[Rom] CM9 Barely Alpha ***UPDATED OP***

Search This thread

lfaber06

To Flash****UPDATED******
- Boot into safestrap
-Select safe system
-toggle safe system on
(It seems we have an issue wiping the safe strap /data and /cache so these additional steps are needed for now)
-quick toggle safe system off *****MUST BE A QUICK TOGGLE*****
-wipe data/factory reset
(To be safe wipe the following)
-Wipe Cache partition
-format /system
-wipe dalvik cache (Found a bug in safestrap that prevents us from wiping dalvik cache see thread)
-quick toggle safe system on *****MUST BE A QUICK TOGGLE*****
Now, flash the rom. (Selecting external Sdcard)
Safestrap works alot like a dual boot, so you can always return to your stock system by simply disabling safestrap in the safe boot menu.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1425026

This is ics for the droid 3 by hashcode, same guy that gave us permission to unofficially port and support safestrap. It does boot and work on our phones.

This is what i know for sure right now
-Wifi works
-Most tasks and apps work
-market is broken
-calling/texting is broken, looks like its stuck on cdma?
-accelerometer is broken

What I'd like to see from here is some one willing to take over my project on this rom. I have a few of my own flash able zips complied with various tweaks to hopefully be able to make and receive calls, no success yet. I will keep trying but this is a project better suited for some one who is not so new to the linux environment. (I just got my first linux box 2 weeks ago)

Please enjoy and the thanks button is below the download link :D

Proof It works! http://youtu.be/B_J3fs80dV0

**************-Edit*************************************************************************
I have decided to take on this project. I will post a more "ported" version as I progress on it, These things take time so please be patient. The information contained above should only be used as a "prof of concept" sort of thing. Anyone willing to help may do so here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428117

Last edited:

Calundle

Dec 26, 2010
Oklahoma
I've followed all the steps in safestrap, got it working, except mounting SD (is that expected?), but after I flash the CM9 zip while in safe mode, I reboot and get stuck with a black screen. Anyone else get this working? It seems to flash rather fast which seems abnormal to me.

lordlittlebrooks

Jan 17, 2011
New York City
I agree that this Alpha 4 is stuck on CDMA. If anyone has gotten 3g to work, please let me know how you did it. I tried entering their little trick *#*#4636#*#*, rebooted, wiped cache and dalvik like they said and still nothing.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Flash this using safestrap only.
To Flash
Boot into safestrap
Select safe system
toggle safe system on
wipe data/factory reset
Wipe Cache partition
format /system
wipe dalvik cache
Safestrap works alot like a dual boot, so you can always return to your stock system by simply disabling safestrap in the safe boot menu.

This is ics for the droid 3 by hashcode, same guy that gave us permission to unofficially port and support safestrap. It does boot and work on our phones.

-Wifi works
-Most areas of the phone work
-phone is broken, looks like its stuck on cdma?

What I'd like to see from here is some one willing to take over my project on this rom. I have a few of my own flash able zips complied with various tweaks to hopefully be able to make and receive calls, no success yet. I will keep trying but this is a project better suited for some one who is not so new to the linux environment. (I just got my first linux box 2 weeks ago)

Have you tried replacing /system/lib/hw, /system/etc/bluetooth, /system/etc/firmware, and /system/etc/ppp, and /system/etc/wifi, with the directories from our ROM, also try replacing /system/app/TelephonyProviders.apk, with the one from our ROM?

That might actually work. That is what I have done for the one I am working on, we shall see how far that gets me..... I had read someplace, that those are very important, right after the radio image, for proper hardware operation on a phone with another ROM.

Jim

Calundle

Dec 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Why can't I get this to boot? I go into safestrap, put it on safemode, wipe all the necessary things, flash the zip, reboot, and I get a black screen. If I take it off safe mode it goes back to my stock ROM successfully.

lfaber06

Why can't I get this to boot? I go into safestrap, put it on safemode, wipe all the necessary things, flash the zip, reboot, and I get a black screen. If I take it off safe mode it goes back to my stock ROM successfully.

Try this. Using safestrap, make a Full backup Including webtop to be safe. then disable safe mode and factory reset, then wipe dalvik cache, then format /system, then wipe /data, enable safe mode, flash it, and let me know.

