Universal Root de la Vega v0.5 [ Root without tripping KNOX or Malware! ]

Search This thread

crasher

Dec 6, 2006
One problem I had with the sammobile website is that I couldn't get the ROM to download from either of the mirrors, ended up having to get it from stockroms but I thought the stock ROM was what I currently have? I haven't done any updates to the software as far as I know, and I've had the Note 3 since about a week after it's T-Mobile release.

If you are already rooted with knox 0x0, you must be currently on MJ2 or earlier. Even stock roms are updated officially from Samsung, which is what sammobile provides.

A newer version of the T-Mobile stock Rom should be available. I don't use the stockrom website, so I can't help you there, but if you go to www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/ You can search for the latest Rom and you can may find a PDA version which is MK2 or even newer. Then use that PDA to search it on stockrom or try your luck with Google.

Downloading firmware is perhaps the most frustrating thing for this rooting method.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

jacodaburr

Oct 8, 2012
Seattle
If you are already rooted with knox 0x0, you must be currently on MJ2 or earlier. Even stock roms are updated officially from Samsung, which is what sammobile provides.

A newer version of the T-Mobile stock Rom should be available. I don't use the stockrom website, so I can't help you there, but if you go to www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/ You can search for the latest Rom and you can may find a PDA version which is MK2 or even newer. Then use that PDA to search it on stockrom or try your luck with Google.

Downloading firmware is perhaps the most frustrating thing for this rooting method.

I guess what I should have said is that the ROM I got from stockroms was listed as the same ROM from sammobile, I just wasn't able to download from sammobile. What I think is what is confusing me is the filename of the ROM, the two code sequences in the filename, the first one shows my Build Number and Baseband Version, is the second code sequence show what BN/BV it is upgrading too? I'm not really looking for custom firmware at this point since I pretty much love my phone, just want the root access to have more accessibility to modify apps and whatnot. Either way, I've started the process and don't foresee any issues as I've been reading this thread and other articles to ensure this goes smoothly (mostly just had to familiarize myself with cygwin lol) Kies told me my firmware was up-to-date but if this indeed updates my phone maybe it will resolve some issues have with it currently. Thanks @designgears for figuring this out for us Note 3 users and @crasher for your help!

Last edited:

crasher

Dec 6, 2006
I guess what I should have said is that the ROM I got from stockroms was listed as the same ROM from sammobile, I just wasn't able to download from sammobile. What I think is what is confusing me is the filename of the ROM, the two code sequences in the filename, the first one shows my Build Number and Baseband Version, is the second code sequence show what BN/BV it is upgrading too? I'm not really looking for custom firmware at this point since I pretty much love my phone, just want the root access to have more accessibility to modify apps and whatnot. Either way, I've started the process and don't foresee any issues as I've been reading this thread and other articles to ensure this goes smoothly (mostly just had to familiarize myself with cygwin lol) Kies told me my firmware was up-to-date but if this indeed updates my phone maybe it will resolve some issues have with it currently. Thanks @designgears for figuring this out for us Note 3 users and @crasher for your help!

Hold on. If kies tells you that your firmware is updated, are you sure you are not on an AP version that will trip knox?

jacodaburr

Oct 8, 2012
Seattle
Hold on. If kies tells you that your firmware is updated, are you sure you are not on an AP version that will trip knox?

My phone shows N900TUVUBMI7 as my baseband version and build number, the filename of the ROM that I acquired as suggested per sammobile is N900TUVUBMI7_N900TTMBBMI7_N900TUVUBMI7_HOME

Mar 30, 2008
I would like to ask for those currently on latest firmware 4.3JB (or even in future 4.4KK), will there be any chance that phone will be able to root?

My current phone firmware is:

AP N9005XXUDML2
CP N9005XXUDMJ7
CSC N9005OLBDMK2

If there is no chance of the phone being able to root in the near future, I might consider selling away note 3 and stay away from Samsung phone because of KNOX.

Can any expert provide some insight on this?

Last edited:

crasher

Dec 6, 2006
I'm no expert, but I think any n9005 note 3 can be rooted. The only difference is, will it void your warranty? Keeping knox 0x0 allows us to go back to stock condition for warranty claims. It is your choice to forsake warranty and still root your note 3, tripping knox into 0x1. From there you can do whatever you want.

Mar 30, 2008
I'm no expert, but I think any n9005 note 3 can be rooted. The only difference is, will it void your warranty? Keeping knox 0x0 allows us to go back to stock condition for warranty claims. It is your choice to forsake warranty and still root your note 3, tripping knox into 0x1. From there you can do whatever you want.

