The Offical how I hard bricked my E4GT thread

Search This thread

daviddem

Mar 5, 2012
No More Brick

I just found a file that can repartition your bricked phones and not get stuck on data.img

I too fell victim to the BLOD. Last night when updating from CM9 to the latest build, the progress bar froze in CWM. I pulled the battery after letting it sit for a while. Tried to turn back on and all I get is the blue light. Fortunately I had another E4GT with a cracked screen sitting in the wings. A simple motherboard swap and I'm working again. Like others, I will definitely make sure I only flash from EL29.

srkmagnus

Jan 13, 2010
I have been doing a full restore to EG30 via Mobile Odin just to be on the safe side. It's considered a test build still and until stated otherwise I'm not going to be fully customizing settings and will keep app installation to a minimum. The less I have to worry about backing up the better.

Bad--Dog

Apr 4, 2010
and I JUST BRICKED MY PHONE!! flashing form cm9 to the new update, I guess I am to blame, oh well...:( no phone for me i guess!!!

Same thing here updating to latest build blod. I thought you could update from one cm9 to the next version guess not.......35 dollars later lesson learned.....those cough ota updates cough are bricking alotta phones cough

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
Same thing here updating to latest build blod. I thought you could update from one cm9 to the next version guess not.......35 dollars later lesson learned.....those cough ota updates cough are bricking alotta phones cough
I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice) but these are not OTA updates they are leaked builds that have to be manually flashed, meaning you made the choice to take the risk.

I feel really fortunate that I've yet to brick despite my recent flashing frenzy. Of course now that I've said that I'm going to have to hold off on flashing anymore leaked builds because I just jinxed myself. lol

jonathaflores

Apr 12, 2010
philadelphia
I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice) but these are not OTA updates they are leaked builds that have to be manually flashed, meaning you made the choice to take the risk.

I feel really fortunate that I've yet to brick despite my recent flashing frenzy. Of course now that I've said that I'm going to have to hold off on flashing anymore leaked builds because I just jinxed myself. lol

I believed he was being sarcastic, and that's what he told sprint. since that is what everyone says!! lol

Reactions: Esoteric68

daviddem

Mar 5, 2012
It was posted over here as well, it's just the Epic_4g_Touch_Pit.zip file mentioned elsewhere. It's been tried by others and no luck (I guess it fixed whatever problem daviddem was having though). Didn't help my issue with being stuck restoring at data.img either.

If you send your phone to Samsung they gonna fix it by this way
By the way if you dont like go to sprint store and $35 for replacement, you can send your phone to samsung under warranty and they will fix it

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

It was posted over here as well, it's just the Epic_4g_Touch_Pit.zip file mentioned elsewhere. It's been tried by others and no luck (I guess it fixed whatever problem daviddem was having though). Didn't help my issue with being stuck restoring at data.img either.

Were you going to share?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

If you send your phone to Samsung they gonna fix it by this way
By the way if you dont like go to sprint store and $35 for replacement, you can send your phone to samsung under warranty and they will fix it

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
I am quite sure everything has been tried at this point but I just remembered something and would like to throw it out there. My cousin has a Captivate and he brought it to me with the same issue. His pc took a dump in the middle of him flashing a rom through Odin. It would not boot up at all and only the light showed up I believe. Now I used my jig to get it into download mode but no matter how many times I flashed it with Odin it did not respond. I finally had to use a file I found (SamsungCaptivate-SGHi897-UCKB2-Rooted-One-Click.jar) Now this brought his phone back when nothing else would. I am not a Samsung guy and I am not sure if someone could look into how that file operates and see if we can someone replace it with our version.

This may have already of been done and if so my bad for repeating info. If anyone wants to try just PM me and I can load up the file on a server for you. Just trying to help? The Captivate phone may operate differently but the issue seems the same.

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
"I believed he was being sarcastic, and that's what he told sprint. since that is what everyone says!! lol" (screwed up and forgot to mark quote message in reply)

Oh, duh lol you're right. I can't believe I missed the sarcasm!

Vip3rV333

Aug 1, 2007
Well, I went to the sprint store today and they couldn't turn it on. INSTEAD they just replaced the phone with a new one (the lady said that they don't normally do that, but since it was Saturday and she didn't want me to not have a phone till Tuesday she just gave me a new one). I had to pay $35 since I didn't have insurance, but that was fine with me. Just happy to be back! :D Rooted it right when I got home, and then restored back to Blazer. I'm gonna wait out on ICS until something truly stable is released, which hopefully won't be too long.

Wait, I have no insurance wither. How did you only pay $35 for a replacement? I thought they couldn't do anything if you didn't have insurance?

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
Wait, I have no insurance wither. How did you only pay $35 for a replacement? I thought they couldn't do anything if you didn't have insurance?

