[KERNEL][TOUCHWIZ] PeanutButta Jelly

Search This thread

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Why I keep getting failed when I try install this kernel with twrp? I downloaded the kernel twice, and still same error
I bet it says status 7. If You read the OP it says you need to update your recovery.

What he said, first question in the FAQ:

imnuts said:
[size=+2]FAQ[/size]
I get a "Status 7" error when trying to install, WTF?
Update your recovery. TWRP that is flashed via the unlock method does not process asserts properly (it was compiled for a different Note 2 model). This is meant to keep people from flashing this to the wrong device.

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011
Re: [KERNEL][TW][2-18-13]PeanutButta Jelly

How do we utilize the voodoo sound that was pulled in? Sorry if that's a dumb question just never heard of voodoo sound before today

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
How do we utilize the voodoo sound that was pulled in? Sorry if that's a dumb question just never heard of voodoo sound before today

I haven't really done much with it yet on my Note 2 (I've been busy), but you can use the Voodoo Sound app to control it. I haven't listened to see how the various settings affect things though yet. I know back on my Fascinate and Charge, there was a vast difference, but I haven't noticed anything with my Note 2 yet.

Reactions: hopesrequiem

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010

I haven't really done much with it yet on my Note 2 (I've been busy), but you can use the Voodoo Sound app to control it. I haven't listened to see how the various settings affect things though yet. I know back on my Fascinate and Charge, there was a vast difference, but I haven't noticed anything with my Note 2 yet.

I hear no difference. I hope you can get it working better in the future

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III

You're right on the charge it was night and day. On the note less noticeable difference, but there is. I was in my company car today. Normally I can only turn the volume up to 32 when playing through the aux port before it distorts. Today I had it up to 40 and it was loud and crystal clear. Also just a much crisper sound through all ranges.

If you are using expensive headphones the sound is probably already great so you won't know the difference, but in my companies cheap car it was evident.

Reactions: hopesrequiem

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011

You're right on the charge it was night and day. On the note less noticeable difference, but there is. I was in my company car today. Normally I can only turn the volume up to 32 when playing through the aux port before it distorts. Today I had it up to 40 and it was loud and crystal clear. Also just a much crisper sound through all ranges.

If you are using expensive headphones the sound is probably already great so you won't know the difference, but in my companies cheap car it was evident.

I probably won't hear any difference then. Klipsche s4i's kick ass already haha

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I hear no difference. I hope you can get it working better in the future

Depending on what you're listening too, you won't hear a difference. Voodoo Sound cleans up the output of the audio, and it only affects things going through the 3.5mm jack, so the speaker and bluetooth aren't affected. If you're looking for something like Beats Audio (which is nothing but a marketing ploy), this isn't it. The Play Store entry gives a general idea of what it is meant to accomplish, and there is some more info on his website and on XDA about what Voodoo Sound is and isn't.

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010

Depending on what you're listening too, you won't hear a difference. Voodoo Sound cleans up the output of the audio, and it only affects things going through the 3.5mm jack, so the speaker and bluetooth aren't affected. If you're looking for something like Beats Audio (which is nothing but a marketing ploy), this isn't it. The Play Store entry gives a general idea of what it is meant to accomplish, and there is some more info on his website and on XDA about what Voodoo Sound is and isn't.

Thanks for the info! Beats audio it's okay, but I like it cause it makes the sound so much higher than stock.

Does your Rom have any volume anhancements?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

littleguevara

May 21, 2010

Been running this all day, definitely doesn't hurt anything. Thanks op

Edit: after running it since release it starting hot rebooting on YouTube video fast forwarding, back to stock I go

sent from my Note 2

Last edited:

GermanGuy

Mar 19, 2005
Minneapolis

Getting a boot loop on beans 9. Did wipe cache and dalvik.

Update: same boot loop when installing on ported tweaks rom for Verizon.

Last edited:

jrbxx7

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 18, 2011

Any chance of adding custom boot ani?. I've tried a few flashable zips with no success. Thanks.

sent from unlocked Tweaked sch-i605

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Been running this all day, definitely doesn't hurt anything. Thanks op

Edit: after running it since release it starting hot rebooting on YouTube video fast forwarding, back to stock I go

sent from my Note 2

Getting a boot loop on beans 9. Did wipe cache and dalvik.

Update: same boot loop when installing on ported tweaks rom for Verizon.

Read the FAQ if you actually want me to try and fix it for you. I just skipped through a YouTube video without any problem and it is booting up just fine for me, so it's something else causing your problems.

COMTB

Mar 24, 2011
Loveland
Flashed no issues with cwm, today is first full day on it but so far running nice and smooth!

Thanks!!

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
SWEET! I can't wait to try this out. I love the OP, Imnuts-- I agree that the Original Development forum is confusing and pointless.
I was pretty stoked with Perseus kernel, but PBJ always performs like a champ.
Will report in after testing.

dawiseguy77

Dec 11, 2010

This kernel is fantastic on clean rom lite. Great work nuts

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
So I just flashed and the kernel seems very snappy.
I noticed that CIFS does not seem to be supported.
I also had some trouble with Voodoo Sound. The latest version of Voodoo Sound seemed to be unable to utilize any of the features of the program. Headphone amplifier volume had no effect on the volume. Bass Boost feature did not work.
I don't expect miracles, I just wanted to report back. Perseus with STweaks works for controlling the features that Voodoo Sound has, albeit a bit more clumsy. In STweaks, there is no shortcut for the headphone amplifier control and no "Smart Amplifier" style volume control.

dawiseguy77

Dec 11, 2010

Anyone have nfc working on this kernel? Mine doesn't seem to work

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a custom kernel based on the latest GT-N7100 sources for the Note 2. I've taken a lot of stuff out, so if you like playing around with changing 500 things on the kernel before you start using your phone, look somewhere else. It pulls in Beoffla Sound and Simple IO Scheduler and removes as much debugging stuff as possible, non-default CPU and IO schedulers, and Ext2 Support (Ext4 handles Ext2/3). I've also gotten rid of recovery over-write on boot and enabled adb root by default.