Reactions: JTStudios

Calundle

Dec 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Try this. Using safestrap, make a Full backup Including webtop to be safe. then disable safe mode and factory reset, then wipe dalvik cache, then format /system, then wipe /data, enable safe mode, flash it, and let me know.
Alright I'm trying it as we speak. So is the SD card currently unmountable in safestrap? If I do a backup while in safemode, won't that backup the safemode ROM, which is the CM9 one I can't get to work? I don't really understand how the safemode/no safemode works. I was under the impression that my stock ROM is under no safemode so anything I do with safemode off will effect that (meaning when I do the format and wipes you're talking about it would do that to my stock ROM), then when I turn safemode on everything I do effects the other ROM. Can you clarify for me?

Reactions: alcatel444

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Alright I'm trying it as we speak. So is the SD card currently unmountable in safestrap? If I do a backup while in safemode, won't that backup the safemode ROM, which is the CM9 one I can't get to work? I don't really understand how the safemode/no safemode works. I was under the impression that my stock ROM is under no safemode so anything I do with safemode off will effect that (meaning when I do the format and wipes you're talking about it would do that to my stock ROM), then when I turn safemode on everything I do effects the other ROM. Can you clarify for me?

Not exactly..... safestrap knows which ROM is your stock system, and which one is the "safestrap". It calls your stock rom /systemorig or something similar, and then when in safe mode, it will mount the stock system to /systemorig and back that up as well as /system, which will be the CM9 rom, that is why you had to partition your card a certain way, to make this work right.

Reactions: alcatel444

Calundle

Dec 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Not exactly..... safestrap knows which ROM is your stock system, and which one is the "safestrap". It calls your stock rom /systemorig or something similar, and then when in safe mode, it will mount the stock system to /systemorig and back that up as well as /system, which will be the CM9 rom, that is why you had to partition your card a certain way, to make this work right.
Ah thanks for the explanation. So, when you backup it does a backup of both system and systemorig, both roms, how do you go about wiping one rom and not the other? Am I correct in saying if you have safemode off and do wipes/restores it will do that to your stock rom, but if it's on it will do it to the systemorig one, then backing up with it off does a backup of stock rom, and when it's on it backs up both?

Calundle

Dec 26, 2010
Oklahoma
Safestrap will only allow you to wipe your non safe data. it will not let you wipe your safe system aka "stock rom".
Awesome. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm familiar with CWM, but this is new territory for me. I really appreciate it. I'm doing the steps you provided. Am I basically doing a complete backup, complete wipe of both ROMs, then trying to install CM9 on the safe partition?

EDIT: I don't want to clutter this thread with questions about safestrap so I'll take any further questions to it's thread. Thanks again.

Last edited:

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Awesome. Sorry for all of the questions, I'm familiar with CWM, but this is new territory for me. I really appreciate it. I'm doing the steps you provided. Am I basically doing a complete backup, complete wipe of both ROMs, then trying to install CM9 on the safe partition?

No, you will only be making changes to the safestrap ROM, not the system ROM.... The backup will currently only be the stock ROM. now if when you enable safestrap do a backup, then disable safestrap, while in safestrap and taking a backup, you can backup the "safetrap" ROM, not the system ROM....

Now if you follow the directions in the original post, you will end up with two bootable ROMs on your phone. you really are only interested in the safestrap one right now, so doing the backup before flashing will ONLY backup the stock ROM. and you will not wipe the stock ROM either so to speak, because you can "dual" boot both ROMs by enabling and disabling the safestrap.

Calundle

Dec 26, 2010
Oklahoma
No, you will only be making changes to the safestrap ROM, not the system ROM.... The backup will currently only be the stock ROM. now if when you enable safestrap do a backup, then disable safestrap, while in safestrap and taking a backup, you can backup the "safetrap" ROM, not the system ROM....

