Stuck on Moto logo for any ROM

Search This thread

dooger

Feb 25, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
No matter what ROM I load, my green-lens Defy gets stuck on the Moto logo and recovery is no longer accessible, requiring a full SBF to restore. I've tried starting with US TMo 2.1 as well as CEE 2.2.2, and after loading the SBF, I root with either SuperOneClick v2.3.1, or Framaroot, then install 2ndInit 2.3, and then disable USB debug. Up to this point, everything works great and CWM is fully accessible on boot. But attempting to load any custom ROM will result in the stuck moto logo and recovery no longer accessible. I've tried all the wipes before and after installing ROMs, including the defy_fullwipe script, and factory reset. Also tried reformatting the SD. Any ideas??? I can't think of what to try next.

This all started when I recently decided to try MS2Ginger5.1, after successfully running CM7.x for years. MS2Ginger refused to install, so I read that TWRP was needed, so I loaded defy_twrp_recovery_2.6.3.0, and retried MS2Ginger5.1. The installation seemed to proceed and complete normally, however, ever since, my Defy gets stuck Moto logo and no recovery access after loading any ROM, including CM7.2.

Thanks for suggestions - this may be the end of the road for my trusty Defy :crying:

DiegoxG

Sep 25, 2013
Bogota
Since when do you need to install twrp 2.3.6.0 in order to install a gingerbread rom? Install the last version of 2ndinit then install msginger, or if you update to twrp 2.3.6.0 flash a kitkat rom

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

dooger

Feb 25, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
Since when do you need to install twrp 2.3.6.0 in order to install a gingerbread rom? Install the last version of 2ndinit then install msginger, or if you update to twrp 2.3.6.0 flash a kitkat rom

Right, TWRP is definitely NOT required to install MS2Ginger, it was just a suggestion which worked for somebody else. I did also try installing kitkat from TWRP (Slim 4.4.2.build.4), but same problem, install seemed to complete normally, but after restarting, stuck at the Moto logo and no recovery :(

DiegoxG

Sep 25, 2013
Bogota
There's something you're doing wrong, your defy is not messed up, maybe if you follow the kitkat guide im the General Section just to try, you can get your phone working

Sent from my MB525+ using Tapatalk 2

dooger

Feb 25, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
There's something you're doing wrong, your defy is not messed up, maybe if you follow the kitkat guide im the General Section just to try, you can get your phone working

Sent from my MB525+ using Tapatalk 2

Followed Quarx's KitKat post and Proverbs2's FAQ to a T, for both CM11 and SlimKat, but neither would boot. In both cases, the ROM would install successfully according to TWRP, and the CM11 or Slim recovery screen would load on reboot, but choosing the option to continue booting, the screen just went black and nothing. The good thing, is that upon restart, it was still possible to enter recovery, so I was able to try several ROMs thanks to safewipe, but nothing would boot after installation. Even so, I eventually ended up back at the stuck Moto Logo and had to RSDlite the CEE full SBF. I have flashed a lot of ROMs over the years, so I don't think I'm doing something wrong, but maybe...:confused:

Does starting with a full SBF guarantee there's not some kind of issue with the formatting of /system?

DiegoxG

Sep 25, 2013
Bogota
Have you tried with the nordic sbf? It's quite strange because you can run the stock flash without issues.

I know you already followed the guides and everything, but I'm gonna tell you my steps:

1. Flash sbf with rsdlite (in my case it's a bl7 2.3 miui based, already rooted)
2. Flash twrp recovery 2.6.3.0
3. safewipe.zip
4. Flash CM11, boot, then flash gapps.

Maybe your problem could be because of your sbf, here is the nordic sbf, android 2.2.2
http://depositfiles.org/files/dcjx19kb8

That's all I can help you mate

Last edited:
Reactions: dooger

dooger

Feb 25, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8T
SOLVED!