You can get a warranty replacement from Sprint. I believe it falls under the 1 year manufacturers defect warranty. Insurance would come into play past the 1 year mark, or for things like a cracked screen (user damage). I think it is how it's working anyways. I read a lot of crap and barely remember half of it. ;)

moeinyoho

Sep 24, 2011
was already on cm9 alpha 4 (think it was 4) and i wanted to flash a different modem and i wasnt paying attention and flashed the cm9 zip instead:mad:

instant blue light of death.....got another one tho so i aight sweating it:D

krazyflipj

Jan 14, 2008
You can get a warranty replacement from Sprint. I believe it falls under the 1 year manufacturers defect warranty. Insurance would come into play past the 1 year mark, or for things like a cracked screen (user damage). I think it is how it's working anyways. I read a lot of crap and barely remember half of it. ;)

Can I get this warranty replacement if I bought it from Best Buy?

moeinyoho

Sep 24, 2011

i bricked mine last week and i told the rep on the phone from my town's local sprint store my bulls**t lie and the dude was like $35 to fix and $100 for a replacement.

i paid $35 for my replacement but i think thats because when i got there my friend of 10+ years still works there lol :D

Reactions: Vip3rV333

mtsmedly

Aug 26, 2010
Las Vegas
I'll add my story to the thread in case anyone can help me out. I Went from MIUI 2.3 and flashed via CWM to the latest CM9 build. Everything was going great except my Google Market wouldn't download any apps. (Kept getting error -101) Even tried updating to the latest Play Store and no dice. Anyway, in my frustration, I rebooted to recovery, noticed I was on a version of CWM and tried to restore a nandroid I made of my rooted stock 2.3 Touchwiz EL29. That didn't work, wouldn't boot past Samsung logo. Then I tried to Odin back and it failed when it gets to the data part of the odin install (basically at 99%).

I'm going to try Odin for the latest ICS build from Samsung to see if that helps, otherwise it's Sprint store for me tomorrow and playing dumb.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

So, all my messing has taken me to a screen that says:

"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recover mode in Kies & try again."

Anyone else get this screen? This is after my attempts to Odin back to stock. Am I totally bricked? Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I go to sprint tomorrow... :(

Dchibro

Jul 28, 2011
San Diego, CA
Anyone else get this screen? This is after my attempts to Odin back to stock. Am I totally bricked? Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I go to sprint tomorrow... :(

Quite likely yes. Some get a black screen and blue light (Blue LED of Death) and others like you can boot into recovery and even connect to Odin, but then fails at the data.img part. Very likely your EMMC is damaged beyond repair. Since your phone boots into download mode, a Sprint tech will probably try to do the same thing you tried (Odin stock) and fail as well, then get you set up with a warranty replacement.

However, in your case, I would use a jig if you have one to reset the Odin binary counter (assuming you have a flash count). Don't need to give them any ammo to deny you a replacement. The BLoD people actually have it easier in this regard, because the phone is literally dead besides the pretty blue light.

Reactions: mtsmedly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    E4gt wasn't really brickable either until:

People saw ics test releases coming out for the intl gs2 and started flashing them getting the intl bootloader which rendered their usb port inoperable even though they could get intk odin dl mode.

Ics test releases started coming out for e4gt which ended up using a linux 3.0 kernel which has slightly changed how partitions are accesed. This coupled with a suggestion that people combine cwm touch with the new kernel caused the 2nd set of bricks.

Both these conditions didn't exist during tge og epic days you remember. There was far less confusion about the intl galaxy s and there was no 3.0 linux kernel with ics.
    Well since I just bricked my phone I decided to start this tread. I figured it would be helpful for people to read to keep them from bricking their phone by not following the same process of the unlucky few who have hard bricked their device.

I flashed the Rogue CM9 kernel through Mobile Odin Pro and while on the FB17 leak from Calk which is where I think I made my mistake. when I went to flash CM9 alpha 3.1 it got stuck at install for about 15 minutes before i decided to the battery which I knew was a HORRIBLE idea. When I tried to boot back up all I got was a blue light. My guess is that the phone didn't like that I had a AOSP Kernel while on a TW rom and got confused and froze because it didn't know what to do next. The good news it that sprint is ever so gracious to provide me with a new phone coming in the mail on Thursday since they don't have any in stock. I just told them I got a update and when it installed it wouldn't boot back up and I should hopefully be back in business with some CM9 yumminess later this week :D thank the cellular gods for insurance!

Some users are reporting that mobiletechvideos.com is somewhere you can send your phone too have it brought back from the dead.
    Oh I bricked my ET4G by........by.........No wait, Ive never bricked my sh** before. Lol.

4257422d-04c5-2caa.jpg

^^^What he said :rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    After I got the blue led of death, I took it into sprint and played dumb. (The guy from mobiletechvideos emailed me and said that he probably couldnt fix my phone) I told sprint that it dropped it the middle of an update, and wouldnt boot. Came back two hours later, and they said they tried to swap the screen. (Idiots) Left 5 minutes later with a brand new one. Social Engineering at its finest.
    Imo it is more productive to concentrate on providing solutions rather than ripping on each other.

It is hard to get down to the bottom of the issue with cwm touch fake flashed onto an ics linux 3.0 kernel when previously it had only been paired with a gb linux 2.6 kernel, especially when one is working blind and doesn't have the source for either.

I did notice the major/minor dev numbers changed for the /data partition between the ics 3.0 kernel and the gb 2.6 kernel while most of the other partitions stayed the same. That might explain why all the other partitions are fine and it is /data that is hosed. I would start there and see if there is any hard-coded partition info that wouldn't adjust.