Is XT1053 a developer version?

Search This thread

x2h

Jun 22, 2007
I searched the forum but still can't figure it out. Could someone please give me a straight answer and thanks. :D

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2

dancingtortoise

Oct 16, 2009
Not necessarily. I have a 1053 and it's NOT a developer device. I think all t mobile variants are 1053.

Reactions: x2h

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Not necessarily. I have a 1053 and it's NOT a developer device. I think all t mobile variants are 1053.

Actually, the T-Mobile variant IS considered the GSM developer edition. It is SIM-Unlocked, and Bootloader-Unlockable

There are 2 developer editions:

GSM: T-mobile Variant XT1053

CDMA: Verizon Developer edition XT1060 (interestingly, the non-Dev edition is also XT1060)

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X

Last edited:

TheSaw

Dec 24, 2010
Cluj
Only difference between T-Mobile and Developer edition is that the Dev edition can be bootloader unlocked and rooted without losing the warranty. Hardware-wise it's the same.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
@x2h

As stated (although I don't trust the Wikipedia link as they get the supported frequencies wrong... and link to the wrong FCC docs for the wrong carriers as their references)..

The XT1053 describes two models... which are the same internally... (At least in the USA, I'm not sure about the rest of the world!)

GSM Developer Edition and the "GSM Unlocked (with T-Mobile SIM)"

The differences...

Developer Edition comes only as 32gig, black face, woven white back and silver accents (buttons and ring around camera), and says Developer Edition on the back. Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code, and it does NOT void the warranty.

The "GSM Unlocked" (as described on Moto Maker web site) can be fully customized via Moto Maker as 16 or 32gig and all the front, back and accent colors that are offered. While Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code, requesting the code *DOES* void the warranty.

The bands, features, functions, installed software, modems, ROMs, are exactly the same on both varients of the XT1053. When requesting the Dev Edition Rom from Motorola, the file name starts with TMO_RETAIL_XT1053....

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Actually, the T-Mobile variant IS considered the GSM developer edition. It is SIM-Unlocked, and Bootloader-Unlockable
Technically that is not correct.

The T-Mobile variant is actually the "GSM Unlocked (ships with T-Mobile SIM)" as described on the Moto Maker Website. Yes, it too is an XT053, and the internal hardware/specs are the same, but unlike the Dev Edition, you can customize its front/back/accent colors, get it as 16/32gb, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader voids the warranty.

(Dev Edition XT1053 is not customize-able, comes only as 32gig, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader *does not" void the warranty)

And the Dev Edition says "Developer Edition" on its back, where as the Non-Dev Editions do not.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

...CDMA: Verizon Developer edition XT1060 (interestingly, the non-Dev edition is also XT1060)
Correct.

Just as with the XT1053 Dev vs Non-Dev, the Dev and Non-Dev XT1060 models are the same internal hardware, use the same roms, radios, etc. However, requesting the Dev Ed XT1060 rom from Moto, the file name does not have VZW or Retail in it.

The differences being...

Non-Dev Edition, you can customize its front/back/accent colors, get it as 16/32gb, and Moto does NOT supply the bootloader unlock code.

Dev Edition for Verizon XT1060 is not customize-able (same black face, woven white back, silver accents), comes only as 32gig, and Moto DOES give out the bootloader unlock code for free on their web site, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader *does not" void the warranty. The Dev Edition XT1060 says "Developer Edition" on its back, where as the Retail and Moto Maker X for Verizon do not.

Last edited:

x2h

Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for all the quick answers. It is clear to me now.

AxlRose77

Feb 17, 2018
Thanks for all the quick answers. It is clear to me now.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I would like to buy a used T-Mobile variant and am struggling to tell them apart. So does this thread seem to imply that if it says "Developer Edition" on the back, then it's definitely not the T-Mobile variant? That is, if it doesn't say that on the back, and if the model number is XT1053, then it must be the T-Mobile variant? Also, if the phone is XT1053 and 16GB, then it must be the T-Mobile variant?

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

@x2h

As stated (although I don't trust the Wikipedia link as they get the supported frequencies wrong... and link to the wrong FCC docs for the wrong carriers as their references)..

