[Q] VZW DEV 4.4 to 4.4.2 update failure opinion Question

Search This thread

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Hi all!

Just a quick synopsis. I've held off for a while. I've read just about everything related as it's come across here over the past few weeks.

I've been perfectly happy with where I sat:

VZW Dev Ed, Rooted, TWRP, xPosed, Tehter & Gravity Box modules.

I'm not fond of ADB commands, etc. but can work my way through them.

Today, I decided to to take a quick stab at things (a little differently).

So, here's what I did:

1) Unfroze some bloat
2) Unistalled xposed Framework
3) USED Flashify to backup my TWRP
4) USED Flashify to install stock recovery
5) Downloaded OTA
6) Installed 4.4.2 update
7) It FAILED

So, I restored my TWRP recovery through Flashify; re-installed xPosed Framework; refroze the bloat and I'm back to where I was before.

The only thing that I really think might have caused the update to fail was the fact that I had AOSP Browser installed. (with its related installer)

So, that's my question here....opinions...would that cause the update to fail?

I've since tried to uninstall that browser with the related installer but it keeps getting hung and force closes when trying.

Opinions? (other than..."please, use ADB commands")

I'm assuming flashing my system ui might take care of that?

Thanks for ideas. I know I'll take the time to get it done "proper". Just haven't been pressed to do it yet.

hlaalu

Nov 24, 2007
Unfreeze everything and make sure the tether hack is reversed. I believe it tells you where it failed in recovery when it's doing its thing. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm just going to wait until Moto releases the new image.

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Unfreeze everything and make sure the tether hack is reversed. I believe it tells you where it failed in recovery when it's doing its thing. I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm just going to wait until Moto releases the new image.

Well, it's the tether module (not the hack)...so uninstalling xPosed would take care of that I'd think.

When Moto releases the new image...what's your plan? Able to flash that without losing data, etc?

Roland Stone

Mar 12, 2010
Are you using the VZW specific stock recovery.img directly obtained from the Motorola website that you extracted yourself from the zip file you got there? I wouldn't necessarily trust any other stock recovery floating around.

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Did you run the xposed cleaner zip or just uninstall it? It easier to just flash the system and recovery images via mfastboot. It takes two seconds assuming you have the Sdk installed and Moto drivers installed.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

hlaalu

Nov 24, 2007
Well, it's the tether module (not the hack)...so uninstalling xPosed would take care of that I'd think.

When Moto releases the new image...what's your plan? Able to flash that without losing data, etc?

Hmm double check that it checks for subscription when tethering to make sure it changed the files back?

I'm a little rusty with fastboot, but it doesn't wipe your data unless you ask it to:

Code:
$ fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
$ fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
$ fastboot reboot-bootloader
$ fastboot flash logo logo.bin
$ fastboot flash boot boot.img
$ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
$ fastboot flash system system.img
$ fastboot erase modemst1
$ fastboot erase modemst2
$ fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
$ fastboot reboot

[B]$ fastboot erase userdata[/B]
$ fastboot erase cache

$ fastboot oem lock

So I think if you just don't do the fastboot erase userdata command your data is safe. I'll wait for someone with more experience to confirm that.

But even if that's not the case, I'll still wait because we have to fastboot for root and recovery anyways, might as well just do everything in one go.

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Did you run the xposed cleaner zip or just uninstall it? It easier to just flash the system and recovery images via mfastboot. It takes two seconds assuming you have the Sdk installed and Moto drivers installed.

I only used the Uninstall from within itself. Where is the cleaner zip? Might have to do a search.

Thanks!

DB's Nexus 7

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Are you using the VZW specific stock recovery.img directly obtained from the Motorola website that you extracted yourself from the zip file you got there? I wouldn't necessarily trust any other stock recovery floating around.

Nope, I didn't extract it myself. I'll have to do that to make sure I've got the "real deal".

Thanks!

DB's Nexus 7

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
Yes

Flashing the system and recovery images is still the most fail safe method. It doesn't erase your settings or data.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Easiest thing to do is fxz save data with HoM. If you don't have HoM set up you can modify the fxz XML. File to not erase user data and fxz. You should be able to update then. The fxz puts stock recovery back so you don't have to flash anything. Update install twrp root done.

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Easiest thing to do is fxz save data with HoM. If you don't have HoM set up you can modify the fxz XML. File to not erase user data and fxz. You should be able to update then. The fxz puts stock recovery back so you don't have to flash anything. Update install twrp root done.

So, fxz the 4.4.2 image for vzw 1060 through rsd lite? But remove "erase data" line from the xml file first. Then, TWRP recovery back (root). That about right?

I think the last thing I used rsd lite for was on old Droid X.

Any quick refresher would be appreciated.

Thanks!

DB's Moto X

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Yeah that is pretty much it. As far as what line to delete I'm not sure I use HoM it does it all autmatically. Only tips I can give you is don't use USB 3 it doesn't work with rsd only USB 2 if you plug in your phone and don't see it in rsd change USB port. Make sure debugging is checked.

Dburgessme2

Jan 3, 2012
Yeah that is pretty much it. As far as what line to delete I'm not sure I use HoM it does it all autmatically. Only tips I can give you is don't use USB 3 it doesn't work with rsd only USB 2 if you plug in your phone and don't see it in rsd change USB port. Make sure debugging is checked.

OK. And now I have to ask... What is HoM? (googled with no good results)

DB's Nexus 7