[Q] Hacker's keyboard instead of Google's

Search This thread
Jul 26, 2014
Nexus 7 2013 & 4.4.4

Have installed Hacker's keyboard & prefer it as it is more like a real keyboard with a numeric top row & arrow keys & escape key. Cannot change the default keyboard even if the settings claim that it did; even disabled the Google keyboard & it still won't be done.

With the Google keyboard, even changed the advanced setting to allow different input method & selected Hacker keyboard BUT the Google keyboard remain stuck.

Interesting thing is that I have the System Panel installed as the task manager; the SP showed/named the Google keyboard as an ASUS keyboard! Gather it is the same but does the name change mean that the ASUS keyboard is hard coded somewhere?

Read popup keys can't be done on the tablet but I just want to use the Hacker's keyboard if it can be done on the Nexus 7. Am using the Hacker's keyboard on 3 other tablets.......

Telyx

Aug 31, 2009
Garden City, MI
I use Hacker's Keyboard on my Nexus 7 with no problems. Make sure that it's selected as your default input method, and tap-and-hold in a text input area so the Input Method box pops up, then select Hacker's Keyboard.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2014
I use Hacker's Keyboard on my Nexus 7 with no problems. Make sure that it's selected as your default input method, and tap-and-hold in a text input area so the Input Method box pops up, then select Hacker's Keyboard.

THANKS! I've only used the Hacker's keyboard in landscape mode on the Tab 2 & the A700 & Nook HD+ have a larger screen so that the numeric keys showed up in portrait mode. Your reply of using a keypress worked with doing it on the keyboard as it popped up the numerics & when in the numerics a long keypress popped up what one would get when doing a shift+numeric key as in the "&".

Guess I didn't try hard enough & should have tried both portrait & landscape mode for keyboard visualization. I am at that age that is quite cluttered & maybe solidified so ideas have a hard time to sink in.