Really regret performing the OTA updates. Now the only thing is to hope the current version I'm on has the chance to be root without tripping KNOX. Hope some expert here can help shed some light on it. I still hope to keep the warranty without tipping KNOX.

MarkAndroid

Feb 17, 2011
i had same issues but i rooted successfully.
you must cygwin which is the terminal you are going to use.
when you download all files required for the root in post #1 or 2, one zip will contain the URDLV.sh file, what you need to do now is to locate the directory that the terminal use by using the command pwd, it will then tell you the directory where you must put all the files from the zip that contained URDLV.sh file, now all you need to do is writing the following in the terminal:

./URDLV.sh full [stock firmware file path]
and as OP said, drag and drop your firmware into the terminal to get the right path

after that, the file will be modified and placed in the output file.
finally, flash the file (in the ap section of odin) and follow the instruction the second post

im not a genius, its just that i had problems like you, and thanks to this amazing community i solved my problems, head to page 120 of this thread to see people who helped me, and don't forget to thank them :D

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

it seems that there is no way at the moment (and may never be), but there is a script/tool in the development section which make it possible to flash a rom without tripping knox so check it out.

Thanks for the reply I got from the site SamMobile this file: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=19367
Model: SM-N9005 - Country: Poland - Version: Android 4.3 - Changelist: 1628120 - Build date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 06:30:59 +0000 - Product Code: XEO - PDA: N9005XXUBMI7 - CSC: N9005OXXBMI4 - MODEM: N9005XXUBMI6

Decompile creates two files:
One is called N9005XXUBMI7_N9005OXXBMI4_N9005XXUBMI6_HOME.tar.md 5 and has the size of 2.241.701KB while the other is called SS_DL.dll and is of 1176

What procedure should I use this file? Full?
Should I take some other files from the samsung website?
_______
Usage: ./URDLV.sh [full|csc] [stock firmware file path]
Example: ./URDLV.sh csc F:\N900PVPUBMI3_N900PSPTBMI3_SPR.tar.md5
Example: ./URDLV.sh full F:\OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.exe

full = AP and CSC (Creates a single file with both AP and CSC, no bootloaders, modems, etc.)
csc = CSC only

[stock firmware file path] - needs to be the full file path!
Drag and drop the file into the terminal window to get the full path.
______

Among the examples I have not figured out what to refer!
Can you help me again? :)

crasher

Dec 6, 2006
GalaxyHe had posted a detailed step by step. Why don't you read that first? Do a search with his id in this thread.

darkelfa2

Sep 1, 2011
amman
Thanks for the reply I got from the site SamMobile this file: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=19367
Model: SM-N9005 - Country: Poland - Version: Android 4.3 - Changelist: 1628120 - Build date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 06:30:59 +0000 - Product Code: XEO - PDA: N9005XXUBMI7 - CSC: N9005OXXBMI4 - MODEM: N9005XXUBMI6

Decompile creates two files:
One is called N9005XXUBMI7_N9005OXXBMI4_N9005XXUBMI6_HOME.tar.md 5 and has the size of 2.241.701KB while the other is called SS_DL.dll and is of 1176

What procedure should I use this file? Full?
Should I take some other files from the samsung website?
_______
Usage: ./URDLV.sh [full|csc] [stock firmware file path]
Example: ./URDLV.sh csc F:\N900PVPUBMI3_N900PSPTBMI3_SPR.tar.md5
Example: ./URDLV.sh full F:\OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.exe

full = AP and CSC (Creates a single file with both AP and CSC, no bootloaders, modems, etc.)
csc = CSC only

______

Among the examples I have not figured out what to refer!
Can you help me again? :)

Again, after you install cygwin it will be located in the root of c drive, in the folder created by installing the program, there will be another file called home and inside it is another file with your pc profile name (which is probably where "pwd" comand will get you.
after that, i suggest that you extract all the files you downloaded (excluding the root de la vega sd file) including the ss_dl file. After that is done, open the terminal and type "./URLDV.SH full [drag and drop your tar.md5 file here]" don't really type the [ ] they are just to show you the step.
After that you will get a file with "vega" at the last of its name which you will then flash in odin (ap section).
After the phone reboot, extract the rootdelavegasd zip which will contain a folder and a file that you will have to copy to your device root (the base of your device storage; meaning not in any subfolder ) after that reboot your device, delete the previously copied files and reboot again.
at this point you should be fully rooted.
I can't explain it any further so i hope you understand.

jacodaburr

Oct 8, 2012
Seattle
So just like every device I get and root, I turned into a 5-year old in the candy shop yesterday having rooted my phone. LOL! Rooted it yesterday, had no issues everything went smoothly just as the directions stated in #1 and #2.

Now a question I have, pretty sure I didn't trip anything since I have MI7 but is there a way to check KNOX without going back into Bootloader?

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

So I was just taking a look at the Mobile ODIN Pro app on the play store and noticed that my model wasn't listed under the supported models (SM-N900T) and that many users were having issues with 4.3

Has anyone with the N900T tried using Mobile ODIN yet?
Still trying to find the details about Mobile Odin in this thread but there are so many posts mentioning Mobile ODIN lol
Thanks guys

JVogler

Mar 3, 2010
Anyone have any personal experience with problems from having your KNOX counter tripped. Like you tried to get a fualty hardware issue fixed from AT&T and they refused solely on the basis that your KNOX had been triggered. I'm just wondering if AT&T will 100% refuse any service based on KNOX or if they will be reasonable if the issue is obviously not related.

-- Note II, TapaTalk II--

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.4.2 has been patched, URDLV will NOT work!

Universal Root de la Vega v0.5
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.

Rooting Method By @designgears & Root App @Chainfire

What is Universal Root de la Vega?
    It is simply a script to create Root de la Vega for any device that has the necessary hooks. In its current state, it should be considered beta, the code is still very messy and may not work in some cases.

What devices are supported?
    Just about every Samsung device with KNOX! (Excluding Exynos based devices)
    Samsung has caught on and has started patching bootloaders, you can still root, but you will trip KNOX.
    If you are running MJ4, MJ7, MK1, MK2 or higher you can still root, but you will trip KNOX!

How to find your AP / CSC (PDA) versions:
    Dial *#1234#

Prerequisites
    Basic knowledge of how to use terminal and odin or heimdall (this is not a general support thread)
    Odin or Heimdall
    Firmware File (see next section)
    Linux: p7zip
    Windows: Cygwin

How to find your stock firmware:
    Go to SamMobile and enter your device CSC in the in the black bar search field. (Free account required to download)
    If you cannot find it there, try Google, not my inbox
    After you have downloaded your firmware, make sure unzip it down to the odin tar/tar.md5/exe.

SM-N900V SM-N900A

How to use Universal Root de la Vega:
    Open a terminal to the directory containing URDLV.sh (not windows command prompt)
    Code:
    [B]Usage:[/B] ./URDLV.sh [full|csc] [stock firmware file path]
    [B]Example:[/B] ./URDLV.sh csc F:\N900PVPUBMI3_N900PSPTBMI3_SPR.tar.md5
    [B]Example:[/B] ./URDLV.sh full F:\OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.exe

full = AP and CSC [I](Creates a single file with both AP and CSC, no bootloaders, modems, etc.)[/I]
    csc = CSC only

What file types does Universal Root de la Vega support?
    tar, tar.md5
    exe (odin oneclick, thanks to exodin)

What's with the license?
    To many kangers on XDA these days... If you don't like it, you can GTFO. :cool:

Where can I download it?

By downloading Universal Root de la Vega you agree to the license above and you agree not to distribute files created with Universal Root de la Vega.

Universal-RDLV_v0.5.7z (1 MB)
    MD5: 465f08e6d57eccdb4a29fbd5f7560a6b

root_de_la_vega_sdcard.7z (1.3 MB)
    MD5: 3d1d592b397d7b829d86045d9ac40731

Donations are greatly appreciated, not required!
    If you would like to donate, head over here.

If you haven't already, pick up a copy of SuperSU Pro to support @Chainfire! Well worth the money!
    Basic Rooting Instructions
    1. Use Universal Root de la Vega to create a custom firmware (See Post #1)
    2. Boot into bootloader mode
    3. Open Odin or Heimdall and plug your USB cable into your computer and phone
    4. Use Odin or Heimdall to flash the firmware created in step #1
    5. Let your device fully boot after flashing has completed
    6. Copy the contents of root_de_la_vega_sdcard.7z to the root of the internal storage
    7. Reboot (very important!)
    8. After fully booting delete the files from the internal storage that were added previously
    9. Reboot (extremely important!)

