[Q] Droid Ultra wired-display on T.V. w/ XC-M cable?

Search This thread

Glow162

Mar 5, 2014
Austin
Allllllright, so:

I (unfortunately) just ended up with a Droid Ultra;
after my Droid Bionic just pooped out on me, my insurance replaced it with the Droid Ultra since they don't manufacture the Bionic anymore.

I so-easily used to connect my Bionic to my T.V. with a nice, cheap little $10 mini-HDMI to HDMI cable.

But now, Motorola decided to stop including mini-HDMI ports on their phones, including the Droid Ultra, and now make you buy a pricey adapter to wirelessly display your phone on the T.V.

Not wanting to get suckered in so easily, i went to target to see if by some miracle-of-a-how they had a mini USB -to- HDMI cable:
and they did!

It's called the XC-M High Definition TV Link for $30, and it even has a micro USB adapter.

Perfect, no $80 wireless adapter for me!.. or so I thought;

I connected the Droid Ultra right into the T.V. and nothing happened. (with my Bionic, it would just pop up instantly on the T.V.)

So I went into the settings to find the mirror display option (or whatever that's called) to turn it on, only to find a single "wireless display" option, and none for a wired connection..

It seems that: Motorola blocked the native capability to make a wired connection with a T.V.
in order to force everyone that wants to display their phone on their T.V. into buying an $80 wireless adapter.

Is this true?!?

The Droid Bionic was ready to go with built-in mini HDMI, but still allowed to use a wireless display adapter (i think)

Now they're "upgrading" their phones to:

no longer be able to make a wired connection to the T.V...?

not to mention, no SD card slot / support (why on EARTH would they do this??)

So my ultimate question is:

Is there any way to make this cable be able to display my phone on the T.V. without having to buy a wireless display adapter?
Like maybe rooting my phone; If I root my Droid Ultra, would I then be able to go in and unblock whatever's telling it to not register that cable?

or does it even work like that? LOL

Also, (bonus question): Am I really seeing Motorola removing features from their phones in a greedy plot to force their consumers to have to buy expensive accessories to allow them to do what their older phones natively allowed them to do?

Or is there some other reason for this nonsense?

Because to me, it seems like just that: greedy nonsense.