[Support Thread] Native Ubuntu (Lubuntu, LXDE) on TF700T

Search This thread

dre1187

Apr 14, 2011
Toronto
So I got it to boot wonderfully except I have no keyboard input...I assume you need the dock ?

Also for those who don't have paranoid android installed and dont have boot.img of their ROM I took a back up of the boot partition using TWRP and just restored it when in was done and it worked like a charm!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

bradslinux

Oct 2, 2009
Somerset
So I got it to boot wonderfully except I have no keyboard input...I assume you need the dock ?

Also for those who don't have paranoid android installed and dont have boot.img of their ROM I took a back up of the boot partition using TWRP and just restored it when in was done and it worked like a charm!

Good on ya, I did as well, and I have the dock. Touchpad cursor is working as is the kb, My question is.....
um.....er.......
I feel like such a noob asking this.....
What the hell is the login?

Cheers!
Brad

NM
Login is
ubuntu
ubuntu

Last edited:

TinkerDude

Mar 13, 2008
ubuntu and ubuntu :)

WiFi even works, very sexy!

Sent from my A500 using xda premium (Yeah, I have one of those too)

bradslinux

Oct 2, 2009
Somerset
This is just awesome! :)

ya, check out the fiberlamp screensaver LOL.....some touch control on the screen too. Will have to put a onscreen kb on the todo list. This in pure tablet mode will be a hoot!

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

This is just awesome! :)
I feel like a kid at Christmas!
Verified, the TWRP restore of the /boot backup works like a charm to get back to android. This is gonna be a HOOT!
Dualboot on an Infinity! WOOOHOOO!

Cheers to the peeps that are making this happen! YOU ROCK!:good::good::good::D

Brad

Neuman.Tim

Oct 26, 2010
Santa Barbara
This is what I've been waiting for :D amazing brother, just amazing thank you!

Sent either from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (Zeus 4.0) or my Samsung Galaxy SIII (LiquidSmooth RC3)

Vo01985

Jan 13, 2011
This is pretty awesome and I'll probably unlock very soon. What can we do on ubuntu that we can't on Android?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

rdejager

Mar 11, 2010
works pretty decent for a start :D boots nice and fast. Its tiny though, hard time to check what you need :D love to see how this develops into a full blown OS.

jaybob413

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2007

Onboard virtual keyboard is installed, but there is a display problem (all black). The fix for this is posted HERE.

As I have a dock, I didn't think about the keyboard for login. Looks like lightdm and lxdm don't have the universal access menu that is in unity-greeter, so a dock or usb keyboard is needed for login atm. As time permits I will look into how this login issue can be addressed.

Reactions: dre1187

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
OK, so I tried it too. Some first impressions:
* Touchscreen, keyboard dock and touchpad work fine.
* WiFi works too.
* Everything is very tiny. "xrandr --dpi 160" helps a bit.
* Most dock special keys send the correct keysyms corresponding to their label, but maybe XF86Back should be mapped to Esc instead
* Connecting a HDMI cable freezes the system
* Booting with connected HDMI cable also hangs at the bootloader screen
* I don't understand why "mount -o loop /mnt2/ubuntu /mnt" in the initrd works, shouldn't it be "-o bind"?

For an early alpha: very impressive!

Reactions: danger-rat

aig787

Dec 29, 2011
Sporadic

Awesome work! Everything works great and fast except the wifi only works sporadically for me. It worked right after installing but then on and off after the first reboot. I reinstalled and it doesn't seem to have helped. Any idea what could be going on?

Hundsbuah

Nov 2, 2012
Landshut
Issue: Onboard virtual keyboard displays all black
Fix: apt-get install python-gi-cairo

how to install without keyboard? :D

/edit
sorry didnt read all :p
cant login yet without dock. is it possible to boot back in android and modify with rootexplorer some files in lubuntu to set autologin with username AND password?
i only found solutions:

file: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=ubuntu
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=Lubuntu
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

but how to set autologin password?

can s.o. help me?

Last edited:

xworld21

Jul 30, 2012
but how to set autologin password?

The display manager doesn't need a password, the username is enough to autologin. There is no way of specifying an autologin password, as it should never be saved unencrypted on disk.
It may be better to add the line

pam-service=lightdm-autologin

as well.

If the problem is just that the gnome-keyring asks for the password after login, then you have to change the password of the "login" keyring to the empty one (use seahorse). I do not recommend it, though, as it means that all the saved passwords, such as in epiphany, chromium, empathy etc. will be saved unencrypted.

Can you autologin now? Your configuration should work as it is, but if it doesn't then something else is wrong.

ryanbadowski

Jun 24, 2010

Does CWM backup the boot partition? If it does, can I just boot into recovery and perform a restore in order to return to Android?

danger-rat

Feb 14, 2010
USA
I
Does CWM backup the boot partition? If it does, can I just boot into recovery and perform a restore in order to return to Android?

You don't need to restore Android, you just need to restore the boot image for your ROM. The boot image for Paranoid Android is included in the OP, and you just flash via recovery, reboot, and your old Android system is back. If you use a different ROM, you would need to build a zip to flash that (which is what I've done for CleanROM)...

Here's the flashable boot image for CleanROM 2.4 (probably works for 2.3 also, but haven't tested):
http://db.tt/ifDjE3Qu

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts