Cheap ebay magnetic charger cable isn't that great!

Search This thread

AlanJC

Nov 15, 2004
West Midlands
I bought a couple of these from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151247910444?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The USB plug end is huge, and the magnet is very weak. It's OK if you leave it flat on the desk, but picking the phone up means it's more than likely going to fall off.

I'd be wary of this kind if you're thinking of getting one.

I'd like one with a very strong magnet so that I can plug it into a USB battery pack and leave it in my pocket without wondering whether the magnet connector has fallen off.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: LaZiODROID

Roland0180

May 9, 2014
I also bought such a cable. Mine is actually pretty good so far. Magnet power is good enough and the overall cable is just as good as a standard Sony cable. And only 3 euros incl. shipping.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Phukkitt

Jun 19, 2013
Stockholm
I bought a couple of these from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151247910444?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The USB plug end is huge, and the magnet is very weak. It's OK if you leave it flat on the desk, but picking the phone up means it's more than likely going to fall off.

I'd like one with a very strong magnet so that I can plug it into a USB battery pack and leave it in my pocket without wondering whether the magnet connector has fallen off.

Any suggestions?

I don't think you will have any luck finding one like that, as the connector was never designed to be used as a stand alone cable, it was always meant to be inside a charging stand/dock. Even if the magnet is very strong when pulling straight out from the connector (like being able to lift the phone with it) it will still come off super easy if pulled at an angle.
Maybe you could buy a cheap dock, then cut some in it so that all that is left will be like a clamp that goes around the edge of the phone and holds the cable steady? Or maybe some cheap case where you can glue tha connector to the case and only use it when charging?

pathaniya

May 28, 2010
Are they no official magnetic charger available? Isn't anyone here using?

AlanJC

Nov 15, 2004
West Midlands
I don't think you will have any luck finding one like that, as the connector was never designed to be used as a stand alone cable, it was always meant to be inside a charging stand/dock. Even if the magnet is very strong when pulling straight out from the connector (like being able to lift the phone with it) it will still come off super easy if pulled at an angle.
Maybe you could buy a cheap dock, then cut some in it so that all that is left will be like a clamp that goes around the edge of the phone and holds the cable steady? Or maybe some cheap case where you can glue tha connector to the case and only use it when charging?

I That's given me an idea, perhaps these cables with some Sugru so that it aligns to the edge of the handset might do the trick!

kickling

May 3, 2014
Yup, I complained about the weakness of the magnet and got my money back from the eBay seller

Phukkitt

Jun 19, 2013
Stockholm
Are they no official magnetic charger available? Isn't anyone here using?

The only official magnetic charger is the DK32 charging dock. The cables that most people buy are the same cables that is inside the dock, but it's impossible to know whether they are original parts or just copies since Sony doesn't officially sell that cable as a separate unit. The ones that sellers claim to be originals could very well only be meant as replacement parts or a simple way for phone repair shops to charge the phones.

zxqw

Apr 29, 2014
The magnet is weak and actually takes some effort to get it to align, I was hoping that it would suck itself in like a MagSafe connector does. It also charges at about 70% the speed of the original USB charging cable even when connected to the same ipad wallwart.

I'm unimpressed with my knock-off cable but for the price, I can accept the mediocre quality.

jiayit

Apr 14, 2013
Singapore
The magnet is weak and actually takes some effort to get it to align, I was hoping that it would suck itself in like a MagSafe connector does. It also charges at about 70% the speed of the original USB charging cable even when connected to the same ipad wallwart.

I'm unimpressed with my knock-off cable but for the price, I can accept the mediocre quality.

Well I paid 15 for mine (bought from a retailer) and they don't do refunds.
Lesson learnt...

Iruwen

Dec 14, 2012
What do you expect from such a small magnet? Imo it's quite strong already. I got this cable, which doesn't have a stronger magnet but aligns better, and it's cheap - I'm from Germany though: http://www.ebay.de/itm/-/291037184668
I also have the one the op has, with that one the phone started charging but it was so slow that it never finished. Modifiying the plastic and pins didn't help.

Dec 21, 2011
Not sure if it fits here, as my cable was not bought through ebay...

I got the OEM Magnetic Charging USB Cable for Sony Xperia Smartphone Black with Sony logo on the magnetic plug and it doesn't look too good: cheap to the looks and touch. The cable is thinner and feels flimsy compared to the USB charging cable that came stock with the phone. The magnet holds so-so but won't do too well when grabbing the phone, answering a call or whatever. The USB plug is huge, feels and looks cheap as well and can't be fully inserted into the charger; a bit of the metal part will stick out, that is.

I didn't do a full charge so far, so, can't commend on that part. I didn't measure the time but from what it felt like, the magnetic cable charges pretty fast - I'd say about the same rate as the stock micro USB cable (both with stock wall socket charger). But pay attention if you move the phone; the magnetic plug comes off really easy and might cause some bad surprise the next morning (the moment you wake up and notice your phone died on you and didn't wake you up ... about 2 hours ago, which was about an hour before you should've left to go to work and so on).

Now, if I'm not mistaken, witrigs says somewhere on their site that there would be huge difference between the Original OEM :angel: cable and the cheaper 3rd party ones the also offer. Honestly, I can't imagine the really cheap ones are much worse (as far as look & feel and usability goes).