Question & Answer

"Root de la Vega" What kind of name is that?
    It's named after Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility.

Can I flash custom recovery/kernel without tripping KNOX flags?
    No.

Will this set a tripped KNOX flag 0x1 back to 0x0?
    No.

Will root survive a factory reset?
    Yes, it does.

Do I need to fully wipe my phone when rooting?
    Not always, most cases it should be fine, but sometimes you get lots of forces closes, the only way to fix it is to flash your csc and let it wipe.

Can I unroot?
    Yes, use SuperSU full unroot option or flash stock.

I am getting Force Closes after flashing, how can I fix it?
    Make sure you are flashing the cache(csc) and system(ap) file!
    Working on an update guys, please chillax.

Restoring the links to the current version.
    Can you, please, write a more detailed instruction?
    Especially the cygwin part?

Prepare :
    1/ download the MK2 firmware and save it into c:\temp - and extract it to c:\temp\MK2_stock
    2/ download the URDLV script and extract it to c:\temp\Universal-RDLV_v0.5
    3/ Extract the file c:\temp\MK2_stock\N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME.tar.md5 to c:\temp\MK2_stock
    4/ MOVE the file c:\temp\MK2_stock\N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME.tar.md5 to c:\temp\Universal-RDLV_v0.5
    5/ delete the files c:\temp\MK2_stock\aboot.mbn AND c:\temp\MK2_stock\cache.img.ext4
    6/ Create a folder called output in the folder c:\temp\Universal-RDLV_v0.5
    7/ download/save the URDLV rooting file in c:\temp\ and extract it to c:\temp\root_de_la_vega_sdcard

Follow the below steps on cygwin after doing the above :

In green is your computer name, in DarkOrange is the terminal current path ( = where you are currently located on your disk)
    in Red is what you need to type
    in Blue is what the URDLV script will display on your screen. There is nothing to do during this step exept waiting.

ComputerName ~
    $ cd c:

ComputerName /cygdrive/c
    $ cd temp

ComputerName /cygdrive/c/temp
    $ cd Universal-RDLV_v0.5

ComputerName /cygdrive/c/temp/Universal-RDLV_v0.5

$ ./URDLV.sh full N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME.tar.md5

================================================================================
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
    Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us
    ================================================================================

Universal Root de la Vega v0.5 -- By DesignGears

DO NOT DISTRIBUTE FILES CREATED WITH UNIVERSAL ROOT DE LA VEGA

Mode: full
    Filename: N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME
    Extension: md5

Extracting Firmware...
    Hooking System Image...
    -Verifying System Hook...
    --System Hook Found!

Creating Odin Flashable Tar...

Do NOT Rename The Odin Flashable Tar!

$

No need to close cygwin.

With Windows Explorer, go to c:\temp\Universal-RDLV_v0.5\output
    Extract the file N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME_VEGA.tar.md5 to c:\temp\Universal-RDLV_v0.5\N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME_VEGA.tar
    Go to the folder c:\temp\Universal-RDLV_v0.5\N9005XXUDMK2_N9005OXXDMK3_N9005XXUDMJ7_HOME_VEGA.tar
    Move the files cache.img.ext4 AND system.img.ext4 to c:\temp\MK2_stock

Go back to cygwin

$ cd c:temp/MK2_stock

ComputerName /cygdrive/c/temp/MK2_stock
    $ tar -H ustar -c boot.img modem.bin rpm.mbn system.img.ext4 cache.img.ext4 NON-HLOS.bin sbl1.mbn tz.mbn hidden.img.ext4 recovery.img sdi.mbn > MK2VEGA.tar

$ md5sum -t MK2VEGA.tar >> MK2VEGA.tar

$ mv MK2VEGA.tar MK2VEGA.tar.md5

$

Put your phone in download mode (vol down + home button + power button at the same time and then Vol up to confirm on screen instruction)
    Open Odin
    Plug your phone through USB, ODIN detects it.
    In odin, put in the AP field, the file c:\temp\MK2_stock\MK2VEGA.tar.md5
    Click Start.

When the phone reboots, in windows explorer, go to c:\temp\root_de_la_vega_sdcard and copy the folder root_files AND the file root_de_la_vega.sh to your phone.
    Reboot the phone.
    When it is started, delete the previously copied files from your phone.
    Reboot the phone.

Done

Hope this helps - if so don't forget to click the "Thank You" button
    I haven't forgotten about this, still working on a new version, however, the PS4 has slowed me down a lot ;)