OMG, I had just about given up, but the microSD card I was using was at fault. The offending card was a Sandisk Ultra, 16GB HC1. I've been using that Sandisk card in an HD camcorder for months without issue, but for whatever reason the card is not compatible with the Defy during the flashing process. I switched to an 8GB Kingston Class 4, and everything's working again. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions; hopefully this thread will help somebody else. :)

Reactions: DiegoxG

granazis

Sep 3, 2009
Loutraki
My experience with [4.4.2] SlimKat (jordan) [STABLE 4.0] [Weekly 3.85] [Unofficial]

CHRIS 5-8-14
phone ok-bt ok(reboot to remove sign when closed)-gps no good sensitivity on copilot 9.5-on igo ok-too late to boot(about 3-4 secs)
some problems with sd card not find(0mb) in twrp,sinse works good on phone
and pc(card changed with toshiba 4 gb all ok,before sandisk 8gb,lexar 16 gb,kingstone 8gb not recognised in twrp),depends it from size???- some not often reboots-backup via twrp 90b??????????
waiting for battery response.But is a good rom.

istallation (in my defy mb525)
if you are comming from another rom, From stock rec (pwr +vol down)wipe data factory reset,open RSD LITE V5.6,enter bl mode(pwr+
vol up)
1)flash sbf 2.2.2 VIA RSD LITE V5.6(otherwise you have M or ANDROID
boot loop)
2)root(i used Gingerbreakv1.20)
3)install 2nd init 1.4.2
4)via cwm 2.5 installed with 2nd init flash twrp 2.6.3.0.0
5)wipe data/casche/system
6)flash rom
7)flash gaps(i flashed,minimal_Slim_AIO_gapps.4.4.2.build.4.6)
reboot(too long)

if you have boot loop on M or ANDROID do: From stock rec (pwr +vol down)wipe data factory reset

granazis

Sep 3, 2009
Loutraki
CHRIS 5-8-14
phone ok-bt ok(reboot to remove sign when closed)-gps no good sensitivity on copilot 9.5-on igo ok-too late to boot(about 3-4 secs)
some problems with sd card not find(0mb) in twrp,sinse works good on phone
and pc(card changed with toshiba 4 gb all ok,before sandisk 8gb,lexar 16 gb,kingstone 8gb not recognised in twrp),depends it from size???- some not often reboots-backup via twrp 90b??????????
waiting for battery response.But is a good rom.

istallation (in my defy mb525)
if you are comming from another rom, From stock rec (pwr +vol down)wipe data factory reset,open RSD LITE V5.6,enter bl mode(pwr+
vol up)
1)flash sbf 2.2.2 VIA RSD LITE V5.6(otherwise you have M or ANDROID
boot loop)
2)root(i used Gingerbreakv1.20)
3)install 2nd init 1.4.2
4)via cwm 2.5 installed with 2nd init flash twrp 2.6.3.0.0
5)wipe data/casche/system
6)flash rom
7)flash gaps(i flashed,minimal_Slim_AIO_gapps.4.4.2.build.4.6)
reboot(too long)

if you have boot loop on M or ANDROID do: From stock rec (pwr +vol down)wipe data factory reset
[/QUOTE]I have some problems with sd card, not find(0mb) in twrp,sinse works good on phone
and pc(card changed with toshiba 4 gb all ok,before sandisk 8gb,lexar 16 gb,kingstone 8gb not recognised in twrp),i am wondering what is hapening,its the first time that i encounter this problem.I have load a lot of custom roms for years but i didnt found such a problem.This happens with this rom ( [ROM] [4.4.2] SlimKat (jordan) [STABLE 4.0] [Weekly 3.85] [Unofficial]) I had also propblem with backinkup and restore the rom but solved via online Nandroid pro app from play store.Please can anyone help me and explain whats the reason for this problem?(for cards i mean)
I hope to a reply.Thanks
NOTE:my phones,moto g,moto defy,bberry,iphone 4s, sony st15i.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Have you tried with the nordic sbf? It's quite strange because you can run the stock flash without issues.

I know you already followed the guides and everything, but I'm gonna tell you my steps:

1. Flash sbf with rsdlite (in my case it's a bl7 2.3 miui based, already rooted)
    2. Flash twrp recovery 2.6.3.0
    3. safewipe.zip
    4. Flash CM11, boot, then flash gapps.

Maybe your problem could be because of your sbf, here is the nordic sbf, android 2.2.2
    http://depositfiles.org/files/dcjx19kb8

That's all I can help you mate

SOLVED!

OMG, I had just about given up, but the microSD card I was using was at fault. The offending card was a Sandisk Ultra, 16GB HC1. I've been using that Sandisk card in an HD camcorder for months without issue, but for whatever reason the card is not compatible with the Defy during the flashing process. I switched to an 8GB Kingston Class 4, and everything's working again. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions; hopefully this thread will help somebody else. :)