[APP] Samba Server for Android

Search This thread

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
Jimmy

Many thanks for this. I have this working on Barnes & Noble Nook Color. The biggest issue i have is that i am unable to see the NC's built in 5GB memory, but only the SDCARD. Any ideas?! Have posted this on the Nook Color forum as well for people to use....;).. Oh! BTW i still have the big file copy TIMEOUT problem. will try some more and let you know..

1) The description clearly says - share SDCARD contents, NOT internal memory, and there are several posts discussing this. There are phones that have 3 storage space options, system&data memory + user memory + sdcard - namely Galaxy S, if Nook is not the same - Jimmy might add an option to share the user memory (recognized by location).
Also, if you're posting the app somewhere - please respect the developer and post a link to this thread.

2) Please put attention that the copy slows very much when the device goes into sleep mode - this might be the reason for your timeouts. Keep the device awake (for example, by having Samba app running in foreground - it keeps the device in wake lock).

Last edited:
Reactions: JimmyChingala

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Seems the nook handles internal memory different than the galaxy s, here i can access both fine the external SD card is mounted into internal memory by vold somehow.

madrascafe

Feb 16, 2006
New York
Nokia 7.2
1) The description clearly says - share SDCARD contents, NOT internal memory, and there are several posts discussing this. There are phones that have 3 storage space options, system&data memory + user memory + sdcard - namely Galaxy S, if Nook is not the same - Jimmy might add an option to share the user memory (recognized by location).
Also, if you're posting the app somewhere - please respect the developer and post a link to this thread.

2) Please put attention that the copy slows very much when the device goes into sleep mode - this might be the reason for your timeouts. Keep the device awake (for example, by having Samba app running in foreground - it keeps the device in wake lock).

1. Thank you for the pointers.
2. I do realize that i need to ack the OP & I have. check my posts b4 u comment. i've been on this forum long enough to know that.
I do recognize the original developer

Raaert

Oct 27, 2010
Hey Jimmy,

Thanks for a really great application, its perfect.

However, why isnt it on market?

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

gibson3659

Dec 8, 2010
Feature Requests

First of all, great app. This allows automate offline backups of my TB backups, easily. Not to mention easily transfer files back and forth.

My one complaint is that I don't want it to auto-enable every time wifi is enabled as I travel and may connect my phone to customer and hotel wifi's. I also don't need it running all the time. What I would really like is for it to be Tasker compatible.

For example:
I could then use Tasker to enable it only when on my home wifi from 1-5am, and on AC or USB power. (Backup times)

The media scan is a nice addition, but it would be even better if it was done automatically based on transferred file extensions. Of course, this could be done via Tasker also.

I would say you should keep this app nice and simple and move all automation (enable, disable, media scan, etc) to a Tasker/Locale plugin.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
{sigh}
Try to actually check if it's working instead of looking for it. Or run the app after reboot, see if it says "Enabled".

Task killer shows you applications, not system daemons. Yes, the application isn't launched, and isn't needed either.

P.S. Android doesn't have any way of autostarting any application on boot. Android autostarts only services.

Shark_1979

Nov 12, 2010
{sigh}
Try to actually check if it's working instead of looking for it. Or run the app after reboot, see if it says "Enabled".

Task killer shows you applications, not system daemons. Yes, the application isn't launched, and isn't needed either.

P.S. Android doesn't have any way of autostarting any application on boot. Android autostarts only services.

Ok Ok work work but not immediately...

Tnx :)

mercianary

May 30, 2010
Brum
Nice app. Thanks:)

Only problem is I can't share over wifi tether because it just says wifi is down and wont turn on the service.

Can it be turned on manually (without the wifi check) or updated to check for tether aswell?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Nice app. Thanks:)

Only problem is I can't share over wifi tether because it just says wifi is down and wont turn on the service.

Can it be turned on manually (without the wifi check) or updated to check for tether aswell?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
This is a known regression due to mobile network interface being primary, however we have to wait if Jimmy comes up with a solution, but i am pretty sure you don't want your SD card shared over mobile network...

Reactions: JimmyChingala

mercianary

May 30, 2010
Brum
This is a known regression due to mobile network interface being primary, however we have to wait if Jimmy comes up with a solution, but i am pretty sure you don't want your SD card shared over mobile network...
Good point, if it's a security issue thats fine, I thought it was just the app not doing what i wanted it to do because of wifi being down.

Thanks for the info:)

FadeFx

Mar 22, 2010
Vienna
Don't get me wrong, it should definitely be possible to just share on the LAN side, but for now it is not supported, and will maybe stay like this for some time.