The XT1053 describes two models... which are the same internally... (At least in the USA, I'm not sure about the rest of the world!)

The differences...

Developer Edition comes only as 32gig, black face, woven white back and silver accents (buttons and ring around camera), and says Developer Edition on the back. Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code, and it does NOT void the warranty.

The "GSM Unlocked" (as described on Moto Maker web site) can be fully customized via Moto Maker as 16 or 32gig and all the front, back and accent colors that are offered. While Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code, requesting the code *DOES* void the warranty.

The bands, features, functions, installed software, modems, ROMs, are exactly the same on both varients of the XT1053. When requesting the Dev Edition Rom from Motorola, the file name starts with TMO_RETAIL_XT1053....

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

The T-Mobile variant is actually the "GSM Unlocked (ships with T-Mobile SIM)" as described on the Moto Maker Website. Yes, it too is an XT053, and the internal hardware/specs are the same, but unlike the Dev Edition, you can customize its front/back/accent colors, get it as 16/32gb, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader voids the warranty.

(Dev Edition XT1053 is not customize-able, comes only as 32gig, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader *does not" void the warranty)

And the Dev Edition says "Developer Edition" on its back, where as the Non-Dev Editions do not.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Correct.

Just as with the XT1053 Dev vs Non-Dev, the Dev and Non-Dev XT1060 models are the same internal hardware, use the same roms, radios, etc. However, requesting the Dev Ed XT1060 rom from Moto, the file name does not have VZW or Retail in it.

The differences being...

Non-Dev Edition, you can customize its front/back/accent colors, get it as 16/32gb, and Moto does NOT supply the bootloader unlock code.

Dev Edition for Verizon XT1060 is not customize-able (same black face, woven white back, silver accents), comes only as 32gig, and Moto DOES give out the bootloader unlock code for free on their web site, and requesting the unlock code for the bootloader *does not" void the warranty. The Dev Edition XT1060 says "Developer Edition" on its back, where as the Retail and Moto Maker X for Verizon do not.

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I would like to buy a used T-Mobile variant and am struggling to tell them apart. So just to confirm: If it says "Developer Edition" on the back, then it's definitely not the T-Mobile variant? That is, if it doesn't say that on the back, and if the model number is XT1053, then it must be the T-Mobile variant? Also, if the phone is XT1053 and 16GB, then it must be the T-Mobile variant?

Thanks very much for your contribution to this thread!

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Hey, I'm in the same boat. I would like to buy a used T-Mobile variant and am struggling to tell them apart. So just to confirm: If it says "Developer Edition" on the back, then it's definitely not the T-Mobile variant? That is, if it doesn't say that on the back, and if the model number is XT1053, then it must be the T-Mobile variant? Also, if the phone is XT1053 and 16GB, then it must be the T-Mobile variant?

Thanks very much for your contribution to this thread!
GSM Developer Edition is an XT1053 that comes with 32 gig storage, black face, chrome trim, and white woven back that says Developer edition.

"GSM Unlocked (with T-Mobile SIM)" is an XT1053 that can come with EITHER 16gig or 32gig storage, black or white front, and various options for back and trim.

As for bands/frequencies, software, both of these XT1053 are the same. The only differences are the storage options and color options.

Keep in mind, both the GSM Dev Edition (XT1053) and the Dev Edition for Verizon (XT1060) "look" the same (black face with white woven back that says Dev Edition on it, silver trim). The XT1060 has CDMA/EVDO/LTE support for Verizon, so its missing a few of the bands T-Mobile and ATT would use.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @x2h

The differences...

...CDMA: Verizon Developer edition XT1060 (interestingly, the non-Dev edition is also XT1060)
    Correct.

The differences being...

I assume so, that's what I got. GSM Developer Edition.

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app

There are 2 developer editions:

GSM: T-mobile Variant XT1053

CDMA: Verizon Developer edition XT1060 (interestingly, the non-Dev edition is also XT1060)

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_X
    Only difference between T-Mobile and Developer edition is that the Dev edition can be bootloader unlocked and rooted without losing the warranty. Hardware-wise it's the same.