Last edited:

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Huawei MatePad Pro
Google Pixel 7
I bought two of the following a few weeks back (for work and home) and overall am quite happy. The magnet is reasonably strong - I can lift the phone to check an email etc without it falling off - not sure about a phone call with it attached though...

cant post link - got it from dx-box website item SKU-8894

I have just ordered a 3rd cable for the car - after buying a case which has a cutout for the magnetic port but NOT for the microusb port:

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Huawei MatePad Pro
Google Pixel 7
What case might that be? I am looking for a case with almost no cut-outs myself (camera/flash, magnetic charging port, headphone jack).

I got the Zukin Mini Ultra Thin Aluminium Bumper
I cant post links so you will just have to google it - sorry.

It has cutouts for the Magentic port, the Sim card, the camera and the power + volume buttons, headphones and bottom speaker - but NOT the SD card nor the usb port...

Xaeons

Aug 27, 2010
Manila, PH
I bought two of the following a few weeks back (for work and home) and overall am quite happy. The magnet is reasonably strong - I can lift the phone to check an email etc without it falling off - not sure about a phone call with it attached though...

cant post link - got it from dx-box website item SKU-8894

I bought a few of this original Sony magnetic charger cables for my Z1c the last months.
http://dx-box.com/brand-new-magnetic-usb-charging-cable-adapter-for-sony-xperia-z1-compact.html
It fits perfect and there are no problems while charging.

Looks like you both ordered from the same site.Can you both attest to the magnet's ability to stick to the phone?

dhchris

Looks like you both ordered from the same site.Can you both attest to the magnet's ability to stick to the phone?

The magnetic ability is okay, not very strong but if you let the phone on your desk, it´s no problem.
I don´t know if a stronger magnet can damage the phone.
I placed a cable of this in my car-holder and fixed it with a little point of glue and there´s no problem with vibrations while driving.
And also good at this cable:
You can not reverse polarities!

I hope i could help you.

Regards, Chris

Reactions: Xaeons

Xaeons

Aug 27, 2010
Manila, PH
The magnetic ability is okay, not very strong but if you let the phone on your desk, it´s no problem.
I placed a cable of this in my car-holder and fixed it with a little point of glue and there´s no problem with vibrations while driving.

I hope i could help you.s

I see, thanks!

On another note:
Hasn't anyone bought from Witrigs or is the shipping too far?

EDIT: Ok, witrigs' estimated shipping time is ridiculously long (for someone like me in south east asia) dx-box is better

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2011
I see, thanks!

On another note:
Hasn't anyone bought from Witrigs or is the shipping too far?

EDIT: Ok, witrigs' estimated shipping time is ridiculously long (for someone like me in south east asia) dx-box is better

I did. But I am in Europe, so, it doesn't say anything about shipping within Asia.

However, for my order, delivery took about 2 weeks, which is pretty fast compared to most of my previous orders from China (usually 3 to 4 weeks without the customs interfering).

Xaeons

Aug 27, 2010
Manila, PH
I did. But I am in Europe, so, it doesn't say anything about shipping within Asia.

However, for my order, delivery took about 2 weeks, which is pretty fast compared to most of my previous orders from China (usually 3 to 4 weeks without the customs interfering).

I may order a magnetic charging cable from witrigs along with a glass back replacement part so I'd get more out of the shipping fee and shipping time.

There are options for shipping via different countries with different shipping costs (at the bottom upon checkout)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any suggestions?

I hope i could help you.

Regards, Chris
    Has anyone thought about the Magnector X adapter for your phones, they do an adapter so you can plug any micro usb cable into it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MagNector...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item338ff25701

and also just a standard usb cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnector...al_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4ad676cb92

EVERY review that I've read has said that its fantastic and more than worth the asking price of £10-15, most reviews said they decided to buy another for the car/office etc after seeing the quality first hand. - that was for the micro usb adapter.

I'm thinking I'll get one as I already have a 10 ft. micro usb cable that I would like to continue using :fingers-crossed:

If anyone already has one of these can you tell me what you think of it and if its worth getting one of these adapters over the £3 "oem" ones on ebay.
    I've been using the Magtron Magnector X cable (not the adapter) for quite some time now.

What is good:
    • As for looks, touch&feel and use, It is of much better quality than the ones marked "SONY" that you can buy for ~10 $US from china (witrigs for instance).
    • Together with the shape of the housing, the magnet does a much better job at keeping the plug connected to the phone. I'd say, the magnet itself might also be a bit stronger than on the "SONY".
    • The plastic housing of the magnetic plug is solid and won't catch dirt between the housing and the magnet (unlike the "SONY" ones where the housing is soft and sometimes leaves a gap).

What is not:
    • There is a downside to the shaped magnet plug - the plug housing doesn't fit perfectly to the naked phone, but only leaves too small of a gap for the most cases to fit in. So, some trimming on the case may be required - either cut a bigger hole or make the case really really thin where the plug housing touches
    • The cable, while perhaps a bit longer than the "SONY" (just guessing from looking at both), is still very short - too short (at least for my taste ... I sometimes read on my phone before sleeping, which is usually also the time my phone charges and there is not always a wall socket or USB port within the range of less than 1 meter)
    • The magnet plug doesn't just pop onto the phone. I know, this is due to the bad design of the interface itself, but this very product - sometimes - does take, say, half a second more to securely connect (for me, that is; your's might pop better, who knows...).

Being in Europe, I paid about 15 € for a cable shipped, which is quite a bite more than 10 $US. But then again, the cable feels much much better than the china "SONY" ones (which may even be real, dunno). If you asked me - get this one and don't buy the cheaper "SONY". I'd even buy another one, if they only made it a longer.