LG G2 and the LAG/STUTTERING issue

Search This thread
B

bachera

wait how did you install apps, was that throught backups?

Try reinstalling fresh after factory reset one by one. This to eliminate data issues that could slow things down.

Another idea is check settings of those apps. If on launch they first need to make a data connection, that could also slow things down drastically.

So if all above doesnt fix it, your not root or running custom stuff then its probably a device issue. Only then...

Also define lagg, some things just wont be instant. It could be on the other hand an app issue

Last edited:

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
I think the term 'lag' is subjective cause what the OPer sees as lag another person may not see as lag. I for one see stuttering and not just with redrawing of the stock launcher, i'm using an ATT variant with a rooted, stock ROM BTW. I have about 150 apps, one home screen with one widget, one folder and 15 apps. I'm coming from an HTC One which i still have, rooted, running Viper One and prior to that i had a Nexus 4. Comparing my experience with the these devices i can say that there is a bit of stuttering throughout the G2's interface. Don't get me wrong the apps launch faster on the G2 , but the transition animation between pressing the app and it actually opening seems a bit jerky by comparison. Its not as smooth as the HTC One while scrolling the same apps side by side nor is it even close to being as smooth as the stock android running N4. I'm not equating smoothness to speed, because the G2 easily outpaces them both but jerks a lot doing it. I tried Clean ROM, didn't help much, so now i'm just in the waiting/researching phase to get this sorted out but the stuttering is real, at least for me. My friend should be getting a T Mobile variant this weekend so i'll do a comparison then.

This is the kind of lag I'm interested in... Or more accurately, frames per second throughout the UI. Thanks for the account.

In my opinion a device feels more pleasant to use when it has a higher frame rate during UI navigation, so I gravitate towards devices that excel in this area. Apple understood this basic principle from when they initially conceived the modern day smartphone. It's mind boggling and disappointing that huge companies like Samsung or LG don't prioritize high performance when they create their software... The real tragedy is that most people don't seem to care, thus Sammy and LG have no reason to change.

I'm getting sick of my S3 (despite its lovely AOSP ROMs) and want something better. I really want to love the G2. It has a remarkably small bezel and magnificent screen but the TouchWiz-like skin, fully equipped with stutters and all, has me attending church every Sunday PRAYING for a Nexus 5 on Verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

android404

Jan 19, 2013
The real tragedy is that most people don't seem to care, thus Sammy and LG have no reason to change.

There is this joke about the guy driving on the M6 when he hears on the radio "attention! There's a guy driving in the wrong direction on the M6!". He looks around and thinks to himself: "ONE guy?? It's HUNDREDS of them!"

Last edited:

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
It's mind boggling and disappointing that huge companies like Samsung or LG don't prioritize high performance when they create their software...
The Google for project Butter and Qualcomm are to blame for lags in Android UI.
Then again, if Optimus UI indeed has many noticable lags the source of 4.2.2 ROM should be on ftp somewhere and everybody should has access to source to point LG to sources of lags
The real tragedy is that most people don't seem to care, thus Sammy and LG have no reason to change.

The most people really don't see and notice any lags especially in Optimus UI. It need very picky and hardcore man to notice them

brianfields33

Oct 7, 2013
I have issues with the touchscreen. About two times a day it will become buggy and just start jumping around on me. This makes it impossible to type using the swype method. I am running all stock (even keyboard) to troubleshoot the issue. Once I put the phone to sleep and unlock again the issue goes away. I'll try to capture video next time it does it.

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
The Google for project Butter and Qualcomm are to blame for lags in Android UI.
Then again, if Optimus UI indeed has many noticable lags the source of 4.2.2 ROM should be on ftp somewhere and everybody should has access to source to point LG to sources of lags

The most people really don't see and notice any lags especially in Optimus UI. It need very picky and hardcore man to notice them

Yeah I realize I'm probably the minority on this. I have an extremely keen eye when it comes to performance thanks to my background in game and graphic design.

"It's a tragedy to me" I should have said. The way I phrased it was a little condescending. Sorry about that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

brianfields33

Oct 7, 2013
I have issues with the touchscreen. About two times a day it will become buggy and just start jumping around on me. This makes it impossible to type using the swype method. I am running all stock (even keyboard) to troubleshoot the issue. Once I put the phone to sleep and unlock again the issue goes away. I'll try to capture video next time it does it.

This isn't that exact issue, but this one does happen a few times a day as well. Again, it's fine when i unlock it again.

Reactions: javahuan

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
no, that's not lag at all. there's no stuttering

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, some people see lags in places where others just see fluid responsive UI. And sometimes animation of windows moving considered as a lag. Very different needs and demands of different people. For some 15 fps in animation is not an issue at all, and for some anything below 60fps is stuttering, lagging, and pissing them off.

flickyamom

Aug 30, 2011
Singapore

Seems like I'm not the only one having these problems. Anyone else experience this?

gm007

May 29, 2011

lol that's normal if you clear the ram.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda premium

nexicon

Aug 2, 2011
Kansas CIty
I was getting data drops and some crazy lag. Swapped it out for another. Issue fixed so far. Let's see..

