[TABUNTU] Galaxy Tab 10.1 NATIVE Ubuntu WIFI now with a video

Search This thread

poitee

Dec 23, 2010
Smh the youtube function hates me... click HERE to watch the video...

Touchscreen not working right as of yet... I strongly suggest a USB mouse and Keyboard for this... Touchscreen is pretty much unusable at this time. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

First start off downloading THIS. It is the ROOTFS.. first off it needs to have the /etc/fstab edited properly to include / as mmcblk0p11 instead of 13... I know I know... This is a work in progress....

Next download THIS... Contains the ubuntu kernel and boot information.. the boot.img and system.img are for your stock ANDROID rom of choice.. just extract the IMG's out of the roms and place them in the folder..

Download THIS and place it in the directory you extracted the above files to.

ADB does work.. and you can ADB into your tab.. I have not created Windows directions yet.. but you can pretty much run the same commands...

I AM NOT TO BLAME FOR ANYTHING! This REPARTITIONS your device and ERASES EVERYTHING... you must do a FULL ODIN to restore to STOCK.... I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your device.

remember to chmod +x nvflash and the script...

And wait......... It takes about 20 minutes to flash everything... be patient..

When it is done flashing boot up like you were going to go into CWM recovery... Your recovery is now your linux boot image.. You can use NVFlash to flash back CWM to apply whatever and just flash the linux.img back to partition 8 to get ubuntu back..

Thanks again to LilStevie.. without him this would not be possible...

my github code is availabe here.

If you would like to donate for my work and to the OMFGB/OMGB build box which I own and run click HERE

I'll pretty this up when I have a free minute...

Last edited:

poitee

Dec 23, 2010
Hmph.. I would have thought more interest would have been shown in this... Should I continue development???? The asus guys love ubuntu on there tabs..... you guys let me know..

Reactions: Edubyah

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I'm sure there's tons of interest. These tab 10.1 threads seem so slow at times. a lot different then I'm used to. I'd keep goin with it bro. its gonna be sweet.

rob61280

Jul 28, 2005
Liverpool, U.K.
Hmph.. I would have thought more interest would have been shown in this... Should I continue development???? The asus guys love ubuntu on there tabs..... you guys let me know..

This would derinately be useful to me, even more so if it could be dual booted, although I suspect my locked bootloader could be a stumbling block. Thanks for the effort you've put in so far.

R

poitee

Dec 23, 2010
This would derinately be useful to me, even more so if it could be dual booted, although I suspect my locked bootloader could be a stumbling block. Thanks for the effort you've put in so far.

R

It does dual boot... what it does is make your recovery partition your boot partition for ubuntu..

as far as locked bootloader... Im not sure..

Reactions: Edubyah

dsh897

Dec 19, 2007
Of course were interested. Stop slacking and get past an alpha stage to a bets stage so we can all play. :)

Goodwork

This is awesome! Definitely keep up the good work. It should work on a locked tab no problem you'll just need to use Odin instead of nvflash so a bit of modification is needed to wrap those images into md5 files for Odin. If I have some free time I'll try it on my locked tab.

rob61280

Jul 28, 2005
Liverpool, U.K.
Wow I just saw the video and I'm very impressed, I can see this making my netbook redundant :) I'll try it out once it becomes odin flashable and I have the time to find out more about how it works.

Thanks again for the effort so far.

R

Vlad_z

Mar 25, 2011

Yes, I would love to see some Linux working on a galaxy tab with touch screen functioning at minimum.

I was following viewsonic grab Ubuntu thread since last December but developers never got it working. Also video drivers was generic ones without hardware acceleration, camera and sensors did not work either... but this was less important for me then touch screen functionality.

If you can make it happen then by all means you should continue...

originalone

Jul 28, 2011
nice...

would any of the existing tegra2 development from motorola help? they got ubuntu running on the atrix device.. maybe something can be used?

im pretty sure it can be distributed onto many devices, as the ventana platform is standard, but drivers for touch, panel etc is missing..

how did you get the boot changed? how is the bootloader able to boot between 2 different kernels? do you have the source for bootloader available?

