Sms and calls

Search This thread

jonezy8873

Dec 9, 2011
Tamworth
Google Pixel 5
Hi folks, just (today) got a 4gb chinese lenovo p780
All is good but i have a problem with text/sms,
Basicly i send a message to someone all is fine. If they reply it starts a new thread and just a number and no name.
The number i send too starts with 07 (im in uk) but whrn i recive its +44 so would this couse the phone not to be able join the 2 together or do i have to change all my numbers to (example +4479****** etc

Any help would be good

Cheers

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using XDA Free mobile app

Dark_Horse

Apr 16, 2008
London
Basicly i send a message to someone all is fine. If they reply it starts a new thread and just a number and no name.
The number i send too starts with 07 (im in uk) but whrn i recive its +44 so would this couse the phone not to be able join the 2 together or do i have to change all my numbers to (example +4479****** etc

Any help would be good

Cheers

No problem here. If I have "Bob" in my phone book as 07xxx xxx xxx and Bob sends me a message, it shows up on the Lenovo as coming from "Bob" with phone number +4407xxx xxx xxx. I have a Chinese Lenovo too but flashed it with the ROW firmware for pure English.

jonezy8873

Dec 9, 2011
Tamworth
Google Pixel 5
Thanks for the reply,
I want to flash a new rom but im stuck. I have root,
I have try to install cwm with mobile uncle but its in chinese!!!! Im totaly stuck now.

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
If you decide to flash the phone, be careful. The rule is, if it's not broke, don't try to fix it :)

However, in case you still decide to go for it :
Watch out when you're using SP Flash on a recent model, it might (almost) brick your phone.
In addition to the thread mentioned above, also read this http://xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/help/p780-bricked-flashing-wrong-rom-doesnt-t2749683
This phone is quite nice, and flashing different ROMs is easy if you know what you're doing. Please read as much info on this forum from other users first if you're not experienced in doing these things. :)
One point of attention is the modem in the phone. It's a bit problematic. Flashing a new rom might knock out your second sim card or give you bad reception.
Please refer to http://xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/help/test-radios-4-row-t2761568 for tips.

Reactions: jonezy8873

jonezy8873

Dec 9, 2011
Tamworth
Google Pixel 5
thanks guys thats great, i have managed to put English cmw im just looking to be able to flash a new rom on it through cmw as all my computers run ubuntu or other linux.

any links would be great, thanks

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71

Any help would be good

Cheers

Hi. You need to do this:
1. go to Contacts - press menu button - fum menu press more features and settings - go to more contacts and feature - merge duplicate contacts.
2. After that you must do one thing that is hard iff you have to many contacts: edit contacts and put your country prefix in front of all contacts.

Tell me if this helped you.

jonezy8873

Dec 9, 2011
Tamworth
Google Pixel 5
Hi, thanks for reply. I had an update and its sorted it thanks.
Still want to know how to flash rom from recovery (without pc) cheers

casaben

Dec 3, 2007
Leuven
I hear you, also on Ubuntu, and although the latest version of SP Flash is supposed to work on Linux, didn't figure out how that would work, I guess it's command line messing.
So I got a Windows PC from somebody, sorry but that's the easiest way.

Unfortunately, P780 (and all MTK devices), are easy to flash so everyone is using that method.
Installing from recovery is not that popular, but there are exceptions.
Most of the time, you start out from a stock version, which you have now and backup, backup, backup that one. You'll probably need it if you want to install another ROM.

As far as I have learnt, there are a couple of ROMs you can install given that you have a stock ROM already running.
Either you stay on this forum, and you can try Life or Vibe, or you go to www.needrom.com/phone-roms/lenovo/serial-p/p780/ . Most ROMs there are recovery installable, and so suitable for your situation. So far, had no problems using ROW base with one of these.
vibeui.com (in Chinese, but apparently the 'official' Lenovo daughter site), offers Vibe 1.0 and 1.5 as recovery installable.
I've installed and played around with SLX, Vibe 1.0 and Vibe 1.5 (KitKat), all installable from recovery.
Although I tried to stay with Vibe 1.5 (because KitKat), I reverted back, mainly because:
- signal was worse than other ROMs
- I have a magnetic case working fine on stock but not at all on Vibe 1.5
- Battery drain problems, especially because of location services
- Location services not working for applications
- All in all, just a bit too buggy
SLX was the most pure Android I installed, but I missed the Lenovo specific additions.
In all honesty, I like the stock ROM after all, the Lenovo apps ans launcher, and settings are actually pretty good. I in fact like the Chinese stock rom more than the ROW (more settings, security app has more options,...), but a lot of stuff is Chinese, so no :)
One tip : on a stock version, install Xposed and the Gravitybox module, it's almost as good as installing another ROM. So much tweaking and modding, that I can customize whatever I want.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you decide to flash the phone, be careful. The rule is, if it's not broke, don't try to fix it :)

However, in case you still decide to go for it :
    Watch out when you're using SP Flash on a recent model, it might (almost) brick your phone.
    In addition to the thread mentioned above, also read this http://xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/help/p780-bricked-flashing-wrong-rom-doesnt-t2749683
    This phone is quite nice, and flashing different ROMs is easy if you know what you're doing. Please read as much info on this forum from other users first if you're not experienced in doing these things. :)
    One point of attention is the modem in the phone. It's a bit problematic. Flashing a new rom might knock out your second sim card or give you bad reception.
    Please refer to http://xdaforums.com/lenovo-p780/help/test-radios-4-row-t2761568 for tips.

Any help would be good

Cheers

Hi. You need to do this:
    1. go to Contacts - press menu button - fum menu press more features and settings - go to more contacts and feature - merge duplicate contacts.
    2. After that you must do one thing that is hard iff you have to many contacts: edit contacts and put your country prefix in front of all contacts.

Tell me if this helped you.
    I hear you, also on Ubuntu, and although the latest version of SP Flash is supposed to work on Linux, didn't figure out how that would work, I guess it's command line messing.
    So I got a Windows PC from somebody, sorry but that's the easiest way.

Unfortunately, P780 (and all MTK devices), are easy to flash so everyone is using that method.
    Installing from recovery is not that popular, but there are exceptions.
    Most of the time, you start out from a stock version, which you have now and backup, backup, backup that one. You'll probably need it if you want to install another ROM.

As far as I have learnt, there are a couple of ROMs you can install given that you have a stock ROM already running.
    Either you stay on this forum, and you can try Life or Vibe, or you go to www.needrom.com/phone-roms/lenovo/serial-p/p780/ . Most ROMs there are recovery installable, and so suitable for your situation. So far, had no problems using ROW base with one of these.
    vibeui.com (in Chinese, but apparently the 'official' Lenovo daughter site), offers Vibe 1.0 and 1.5 as recovery installable.
    I've installed and played around with SLX, Vibe 1.0 and Vibe 1.5 (KitKat), all installable from recovery.
    Although I tried to stay with Vibe 1.5 (because KitKat), I reverted back, mainly because:
    - signal was worse than other ROMs
    - I have a magnetic case working fine on stock but not at all on Vibe 1.5
    - Battery drain problems, especially because of location services
    - Location services not working for applications
    - All in all, just a bit too buggy
    SLX was the most pure Android I installed, but I missed the Lenovo specific additions.
    In all honesty, I like the stock ROM after all, the Lenovo apps ans launcher, and settings are actually pretty good. I in fact like the Chinese stock rom more than the ROW (more settings, security app has more options,...), but a lot of stuff is Chinese, so no :)
    One tip : on a stock version, install Xposed and the Gravitybox module, it's almost as good as installing another ROM. So much tweaking and modding, that I can customize whatever I want.