JimmyChingala

Apr 14, 2010
Melbourne
Hi, is wakelock enabled and is the Samba app active on the screen?

Can you translate the text from your screenshot to English? What is the total size of the file being copied? Also can you re-test using standard windows file explorer rather than Total Commander (just to see if the problem is somehow influenced by Total Commander or not).

- jc

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Access the external storage card in your Android device over wifi as a shared folder

Hi, thanks for your interest in this app!

If you use it, please do post feedback about success, failure, suggestions for improvement etc. Be sure to include the app version you have installed (Menu -> Settings -> About), your Android device make, model & ROM version, and support log file if you are having problems (Menu -> Settings -> Create Support Log - send via PM or e-mail, please dont post the log to the forums).

Am also interested to hear about copy xfer rates to/from your device. My HTC Hero gets between 700 KB/s to 1MB/s, my Asus Transformer about 2.5MB/s.

This app requires your device to already have:
    - root access.
    - Superuser 2.3.6.2 or later, from Android Market (may work with other Android 'su' implementations but I havent tested with any others).

Installation
    * The two most recent development builds are attached below.
    * Or you can Install the current Android Market version:

On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.

Also, the first run will be a bit slow, the app has to unpack some additional binaries into its private data space.

GPL: Samba GPL licensing information including source code modification details are included in the app. Once installed go to Menu -> Settings -> About.

- jc

Screen shots (click to enlarge):

110905main_full.png 110905prefs_01_full.png 110905prefs_02_full.png 110905prefs_03_full.png

Change history

If you like this app, please consider making a small donation. Not to me, but to one of the charities I strongly support: Cancer Research, or Animal Welfare.

Dev builds attached below - To install: unzip, and either:
    - ADB: adb install SambaFilesharing<version>.apk
    - FileManager: Copy the APK to /sdcard on your device, then launch with a filemanager program (like Astro).
    (Dev build change history)

To-Do list (in no particular order)
    - finish notification bar icon re-code
    - Add support for NTFS formatted sdcards.
    - Improve support for devices (eg Tablets) with multiple 'sdcard' type storage devices.
    - multiple/more configurable shared folders, multiple user accounts.
    - add in a CIFS mount manager
    - Improve available characters and lengths of username, password, workgroup, netbios-name fields.
    - toggle widget
    - Add option for persistent display of app 'Menu' button items.
    - move this page to the Android Apps and Games forum.

(The below SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip is the the Google Play 140525 version with extra dev options turned on )
    APP development page has moved to http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-samba-filesharing-server-android-t2803452/post53869540

This thread is kept fir reference as it contains valuable information for manual modifications.
    I need that fix ASAP. :)
    If you're keen :) you can try editing /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/samba-rc to add the chmod line to the start section after line 17:

Code:
         7	SPIDFILE=$PRE/var/locks/smbd.pid
         8	NPIDFILE=$PRE/var/locks/nmbd.pid
        10	case "$1" in
        11		start)
        12	        $0 stop
        13		    $0 cleanup
        14		    $0 rmlogs
        15		    $PRE/nmbd -D
        16		    $PRE/smbd -D
        17		    sleep 1
        18		    [B]chmod 644 $NPIDFILE $SPIDFILE[/B]     # add this line chmod ...
        19		    echo ok
        20		    ;;
        21		stop)

I'll include it in the next dev release. Let us know how you go with it.

- jc
    I'm ready with a beta version, please expect it tomorrow :)
    Hey guys,

Have unfortunately been absent from further recent development of the app, just to let you know i will be looking into the problems reported running it on Android JB, with the the aim of providing a fix in an updated version of the app in Play store - not yet sure whether it will still be a single one-size-fits-all updated APK , or (more likely) a newer package for JB versions and onwards to keep the package file sizes down. I dont have an ETA yet - ofcourse you'll hear about it first here on XDA : - ) First very quick pass glance seems to be a change in the default kernel support for 'older' Android binary native executables, some custom ROMs have their kernels built to still support the 'older' executabe format so its not an issue in them - am still to confirm that (willl rebuild my villec2 kernel in the next few days to confirm if thats [the only] change / problem i ned to cater for, (And ofcourse if you already know the cause and fix feel free to point me to a thread etc).

And thanks to everyone who has provided troubleshooting information, assistance, work-arounds, and patches so far for the problems - and of course The core Samba Org Team, who already spent the many years developing the underlying open source Samba cross-platform code.

- jc