What is the REAL way to enter download mode

Search This thread

juntjoo

Apr 23, 2007
Moto G Power
I'm trying to do this as a first step in rooting. One site says while phone is off power+volume down, another site says volume down, and another go to "fastboot" options under "battery" in settings 1st which doesn't even exist and no methods have worked so far. One source says do it while the phone is on! Wtf? So what single simple way is this done. It can't be this hard. Is it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8

hdorius

Jan 17, 2011
Download mode is for Samsung device only and there's is a guide to root m8 if u searched

juntjoo

Apr 23, 2007
Moto G Power
I searched, that's how I came up with the 10 different solutions that didn't work but never mind, I found the "fast boot" option under "power" in settings. And for my phone at least it's volume down and power. Whatever. They need to make it once then stop touching it and playing around with ups and downs. But let's all go back to smiling and dancing.... until I stumble again on my way to rooting..

Sent from my HTC One_M8

juntjoo

Apr 23, 2007
Moto G Power
And how many buttons have succumbed to the pressure of the eager frustrated hands of the many users trying to figure out how long and tight to hold which buttons in what combination to get to"download" or whatever mode? I bet quite a few. I think a new method of getting under the hood is needed. Just like a car, a button and latch at most. Okay thank you. Good night.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Mr Hofs

Sep 10, 2011
Before you mess around i suggest to read up on terms and issues you might stumble on ! Learn adb/fastboot commands to the bone and then start all the rooting stuff.

Phone on :

Hold power + volume up, when the screen turns black (the reboot) you switch from volume up to volume down and keep the power button pressed all the time in this process. Release the buttons when you entered the bootloader.

Phone on and fastboot enabled :

Open a fastboot terminal on the pc and type :

Adb reboot bootloader

That should get you started.

Cheers.

Last edited:

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
Phone on :

Hold power + volume up, when the screen turns black (the reboot) you switch from volume up to volume down and keep the power button pressed all the time in this process. Release the buttons when you entered the bootloader.

Whoah there! I do:
Ensure the lights are on in the room.
Hold volume down and power.
After it reboots, let go of power.
In bootloader, let go of volume down.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Whoah there! I do:
Ensure the lights are on in the room.
Hold volume down and power.
After it reboots, let go of power.
In bootloader, let go of volume down.

For the step I highlighted in red, you mean power + vol up (forced reboot).

Power + vol down while phone is on takes a screen shot.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

One source says do it while the phone is on! Wtf?

It can be done with the phone on (reboot the phone) or off (truly off, not with "Fastboot" selected in Settings, where the phone is not truly shut off).

If you do it from a reboot (either forced, or just selected reboot after holding down the power button) you don't even have to deselect "Fastboot" in Settings (only required if trying to do it from a powered-off condition).

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

I searched, that's how I came up with the 10 different solutions that didn't work but never mind

If you searched specifically for the M8 methods to get into bootloader, they all should work. Either its just pilot error in doing the steps properly, or you are looking at instructions for other devices (which is suspected, since you reference "download mode" which is Samsung-specific).

juntjoo

Apr 23, 2007
Moto G Power
Before you mess around i suggest to read up on terms and issues you might stumble on ! Learn adb/fastboot commands to the bone and then start all the rooting stuff.

Phone on :

Adb reboot bootloader

Cheers.
can't believe you said that. I was trying to avoid that acronym abd as any sentence or two I've ever read on it sounded scary. but I'm tired of being a newbie on this stuff every time I want to root my phone, which is every time I get a new one, which on average is every couple yrs or so I forget what I did plus there are various methods.... okay, I'll spend some time on abd. any suggestions on all the different sources you find on rooting this phone? is there a main one in here or what about that fire thing I read about? some program someone wrote to unlock root and turn s-off, which I'm not sure I even need. now I just think I want to root it just so I can at least maneuver the data on my sd card then maybe install a rom or two. thanks!

Sent from my HTC One_M8

juntjoo

Apr 23, 2007
Moto G Power
Oh, and for my phone at least you just hold power and volume (up or down whatever I said I already forgot) while phone is about to power up, til it like drops then release the volume button only, fastboot screen comes up, then for the recovery screen steps from the red triangle, mind you this one took a bit of a struggle to figure out, simply hold both vol buttons, then power, then release JUST power. This all was definitely made to be idiot proof as I had to literally graduate to a step above an idiot to figure that out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

BenPope

Dec 20, 2007
For the step I highlighted in red, you mean power + vol up (forced reboot).

Power + vol down while phone is on takes a screen shot.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

It can be done with the phone on (reboot the phone) or off (truly off, not with "Fastboot" selected in Settings, where the phone is not truly shut off).

If you do it from a reboot (either forced, or just selected reboot after holding down the power button) you don't even have to deselect "Fastboot" in Settings (only required if trying to do it from a powered-off condition).

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

If you searched specifically for the M8 methods to get into bootloader, they all should work. Either its just pilot error in doing the steps properly, or you are looking at instructions for other devices (which is suspected, since you reference "download mode" which is Samsung-specific).
No, I mean vol down. It doesn't take a screenshot for me. In fact, if I just hold power, it says it's going to reboot, no volume needed.

T-Ching

Aug 24, 2015

Phone on :

Adb reboot bootloader

Cheers.

Mr. Hofs,

Thank you so much. I was finally able to fix my HTC M8 with your method advice only. I have been googling a lot of other solutions that worked for other people but they never mentioned to hold the power button the whole time and just switch the volume up button to volume down at the right moment. Hats off to you sir!

Reactions: Mr Hofs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Phone on :

Adb reboot bootloader

Cheers.

Mr. Hofs,

Thank you so much. I was finally able to fix my HTC M8 with your method advice only. I have been googling a lot of other solutions that worked for other people but they never mentioned to hold the power button the whole time and just switch the volume up button to volume down at the right moment. Hats off to you sir!