Now if you follow the directions in the original post, you will end up with two bootable ROMs on your phone. you really are only interested in the safestrap one right now, so doing the backup before flashing will ONLY backup the stock ROM. and you will not wipe the stock ROM either so to speak, because you can "dual" boot both ROMs by enabling and disabling the safestrap.
Ah okay okay, I think I understand how it works now. I've tried the steps in the OP and the ones faber mentioned and I'm still getting a blank black screen after reboot. How long should it take to flash the CM9 zip? It takes like 6-10 seconds for me and from my experience that's rather short for a ROM. Could the zip have gotten corrupted?

lfaber06

Have you tried replacing /system/lib/hw, /system/etc/bluetooth, /system/etc/firmware, and /system/etc/ppp, and /system/etc/wifi, with the directories from our ROM, also try replacing /system/app/TelephonyProviders.apk, with the one from our ROM?

That might actually work. That is what I have done for the one I am working on, we shall see how far that gets me..... I had read someplace, that those are very important, right after the radio image, for proper hardware operation on a phone with another ROM.

Jim

Yup just tried it, I get "Unfortunately, phone has stopped" over and over so i guess its force closing.

duke8804

Aug 4, 2011

Jim

Has anyone tried this yet? If not I will mess with it and let you know what happens.

jimbridgman

Dec 21, 2007
Dallas, TX
Yup just tried it, I get "Unfortunately, phone has stopped" over and over so i guess its force closing.

Has anyone tried this yet? If not I will mess with it and let you know what happens.

Yep lfaber06 tried it, and if you read his reply noted in the top quote here in my reply it keeps force closing..... To bad, I am guessing because it is ICS and not GB, like out phone is currently.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To Flash****UPDATED******
    - Boot into safestrap
    -Select safe system
    -toggle safe system on
    (It seems we have an issue wiping the safe strap /data and /cache so these additional steps are needed for now)
    -quick toggle safe system off *****MUST BE A QUICK TOGGLE*****
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -Wipe Cache partition
    -format /system
    -wipe dalvik cache (Found a bug in safestrap that prevents us from wiping dalvik cache see thread)
    -quick toggle safe system on *****MUST BE A QUICK TOGGLE*****

-Wifi works
    -Most tasks and apps work
    -market is broken
    -calling/texting is broken, looks like its stuck on cdma?
    -accelerometer is broken

Proof It works! http://youtu.be/B_J3fs80dV0

**************-Edit*************************************************************************
    I have decided to take on this project. I will post a more "ported" version as I progress on it, These things take time so please be patient. The information contained above should only be used as a "prof of concept" sort of thing. Anyone willing to help may do so here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428117
    Maybe it is time to scrap this CM9 port attempt!

So, I am working on a full compile from source of CM9. At the moment, I am not interested in turning it into a ROM, but automating the process of setting up the environment, pulling the source, pulling the files off our phone that we need, and performing the compile, all from a linux script.

I will link the XDA post that I am basing my information on, and my script will closely resemble commands from this page, as well as other things that are needed, that I have learned.

Once I have it all working I will create a new post with the script, for those ROM devs in here, that would like to help out.

I will attempt the first build of CM9 and see how far I can get, who knows maybe I can get us a ROM and kernel with kexec built in, that we can actually use.

So far my script is pulling down the source and syncing the CM repo, and this will go on for several hours.

Here is where I started my search and got several of the commands from, but I will advise, a lot of this is deprecated, but it led me in the right direction:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26128271

Here is a screen print of my script in action, pulling down the source and needed files:

picture.php

And yes I am pulling down the WHOLE cyanogenmod tree, not just CM9, so we can attempt a new build of cm7 with some mods to the same script, if everyone wants.
    There is a new patch from the Razr forum that allows GSM devices to run CDMA Roms you can find it HERE might be something to try out!
    In looking around gsmarena, I haven't found any Sony phone with comparable radio specs.
    I kinda think that this speculation that sony phones have this radio may come from confusion between ST-Ericsson and Sony Ericsson.

Supposedly some Samsung phones use M570 based chips (ie: Galaxy S)...

Why hasn't ifixit torn down our phone yet? :confused:

I am going to debunk this whole m570 being the same as our chip/radio. The only reason that lfaber06 and I felt that it was sony, was because several other GSM phones that moto has put out have shared the same chips as the sony phones, not the ST Ericsson/Sony phones.

I suspect one of two things at this point:

1) We have a new radio that has not been used by another phone yet.

2) As suspected we share the same chip/radio as one of the newer sony phones.

P.S. when it was first thought we had the m570 radio, I did a ton of research on it, and found that it is very different from ours.

Jim

Sent from my MB865 using xda premium