TWRP Touch Screen Won't Work

Search This thread

tonyevo52

Feb 1, 2013
OK, so here is a qeustion, pretty new to the whole root thing as stated before, totally cool and i like messing with the phones, had problems flashing roms but i found some links in here that might help that. So with twrp 2.4.1 allowing you to use it again, if all fails and i need to go back to scratch, relock the phone and run the 3.16 ruu, is that available for download anywhere, havent seen it and i know i cant go back to 3.15ruu. I think my problem with flashing roms was not flashing the kernel first with flash gui and then flashing the img in fastboot, but i tried that step for step and it still failed when i tried to install jellybam...maybe it was the rom itself, but anyways, 3.16 ruu out there anywhere? And thanks Dees, i think i talked to you in IRC yesterday, good to go fixing twrp already...

mr_krunchi

Feb 3, 2011
Anaheim
OK, so here is a qeustion, pretty new to the whole root thing as stated before, totally cool and i like messing with the phones, had problems flashing roms but i found some links in here that might help that. So with twrp 2.4.1 allowing you to use it again, if all fails and i need to go back to scratch, relock the phone and run the 3.16 ruu, is that available for download anywhere, havent seen it and i know i cant go back to 3.15ruu. I think my problem with flashing roms was not flashing the kernel first with flash gui and then flashing the img in fastboot, but i tried that step for step and it still failed when i tried to install jellybam...maybe it was the rom itself, but anyways, 3.16 ruu out there anywhere? And thanks Dees, i think i talked to you in IRC yesterday, good to go fixing twrp already...

I was just about to ask if anyone has the 3.16 ruu. I went through twrp 2.4.1 and it worked, but you can't flash anything. Me being stupid, I thought everything would be fine to flash a ROM and didn't Nandroid back up. I wiped my ROM...so now I have a brick till someone uploads the 3.16 ruu.

Wolosyks

Sep 28, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I was just about to ask if anyone has the 3.16 ruu. I went through twrp 2.4.1 and it worked, but you can't flash anything. Me being stupid, I thought everything would be fine to flash a ROM and didn't Nandroid back up. I wiped my ROM...so now I have a brick till someone uploads the 3.16 ruu.
There is no 3.16 RUU yet. But are you saying you can't flash anything with the recovery? Because I'm using it just fine . . . :confused:

tonyevo52

Feb 1, 2013
Captain...

Thanks Captain Throwback...I was wondering if the 3.16ruu was out as well, like i said, just started rooting and my fallback was running the 3.15ruu if i really screwed it up, will have to unlock and re-root when i get home now that twrp 2.4.1 is out...again, thanks for the advice.

eg1122

What I think he means is that he did the full ota, and then went to flash a rom. Problem is, the custom roms have not been updated and they will not work with the new tp.img. At least this is what happened to me when i tried to go back to a custom rom based on 3.15 and once booted up the screen was unresponsive. I flashed the tp.img from 3.15 ruu and everything was fine.

With that ^^ said here is this

For anyone that is still stuck with an unresponsive screen here is the tp.img from the 3.15 ruu. Must be s-off. Rename to PJ75IMG and flash through bootloader.

http://d-h.st/t9V

mr_krunchi

Feb 3, 2011
Anaheim
What I think he means is that he did the full ota, and then went to flash a rom. Problem is, the custom roms have not been updated and they will not work with the new tp.img. At least this is what happened to me when i tried to go back to a custom rom based on 3.15 and once booted up the screen was unresponsive. I flashed the tp.img from 3.15 ruu and everything was fine.

For anyone that is still stuck with an unresponsive screen here is the tp.img from the 3.15 ruu. Must be s-off. Rename to PJ75IMG and flash through bootloader.

Yea you got it right on the dot. Only problem is that I'm S-ON since I hadn't gone into S-OFF. I know its definitely error in my part. I just need the 3.16 RUU or a nandroid backup of the stock rom on 3.16, which I don't have either of. :(

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Yea you got it right on the dot. Only problem is that I'm S-ON since I hadn't gone into S-OFF. I know its definitely error in my part. I just need the 3.16 RUU or a nandroid backup of the stock rom on 3.16, which I don't have either of. :(
You can still flash an older base ROM. That's why I'm confused as to what the issue is :confused:.

scrambler7

Nov 1, 2008
You are flashing the boot.img through fastboot, right?

I'm in the same situation. I was coming from a brand new phone that had received the OTA, so I unlocked it and got TWRP 2.4.1.0 on it and then went to install meanbean, but then it just left me at the HTC quietly brilliant boot screen. After letting it just sit there and not doing anything, I rebooted back to bootloader > recovery, and it looks like the OS was never installed. I tried wiping cache/dalvik/factory reset/system and then reinstalling several times, but still get stuck on the htc boot screen.

I then tried to fasboot the img, and now all I get is the htc boot screen with the message that "this build is for development purposes only." Still no installation.

Edit: when I fastboot the boot.img, it only takes 2 - 2.5 seconds. I am s-on.

Last edited:

NaterTots

Feb 7, 2012
CT
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 7T
I am s-off. I updated twrp with goo.
Then tried to flash 2 new roms.

Both of them during flash booted out to the htc screen and sat there. So i pulled my SD card and put twrp 2.3.1 on it and updated in boot loader. That one worked.
But i haven't tried updating twrp with fast boot yet to see if i had a bad download.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Ok, for anyone that's S-ON, UNLOCKED and updated their firmware via the OTA that's wants to run a non-stock ROM:

You can't do it. The new touch panel driver is linked to the new kernel, so you are prevented from using the touch screen. You must either:
- Flash a stock rooted copy of the 3.16 ROM using TWRP 2.4.1.0+ or
- Fastboot flash the boot.img from the 3.16 OTA on your 3.15-based Sense ROM.

If you're S-OFF, you can simply flash the touch panel image from 3.15 to get back to normal, but for the S-ON folks, the options are limited.

Reactions: scrambler7

scrambler7

Nov 1, 2008
Ok, for anyone that's S-ON, UNLOCKED and updated their firmware via the OTA that's wants to run a non-stock ROM:

You can't do it. The new touch panel driver is linked to the new kernel, so you are prevented from using the touch screen. You must either:

If you're S-OFF, you can simply flash the touch panel image from 3.15 to get back to normal, but for the S-ON folks, the options are limited.

I tried flashing both the ODEXed and DEODEXed versions of stock root on 2.4.1.0, but no dice. I tried fasbooting the boot.img and it didn't work either. Maybe I'm doing the fasbooting incorrectly? All I do is remove the boot.img from the zip file and then type in 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' and get the following:

sending 'boot' (6076 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.914s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 1.454s]
finished. total time: 2.369s

After that, nothing happens on the phone. I tried reflashing after fastbooting the img, but it still sends me to the HTC boot screen.

Do you recommend trying the DirtyRacun process for s-off?

Edit: Actually, I probably can't do DirtyRacun since we don't have the RUU for 3.16

Last edited:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I tried flashing both the ODEXed and DEODEXed versions of stock root on 2.4.1.0, but no dice. I tried fasbooting the boot.img and it didn't work either. Maybe I'm doing the fasbooting incorrectly? All I do is remove the boot.img from the zip file and then type in 'fastboot flash boot boot.img' and get the following:

sending 'boot' (6076 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.914s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 1.454s]
finished. total time: 2.369s

After that, nothing happens on the phone. I tried reflashing after fastbooting the img, but it still sends me to the HTC boot screen.

Do you recommend trying the DirtyRacun process for s-off?

Edit: Actually, I probably can't do DirtyRacun since we don't have the RUU for 3.16
Where did you get the boot.img from? Did you use the signed image directly from the OTA?

mr_krunchi

Feb 3, 2011
Anaheim

Yea, I figured that out the hard way. Well, I tried flashing the stock rooted copy of 3.16 using TWRP 2.4.1.0, but that failed for both deodexed and odexed. They are recommending us use TWRP 2.3.1.0, but obviously we can't since the touch screen won't work if we flash to that recovery.

Fastboot flash of the boot.img from 3.16 isn't working either, which really sucks. I've tried multiple ones and couldn't get any of them to boot properly. The only one that came up was JellyBam, but that was using their boot.img, and when it loaded up, the touch screen didn't work. I tried reflashing it through TWRP, then flashing the 3.16 boot.img, but it never could fully boot up.

So now, it seems our options for those in the same situation (Updated to 3.16 OTA, S-ON, Stuck with TWRP 2.4.1.0, ROM Wiped):
-Wait for RUU to be uploaded (hopefully soon)
-Wait for a 3.16 compatible ROM that is compatible with TWRP 2.4.1.0 (hopefully sooner)

Last edited:

scrambler7

Nov 1, 2008
Where did you get the boot.img from? Did you use the signed image directly from the OTA?

I just used the one from the stock rooted odex rom. Not sure where to get the boot.img for the OTA?

