[Q] Brand new phone, considering root

Search This thread

SnowWolf75

Jul 24, 2013
Moto X4
I just got my phone today, but I'd like to root it to get the added functionality. I've rooted a few devices (Galaxy S2, toshiba Thrive) before without issue, so I think I can do this as well. Are there any problems, gotchas, or pitfalls that I might encounter besides the usual? It's been out for a few months, so I would expect those to be ironed out by now.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Hi and welcome! :)

The Nexus 5 is arguably the easiest device to unlock and root. Follow this guide by Chromium. (It's a sticky in the General section)

It's pretty straight forward, and doing it this way will help you out in the long run if you ever need to use ADB or fastboot in the future.

As far as issues go, there isn't anything worry about during the unlocking and rooting process. Just make sure you flash kernels and roms specifically for the N5. Also, be aware that not all kernels are compatible with all roms. Most Developers do a good job of explaining compatibility in their thread.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hakugin

Sep 3, 2013
Welcome to XDA. There is no reason to not root the Nexus 5, in fact I had mine rooted within 20 minutes of owning it. Would have been sooner but I had to wait on my computer to finish some updates.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi and welcome! :)

The Nexus 5 is arguably the easiest device to unlock and root. Follow this guide by Chromium. (It's a sticky in the General section)

It's pretty straight forward, and doing it this way will help you out in the long run if you ever need to use ADB or fastboot in the future.

As far as issues go, there isn't anything worry about during the unlocking and rooting process. Just make sure you flash kernels and roms specifically for the N5. Also, be aware that not all kernels are compatible with all roms. Most Developers do a good job of explaining compatibility in their thread.

Good luck and enjoy!
    It's a very easy phone to root. Just follow this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47025283

Sent from my Nexus 5