[DEV Q]VS980 ROM Port Debugging Help

Search This thread

PWn3R

Dec 10, 2010
Flagstaff
Nexus 7
Motorola Droid X
Hi all,
I am working on porting a ROM to the VS980. I am trying to get it to boot, but it sits with the kernel started on a black screen. The last_kmsg doesn't show anything that points me to a problem, but ADBD never starts so I can't logcat the boot. I am attempting to modify the stock kernel's RAMDISK and edit the init.rc to start ADBD as early as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to extract the ramdisk? I downloaded the splitramdisk tool from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1477845 but the zip that comes out is not gzip or lzma. I can't open it with the archive tool in linux either.

Any help here would be appreciated.

savoca

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
Google Pixel 7
Hi all,
I am working on porting a ROM to the VS980. I am trying to get it to boot, but it sits with the kernel started on a black screen. The last_kmsg doesn't show anything that points me to a problem, but ADBD never starts so I can't logcat the boot. I am attempting to modify the stock kernel's RAMDISK and edit the init.rc to start ADBD as early as possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to extract the ramdisk? I downloaded the splitramdisk tool from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1477845 but the zip that comes out is not gzip or lzma. I can't open it with the archive tool in linux either.

If it's a stock kernel the ramdisk should be *.lz4

Use this to decompress the ramdisk. :good:

Code:
chmod a+x lz4demo
./lz4demo -d ramdisk.lz4 output_ramdisk.cpio

To recompile, you can use lz4demo again, or you can use gzip, just make sure your rom supports it.

Code:
chmod a+x mkbootfs
./mkbootfs <path_to_ramdisk_dir> | gzip > ramdisk.gz

Reactions: PWn3R

PWn3R

Dec 10, 2010
Flagstaff
Nexus 7
Motorola Droid X

Code:
chmod a+x lz4demo

To recompile, you can use lz4demo again, or you can use gzip, just make sure your rom supports it.

Code:
chmod a+x mkbootfs

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PWn3R

Dec 10, 2010
Flagstaff
Nexus 7
Motorola Droid X
Savocca,
I was able to get unzipped, edit the init.rc and I zipped it back up. However, it doesn't boot. The original was 16mb and the version I created was 9mb. I used the perl script and pointed it at the kernel file and the folder where I extracted ramdisk. Did I do something wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Code:
    chmod a+x lz4demo

Code:
    chmod a+x mkbootfs