There is no overclocking support, overclocking is useless unless you're pumping up your e-peen. There is no undervolting support as it hasn't been shown to do anything useful on multi-core systems from everything I've seen. There is no init.d support as 90% of the init.d scripts are useless. It will continue using stock boot animations as well, though I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult to make stock android boot animations work. That may even be possible without any kernel changes anyway.

The only issue I've run into is that exFAT SDcards may not work with it. I've been trying to figure out why, but it is slow going when I don't have an exFAT card to test with. If anyone would like to help fix it, flash and get me full dmesg and logcats. If you don't know how to get those, but still want to help, see my SDK Guide for a general overview of what to do.

This kernel is built for TouchWiz ROMs, and should work on any available VZW ROM currently available. It works for VRALJB, VRALL4, and VRAMC3 from my own testing, let me know if you have issues on a TW ROM and I may be able to fix it. For a download, see below. I also am not posting in original development because IMO, that entire forum is useless and confusing.

[size=+2]Change log[/size]
    Initial Release

XZ Compression
    No worrying about exFAT (for now)
    Attempt to get rid of hot boots or full reboots that some people experience.

Drop Voodoo Sound, go to Boeffla Sound
    Increased SD Card read ahead for better performance
    Enabled Car Dock Charger support

Actually enable the car dock charging support this time
    Try and fix the lockups after long (>2 day) uptimes

Insignificant Config Change
    Build for many new models

Color Control

Make it so STweaks works, so you can use the new color controls

Update sources and ramdisk

exFAT support

[size=+2]Known Issues[/size]
    My Bank Account Balance

XDA:DevDB Information
    PeanutButta Jelly, a Kernel for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    imnuts, Samsung
    Kernel Special Features: Bare Bones, No Frills, Set it and Forget it

Version Information
    Stable Release Date: 2013-07-26

Created 2013-07-30
    Last Updated 2013-07-30
    [size=+2]FAQ[/size]
    I get a "Status 7" error when trying to install, WTF?
    Update your recovery. TWRP that is flashed via the unlock method does not process asserts properly (it was compiled for a different Note 2 model). This is meant to keep people from flashing this to the wrong device.

My exFAT SDcard isn't working :(
    See the OP, I need info to get exFAT to work properly. Until then, format your SDCard to FAT32

Where are all the options?
    You can't read, I already said there are none. This is flash and forget it.

This is the best thing since sliced bread, can I make it rain?
    Click the DONATE TO ME button to the left, or click here, it's appreciated, but not expected. Clicking thanks on the posts also works.

This thing is worse than Tub Girl, how do I go back to what I had before?
    Just reflash your old kernel. If you were on stock before, I've posted the stock kernels at the end of this post.

I'm having a problem, FIX IT NAO!!!1!
    Send me both the output from dmesg and logcat as well as details of what you do when you see the problem. Otherwise, the source is linked to below, fix it yourself.

Can we get XYZ feature added?
    Link to it, and I'll think about it.

[size=+2]Download[/size]
    0726 Build
    0519 Build
    0419 Build
    0408 Build
    0404 Build
    0330 Build
    0304 Build
    Original Release

[size=+1]Downloads for Other Carriers[/size]
    AT&T Note 2 (SGH-I317)
    International Note 2 (GT-N7100)
    International Note 2 LTE (GT-N7105)
    Sprint Note 2 (SPH-L900)
    T-Mobile Note 2 (SGH-T889)
    US Cellular Note 2 (SCH-R950)

[size=+2]Source[/size]
    Github

[size=+2]Stock Kernels[/size]
    VRALJB
    VRALL4
    VRAMC3
    looks pretty good would u mind if i modify the ramdisk and add init.d/bootanim support and have it as an option in my rom?

Go for it
    Here is a custom kernel based on the latest GT-N7100 sources for the Note 2. I've taken a lot of stuff out, so if you like playing around with changing 500 things on the kernel before you start using your phone, look somewhere else. It pulls in Voodoo Sound, Simple IO Scheduler, and Joe's Tiny RCU. I've also gotten rid of recovery over-write on boot and enabled adb root by default. It removes as much debugging stuff as possible, non-default CPU and IO schedulers, and Ext2 Support (Ext4 handles Ext2/3).

There is no overclocking support, overclocking is useless unless you're pumping up your e-peen. There is no undervolting support as it hasn't been shown to do anything useful on multi-core systems from everything I've seen. There is no init.d support as 90% of the init.d scripts are useless. It will continue using stock boot animations as well, though I'm sure it wouldn't be to difficult to make stock android boot animations work. That may even be possible without any kernel changes anyway.

The only issue I've run into is that exFAT SDcards may not work with it. I've been trying to figure out why, but it is slow going when I don't have an exFAT card to test with. If anyone would like to help fix it, flash and get me full dmesg and logcats. If you don't know how to get those, but still want to help, see my SDK Guide for a general overview of what to do.

This kernel is built for TouchWiz ROMs, and should work on any available VZW ROM currently available. It works for both VRALJB and VRALL4 from my own testing, let me know if you have issues on a TW ROM and I may be able to fix it. For a download, see below. I also am not posting in original development because IMO, that entire forum is useless and confusing.
    looks pretty good would u mind if i modify the ramdisk and add init.d/bootanim support and have it as an option in my rom?
    New build up. I believe it may fix the issues people see after extended periods of up-time, but it's kind of hard to test that in a couple minutes.