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
I've had a few g2s already and the 3rd one lagged. That one is now on its way back and a new (4th) is on its way. Will see what happens when it gets here. The first 2 had no lag at all.

Before anybody asks:

First one had a camera problem - when taking a pic in direct sunlight, the screen would shut off. Resets wouldn't fix it or anything..

Second one had muffled speaker voice and the grill over the speaker was dented from factory.

Third one lagged, had dirt under the right side of the screen and the power button was recessed.

20degrees

Oct 11, 2012
20degrees, that sucks, where did you buy from :(

T-Mobile. First and third were from over the phone. Second was online.

I did notice the first had a black imei sticker and the last two had white ones. The last two were earlier dates too.

So Idk. If this fourth has problems, Idk what I'm gonna do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thus has got to be one of the stranger discussions on XDA. Lots of contributors, a lot of disagreement about other people's experiences - which is just plain silly, people who experience issues insisting that others also have these issues - but just don't know it. Finally, there's a lot of talk about "lagging" when scrolling through web pages and online apps like Tapatalk - perhaps the worst way to determine that a phone / OS combo has performance issues.

Last item first: "lag" in a web browser can occur from a wide variety of reasons, such as user LAN, network connection, network congestion, other running local apps, server side issues such as traffic...and also the way the page is coded: is it designed to display incrementally or prepare and send the whole formatted page? Apps like Tapatalk "lag" because they pull and format content incrementally and a fast swipe down may invoke several server side data reads with a visible pause at each.

Layer on top of this the various content caching and distribution networks like Akamai, and you really confuse the issue.

Bloatware certainly slows things down, but you don't necessarily need a custom ROM to get past this. You can use Android's built in ability to disable the vast majority of bloatware apps without even having to root the phone. On a phone like the G2, the "downside" of having disabled apps occupying memory is negligible and the stock launcher lets you selectively hide apps. So...except for perhaps one or two apps, you can easily disable and hide bloatware so that it truly has no impact on performance - stock, unrooted. Also... With most of the G2 variants, you can turn off thermal throttling without having to root, addressing what some gamers experience as lag.

I've been in IT for decades - architect, dev, CTO, CIO. I've been using cellphones for 22 years, and have been unlocking, rooting and modding them for about 5 years. I've got some idea what I'm talking about. I can't comment about gaming performance, but for all other normal use, this is the fastest, smoothest phone I've used or owned, period. I also can't account for other's configurations and background apps, but my G2 is essentially lag free (really - not my poor limited perception).

Kitkat will improve things, and if we're allowed ART, we should see an even greater improvement (ART does wondrous things for a Galaxy Nexus).

As many tweaks, mods and custom ROMs I've used over the years, and as much as I appreciate the efforts of the Devs here, I'm not entirely convinced that a generic custom ROM will perform as well, no less better, than a ROM and kernel tweaked specifically for this hardware (I know, let the flames begin). My guess is that the best will be those based, to the extent possible, on the stock LG version - tweaked and modded from there. But that's just speculation.

Some feel obligated to find "issues" with new leading edge products. Pretty consistent pattern if you check many of the product specific forums. Also consistently, people who don't experience these issues are frequently told that they just don't get it, and simply don't recognize that they have such problems with their phones.

No doubt this will piss off a number of posters here. So be it...not my intention. I just find it irritating to see the "issue police" bashing those who don't experience problems and insisting, in effect that they're just too ignorant to know how bad their current config and phone really are.

I'm all for research, experimentation, customization, tweaking. But it also helps if folks will respect other's perception and experiences, and base claims of "issues" and "better performance" on objectively demonstrable metrics, rather than folklore and condescending comments to those who disagree and actually enjoy their new purchases.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Haven't heard this issue mentioned before on the LG G2.

I have had the phone 2 weeks, 100+ apps, stock launcher (albeit only 3 screen filled), about 5 widgets loaded.

No lag at all, fastest smoothest Android I've ever used.
    Smart Screen causing this?

So I am one of those people who is super sensitive to micro stutter. It drives me absolutely crazy, so I was very disappointed when I got this phone and it stuttered. Today as I was waiting for a benchmark to complete I watched the "eye" come on several times for the "smart screen" setting to make sure I was still looking at the phone and I wondered how much CPU this took to run. I turned it off and to my surprise everything seems to be running much smoother. For those of you saying you have micro stutter, do you have this setting on, and if so, what happens when you turn it off?
    Why people got so pissed? Anything will lag eventually..
    The only thing that doesn't lag is reality..

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk now Free
    Recommending potentially dangerous solutions to strange noob's problems is bound to end in tears in some cases ;) And Paranoia btw can save lives.

Open the thread, check the feedback, Read the Disclaimers, understand the proposal, assess the pros vs. cons, make the choice, assume the risk, provide feedback, contribute, give thanks.

Welcome to xda :highfive: