hi New user

Search This thread

rickwyatt

Feb 7, 2007
london
hi just got my new tablet to day and Id like a bit of info as I dont what to brick it already
im from uk it came with honneycomb 3.2 all ready installed kernal 2.6.36.3 build10 #1 can it still be rooted as I wana play modern combat 3

thanks

Vinny1967

Apr 15, 2011
Rotterdam
As far as I know it can. Have a look in the development section. Probably better to wait until ics is released and then root.

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
you've got a build 10 kernel so your device is not rootable right now you have to wait for ICS or if some devs make it rootable for your kernel version

10# and above is not rootable

Maby it is possible already but just like Vinny1967 says just have a look in the development section

Landgenoot :D

condi

Feb 13, 2007
Ostrów Wielkopolski
condiecu.pl
hi just got my new tablet to day and Id like a bit of info as I dont what to brick it already
im from uk it came with honneycomb 3.2 all ready installed kernal 2.6.36.3 build10 #1 can it still be rooted as I wana play modern combat 3

thanks

try to check for OTA update - if you've got 3.2, then probably you will get 3.2.1 with vulnerable kernel.

br
condi

rickwyatt

Feb 7, 2007
london
ived upgraded and now have build 8 kernal but for some resion I cant get my xp to see the tablet in developer mode adb

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
ived upgraded and now have build 8 kernal but for some resion I cant get my xp to see the tablet in developer mode adb

Did you echo'd something
Did you ad the driver text from Sony tablet s / p in the google/extras etc.
Or are you unprepared :p

Edit » lol your more prepared then me i see xD tought you where a newbi xD

Last edited:

rickwyatt

Feb 7, 2007
london
I'm just a newbie with the Sony s and I have plenty of experience with Android but for some reason when I plug it into xp it only see it as sony tablet and if I try and install the adb drivers from the auto install folder it say this driver doesn't contain information about my device

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
I'm just a newbie with the Sony s and I have plenty of experience with Android but for some reason when I plug it into xp it only see it as sony tablet and if I try and install the adb drivers from the auto install folder it say this driver doesn't contain information about my device

Do you have USB debugging on?

Your device is not listed after adb devices?

Try
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

But I think you already know that

And if that didn't work than the next thing you could check if you have not already done that to check if you have your driver installed proper

1.You have Android SDK installed Make sure you have downloaded the Google USB Driver Package.
2.Open the google-usb_driver folder that you will find inside your Android SDK folder.
3.Open the android_winusb.inf file in notepad or any text editor to edit it.
4.Add these lines under [Google.NTx86] or [Google.NTamd64] depending on whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. If unsure, it is safe to add these under both these sections.
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
;SONY Sony Tablet P
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_054C&PID_04D2&MI_01
;SONY Sony Tablet S
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_054C&PID_05B4

Don’t edit or replace any other text that is already there; just add these new lines and save the file.

5.Open a command prompt window and enter this command: echo 0x054C >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
Note: this is where you have to use 0x054C instead of what is at the link, otherwise it wont work
Userprofile isn't by your Program Files ! Another example C:\Users\Mahaco\.android etc.

Now your Android SDK drivers are configured to support any Nvidia Tegra based tablet. To be able to use ADB and other SDK tools with your device, you can proceed as follows:
1.On your tablet, go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and confirm again that ‘USB Debugging’ is enabled.
2.Connect your tablet to your PC via USB. You will get a notification that some drivers were not installed, just ignore that.
3.Right-click ‘Computer’ and click ‘Manage’. Identify your device from the list, right-click it and click ‘Update Driver Software..’.
4.Choose to browse your computer for driver software and then select to pick from a list device drivers on your computer.
5.Choose to view all devices and click ‘Browse Files’.
6.Browse to the google-usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK folder and select the android_winusb.inf file.
7.If you get any warnings prompts telling you that the driver might not be compatible, also just ignore, choose to continue installing.
8.Once the drivers have been installed, you should be able to use ADB with your device.
9.To confirm that your device is recognized, launch a Command Prompt window and enter these commands again:

Quick launch > Start button + R then type CMD and push enter and cd to your working folder
( For example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\ )
cd.. [Enter] < type that until you only have your harddiskdrive shown.

cd program files (x86) [Enter]
cd Android [Enter] etc.

adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

Boot Tablet S into recovery:
a) Hold down power and volume UP button
b) when SONY logo appears, release power button but keep pressing volume UP button
c) should load into recovery
This also gives you the MTP device driver.

Last edited:

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
Could someone uploaded a zip up drivers and all that need to get sony s in adb

Thanks

I can't just copy my winusb.inf because if you replace it you will loose other drivers, so this is 'the' correct way to do it,:)

Edit> And you are working on a Windows XP system which can give allot more issue's if you do, after I tought about it I don't know if everything will be compitable in Windows XP so that would be something you need to find out. and if someone can confirm if it can!

I hope I helped, and hope that I didn't tell you anything you already knew, and on top of that respect my not always that smooth English lol :p

Like condi always says Br.
Mahaco.

Last edited:

confuserr

Apr 26, 2011
If you manage to get it to work, let me know. Ive had issues since day 1, and sony are absolutely useless. After numerous phone calls with them, they told me to contact Android about the issue :mad:

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
If you manage to get it to work, let me know. Ive had issues since day 1, and sony are absolutely useless. After numerous phone calls with them, they told me to contact Android about the issue :mad:

I get your point but Sony would rather see their customers not to change their devices unless it is something official,

Android -> Google : Has made it like this that everyone with a little knowlege can add their toughts by making their own roms which is very smart because all the problems that will be solved bij non official developers can be used in next firmwares, and that just for free the fact is, if you brick your device it will loose warranty. if you have root access your warranty is also not more then a piece of paper,

Samsung Galaxy S2 shows up an /!\ Warning sign at start up if its rooted, because if you will brick the phone Samsung could easily see if it was bricked by the user, so I understand the reaction from Sony,

No hard feelings, but I just think that this is how it is:D

I can only recommend you an upgrade to a newer Windows version to either
Windows Vista or Windows 7 because I can confirm that these are compitable if you follow all the steps for rooting (Drivers etc.)

Last edited:

confuserr

Apr 26, 2011
I get your point but Sony would rather see their customers not to change their devices unless it is something official,

Android -> Google : Has made it like this that everyone with a little knowlege can add their toughts by making their own roms which is very smart because all the problems that will be solved bij non official developers can be used in next firmwares, and that just for free the fact is, if you brick your device it will loose warranty. if you have root access your warranty is also not more then a piece of paper,

Samsung Galaxy S2 shows up an /!\ Warning sign at start up if its rooted, because if you will brick the phone Samsung could easily see if it was bricked by the user, so I understand the reaction from Sony,

No hard feelings, but I just think that this is how it is:D

I can only recommend you an upgrade to a newer Windows version to either
Windows Vista or Windows 7 because I can confirm that these are compitable if you follow all the steps for rooting (Drivers etc.)
I am on Windows 7 and am a Java developer, didn't want ADB for rooting, want it for testing my apps. No offence but I have already had this conversation with Sony, hopefully the ICS update will make a difference. What would really help is if they just released official drivers like they do for their phones.

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
I am on Windows 7 and am a Java developer, didn't want ADB for rooting, want it for testing my apps. No offence but I have already had this conversation with Sony, hopefully the ICS update will make a difference. What would really help is if they just released official drivers like they do for their phones.

Yeah must admit that.