TheDub

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2010
Im into it, but not until the touchscreen and the clockwork is fixed

+1. I agree, especially about the Touchscreen, not many have the USB adapter to play around with it so that's probably why the reply count is low.

I think once it's usable without a mouse and keyboard you will see an explosion of interest in this. It's really a good idea to... really opens up the power of these things. Android is nice but it's kiddy stuff compared to a full blown Linux distro.

Linux for Tegra should help provide native 3D acceleration and stuff to If I'm not mistaken... I see a bright future for Ubuntu on tablets. (for nerds like us anyways ;))

Please don't stop development! lol I really look forward to it :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Smh the youtube function hates me... click HERE to watch the video...

Touchscreen not working right as of yet... I strongly suggest a USB mouse and Keyboard for this... Touchscreen is pretty much unusable at this time. I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

First start off downloading THIS. It is the ROOTFS.. first off it needs to have the /etc/fstab edited properly to include / as mmcblk0p11 instead of 13... I know I know... This is a work in progress....

Next download THIS... Contains the ubuntu kernel and boot information.. the boot.img and system.img are for your stock ANDROID rom of choice.. just extract the IMG's out of the roms and place them in the folder..

Download THIS and place it in the directory you extracted the above files to.

ADB does work.. and you can ADB into your tab.. I have not created Windows directions yet.. but you can pretty much run the same commands...

I AM NOT TO BLAME FOR ANYTHING! This REPARTITIONS your device and ERASES EVERYTHING... you must do a FULL ODIN to restore to STOCK.... I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your device.

remember to chmod +x nvflash and the script...

And wait......... It takes about 20 minutes to flash everything... be patient..

When it is done flashing boot up like you were going to go into CWM recovery... Your recovery is now your linux boot image.. You can use NVFlash to flash back CWM to apply whatever and just flash the linux.img back to partition 8 to get ubuntu back..

Thanks again to LilStevie.. without him this would not be possible...

my github code is availabe here.

If you would like to donate for my work and to the OMFGB/OMGB build box which I own and run click HERE

I'll pretty this up when I have a free minute...
    some screenshots...I finally launched the on-screen keyboard...if you want a video tell me...

SC20120723-183400.jpg

SC20120723-183259.jpg

Actually,I recorded a video of Ubuntu with my phone but took screens of it's playback in Honeycomb(in case of misunderstanding...).
    I think I'm going to give this build a try and hopefully continue the current effort. I really want ubuntu native on my P7510.
    Nice work, Poitee.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 via Tapatalk
    I have a question....Since it replaces the CWM and NOT the Android os, is it possible to dualboot?If yes how?
    It says format everything and then flash the linux...
    But then wouldn't be the Android os be deleted also?how to flash it with out CWM?(I can only think of flashing stock HC 3.2 with odin).

P.S.I am pretty sure that official ICS from sammy will have the 3.1.10 or higher kernel,so wiil this get us closer to touchscreen?
    (http://www.htcmania.com/showpost.php?p=5154863&postcount=7)

The original package in the OP won't delete Android. There is actually an Odin package a few pages back that allows you to keep recory and but remove Android. it mkaes mounting the tablet A LOT easier.

@nighthawk696969:
    The ubuntu installer doesn't REPLACE the recovery...try it yourself...
    if you have problems like rolling screen after flashing download the bootloader from this address(it's named "bootloader.tar.md5" :
    https://sites.google.com/site/arashtarafar/
    @The others:
    WOW...I finally got it passed the installation without the keyboard!!!
    Amazing speed and graphics are good...but I doesn't show battery stats and I don't have WiFi/Bluetooth...;)

You can actually get WiFi working, sadly poitee's instructions weren't clear enough for me to try but you can find it on Rootzwiki if you're up for it.

What would be ideal, although not sure how possible it is would be to use the on screen keyboard but not have it displayed by hdmi out. I'm thinking layers could be the key, if the keyboard was IN a layer not output to the hdmi then we would have tabbuntu that you can hook up to any monitor and use a full size keyboard on the tab.

Just a thought.

You could probably extend the display, though firstly, I don't even know if Ubuntu ARM can do that, secondly, I don't know if our hacked up kernel can do that, and lastly, how much funu would that be if you can't use the touchscreen? If bluetooth was working it could be heaven.