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Yea, I figured that out the hard way. Well, I tried flashing the stock rooted copy of 3.16 using TWRP 2.4.1.0, but that failed for both deodexed and odexed. They are recommending us use TWRP 2.3.1.0, but obviously we can't since the touch screen won't work if we flash to that recovery.

Fastboot flash of the boot.img from 3.16 isn't working either, which really sucks. I've tried multiple ones and couldn't get any of them to boot properly. The only one that came up was JellyBam, but that was using their boot.img, and when it loaded up, the touch screen didn't work. I tried reflashing it through TWRP, then flashing the 3.16 boot.img, but it never could fully boot up.

So now, it seems our options for those in the same situation (Updated to 3.16 OTA, S-ON, Stuck with TWRP 2.4.1.0, ROM Wiped):
-Wait for RUU to be uploaded (hopefully soon)
-Wait for a 3.16 compatible ROM that is compatible with TWRP 2.4.1.0 (hopefully sooner)

Yeah, this sucks. Had to go back to using an old phone. Maybe we can start a support group for each other, recommending chick flicks and ice cream flavors.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I just used the one from the stock rooted odex rom. Not sure where to get the boot.img for the OTA?

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Yeah, this sucks. Had to go back to using an old phone. Maybe we can start a support group for each other, recommending chick flicks and ice cream flavors.
I'll pull the boot.img from the OTA. That *should* get the touch screen working properly. If it doesn't, I'll S-ON my device, unlock again, take the OTA, and see what I can come up with as a solution.

EDIT: boot.img attached (it's in the zip). If you're unlocked, you should be able to either fastboot the img in the zip file, or rename the entire zip to just PJ75IMG.zip and flash through HBOOT.

EDIT 2: Also, if you need a different 3.16 ROM to flash, that'll work with TWRP 2.4.1.0, you can try mine from here: http://d-h.st/users/Captain_Throwback/?fld_id=10308#files

EDIT 3: Ok, well I can confirm that with TWRP 2.4.1.0, after flashing the new touch panel image, I'm unable to flash either of my ROMs either. Now to try a ROM based on the 3.15 (Viper4G), and see if I can use that along with the signed boot.img :rolleyes:.

EDIT 4: The AROMA installer does show up in a weird color in this latest TWRP, but the ROM does appear to have flashed successfully (I assume restoring a nandroid would work too). Touch screen unresponsive on initial boot, but after fastbooting the boot.img from my stock rooted ROM, I can navigate (the one from this post should work also).

Attachments

• PJ75IMG_3.16.651.3_boot.img.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 1,465
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'll pull the boot.img from the OTA. That *should* get the touch screen working properly. If it doesn't, I'll S-ON my device, unlock again, take the OTA, and see what I can come up with as a solution.

EDIT: boot.img attached (it's in the zip). If you're unlocked, you should be able to either fastboot the img in the zip file, or rename the entire zip to just PJ75IMG.zip and flash through HBOOT.

EDIT 2: Also, if you need a different 3.16 ROM to flash, that'll work with TWRP 2.4.1.0, you can try mine from here: http://d-h.st/users/Captain_Throwback/?fld_id=10308#files

EDIT 3: Ok, well I can confirm that with TWRP 2.4.1.0, after flashing the new touch panel image, I'm unable to flash either of my ROMs either. Now to try a ROM based on the 3.15 (Viper4G), and see if I can use that along with the signed boot.img :rolleyes:.

EDIT 4: The AROMA installer does show up in a weird color in this latest TWRP, but the ROM does appear to have flashed successfully (I assume restoring a nandroid would work too). Touch screen unresponsive on initial boot, but after fastbooting the boot.img from my stock rooted ROM, I can navigate (the one from this post should work also).
    I can't seem to find a TWRP thread on here. Where can I go to talk about the update to fix it screen driver issue as well as to where I can download this fix and thank the creator?

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
    TWRP thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37717588

That's also the fix to the TWRP rebooting while flashing issue. Maybe I'll update my stock rooted ROM with the fix so that people have one to flash.
    try to install clockworkmod. worked at me. (thanks to gunnyman for his thread)
    No No NO!

ClockWorkMod DOES NOT WORK properly on this device. TWRP is the ONLY fully working recovery that will not bork important device partitions.

Please do not give bad advice.

P.S. Why bump this month old thread? I'm sure this issue has been resolved.

Good news!

TWRP has been updated to version 2.4.1.0 that fixes the touchscreen issue in recovery. Please thank Dees_Troy for the fix at your earliest convenience :).