[Q] How do you use your rooted NT?

Search This thread

viniosity

Dec 28, 2009
I've got a Nook Tablet that I've newly rooted. Problem is that I don't find myself using it much. Instead I find myself using my laptop for most things. (That may change eventually when I get Netflix and get some decent games.)

My friend lent me his kindle which is really easy on my eyes. If the kindle browser is any indication, I think I'd use the NT to do some web surfing that involved reading longer articles. So I think I'd have a basic use in reading books and doing some web surfing (and I'm curious about your opinion in how the NT does here).

But how are you using your Nook Touch? In the land of laptops, iPads, cellphones, etc etc, do you use it much?

Thanks in advance,
v

nook_touch

Oct 30, 2011
Hi,
Just my 50 cents. First and last - NST is a decent e-book reader, that was the main goal of its designers.
If you are not reading much (no way to know if it is true, just assuming), then rooting will take couple of days just to play with, etc. and then ... your NST falls in oblivion :) It is useful to have few organizer tools, some games to play when bored, etc. , but there is myriad of devices around, which provide better experience for web-surfing, gaming, etc.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Mostly reading, some light web-browsing and email reading. Sometimes reading tweets and using linkedin app. The rest I guess I've used only once or twice, just to check if they work (20+ apps). Ah, a picross game too (love that!), that I played quite a few times. Titanium backup pro to recover when I get to screw things up and root explorer to do some hacking (seldom used either).

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
As said above, the NST is primarily a e-book reader, if you bought it as a "cheap" tablet then you wasted your money :)

Now with that said it should also be said that eInk devices are becoming more and more popular due to the low cost and the comfortable reading experience they deliver.
People buy them as a supplement to their laptop, smartphone and tablet, not as a replacement ;)
With that in mind I'm sure we'll see some key applications released for eInk devices in the future.

Just my two cents..

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
I've got a Nook Tablet that I've newly rooted. Problem is that I don't find myself using it much. Instead I find myself using my laptop for most things. (That may change eventually when I get Netflix and get some decent games.)

My friend lent me his kindle which is really easy on my eyes. If the kindle browser is any indication, I think I'd use the NT to do some web surfing that involved reading longer articles. So I think I'd have a basic use in reading books and doing some web surfing (and I'm curious about your opinion in how the NT does here).

But how are you using your Nook Touch? In the land of laptops, iPads, cellphones, etc etc, do you use it much?

Thanks in advance,
v

Are you talking of the Nook Touch or the Nook Tablet ?

I use my Nook Touch mainly to read books, pdf, and a few mangas and also to read wikipedia offline.

bigtexan99

Nov 29, 2008
I started with a rooted Nook Color and thought it was great, it let me do everything I wanted (android apps) and read books. After awhile, the device got to be to heavy to use as a reader.

At the time, I had a dumb phone. After getting a Galaxy and running rooted Android, I suddenly found myself using the phone for everything. Sure, it had a smaller screen (versus the Nook Color) but it traveled in my pocket and was ready to go. The color Nook was big and bulky. After a few months I sold my Color Nook on ebay and went 100% with the Galaxy for my daily use.

After a bit more time had passed, I found myself not reading books on the phone as much because the backlit screen was starting to get annoying on my eyes.

As much as I liked having an all-in-one device, I just purchased a NST that I will be keeping to use as a reader. I only want root to add the Gmail apps and a browser for stock quotes. The NST may do everything a Nook Color or my Galaxy phone can do, but I just want an easy on the eyes, lightweight reader device for the times I'm reading. I don't see myself carrying the NST around on a daily basis, I'm just intending it as a bedside book reader, or on vacation take along.

Googie2149

Jan 6, 2012
I use my Nook mainly for recording what the homework is for the day and taking notes in class, and so far it isn't that bad. It's a little annoying since multitouch is broken, causing several wrong keys to be pressed, but overall I enjoy having my Nook rooted.

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
I just purchased a NST that I will be keeping to use as a reader. I only want root to add the Gmail apps and a browser for stock quotes.
Do you do trading too? ;)

IMO, if you use nook for reading only, the rooting give you access to various cloud storage providers, like dropbox, etc. So you sync your books between all devices… and friends.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
I use my Nook for reading, library books and also public domain books from Project Gutenberg.

I also keep about 1000 song transcriptions on it.

I hate touch screen typing and I have a mini USB keyboard on it when I feel like email or chat. If I could get Opera Mobile to understand what a page down is I would install a foot switch on it.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
They make those? I guess I fail at searching....

Oh, they have them in all sizes. I just bought a $10 one. The keys are just a bit smaller and there is no navigation or numeric keypad. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0310127
0310127_131524.jpg

brendan10211

Feb 1, 2012
Cary
I use my nook mainly for reading (as it seems everyone else is doing) and sometimes Twitter (with the GO twi widget). I have an iPod for music, but I have noticed me not using that as much and replacing my time with the NST.

I wish there was a really good NST forum app, but I can't find one.

Fuddster

Oct 11, 2011
New Jersey
I rooted so I could read more ebooks. In addition to reading B&N books on the Nook, I have the Google Books, Kindle for Android, and Aldiko apps all loaded and ready to go. Good stuff!

Mounta1n

Mar 3, 2012
I rooted so I could read more ebooks. In addition to reading B&N books on the Nook, I have the Google Books, Kindle for Android, and Aldiko apps all loaded and ready to go. Good stuff!

Are you finding Aldiko is still working? It worked fine at first for me, then after adding some PDF's stopped working. I removed the PDF's from the documents folder, and tried uninstalling, rebooting, then re-downloaded and installed from market, rebooted, and still it just flashes once and goes to home screen. Using Mantano reader currently, but I'm more comfortable with Aldiko from using it on other devices. I read in comments on another blog that it was a current problem for it to stop working, so I'm wondering if you're still using it.

IRT OP I plan to use it mainly as a reader, but prefer the selection, and ease of getting books on the alternative readers/stores such as Google Play, Mantano, Feedbooks. The Nook store requires quite a bit of effort to find the free books, and then there are multiple copies of each one, most with dubious reviews regarding quality, spelling, errors, etc... I also like the idea of being able to download books from the library wirelessly using the Overdrive app. I'll either remove Gmail, or install WidgetLocker to put a lockscreen on the NST if I decide to keep Gmail on it. My G2 meets all my other needs. I've been enjoying using the hotspot on my G2 to connect my Nook with Wifi, it's like having a 4G NST.