can't I see free version?

Because it's good software and the developer deserves to get paid. Beta doesn't mean it's not valuable, it means that the software isn't very mature or well tested. if you want it now, you pay. If you want to pay once it's well tested and proven then wait.

Either way, quit your sniveling people. This is an AMAZING deal at that price. If you can afford a DSLR and know how to use it, you can afford 10 times this and would gladly pay it. If you think otherwise, you likely don't need this software to begin with and have nothing to complain about.