[Q] Non-carrier firmware vs carrier firmware

Search This thread

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Hello all,

I'm just wondering, do you guys notice or know of any real difference b/t the unlocked/non-carrier firmware that's out there and the carrier-specific firmware from T-Mobile for the M8? Is one considered better than the other?

Please share your thoughts with us!

Thank You,

RockStar2005

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Hello all,

I'm just wondering, do you guys notice or know of any real difference b/t the unlocked/non-carrier firmware that's out there and the carrier-specific firmware from T-Mobile for the M8? Is one considered better than the other?

Please share your thoughts with us!

Thank You,

RockStar2005

I know my experience with the M7 (yes i know its an M8 forum but still somewhat relevant) is Yes, the carrier firmware was better.
I had a Stock TMO branded M7. I did the full conversion to make it a GPe unit. It was nice but i had some signal issues. It was better with the TMO radios but ultimately i put it back to stock TMO and for me i got the best results like that.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
I know my experience with the M7 (yes i know its an M8 forum but still somewhat relevant) is Yes, the carrier firmware was better.
I had a Stock TMO branded M7. I did the full conversion to make it a GPe unit. It was nice but i had some signal issues. It was better with the TMO radios but ultimately i put it back to stock TMO and for me i got the best results like that.

No I think the M7 experience is definitely still relevant!

Ok, you're the first one so far here to say that. So the radios change based on the firmware? Why is that? I mean, why would the radios be affected by the firmware? Seems to me it'd be better to leave the radios alone and let them remain how they came.

My previous OTA was from T-Mobile, but in order to get updated ViperOne M8, I had to get the firmware for 2.22 and T-Mo wasn't deploying it. They apparently just approved it on the 18th, but as u prob read above, I'm not even sure if they've deployed it, and what it contains. I seem to have as much signal quality as before. I just wish they'd have VoLTE deployed for the M8s. That would be great.

RockStar2005

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
I have been with T-Mobile less then 2 years. Prior to that i was with sprint over 10 years. I got most of my "radio" experience flashing different radios for the Samsung GS2.
That device was super finikey when it came to radios. I also found at the time that 3 different network vendors set up most of the CDMA network in the USA for Sprint. So for me having a specific radio work well meant that same one might not work so well up north. Samsung was also known to not have very good hardware / antennas (when i say radios i am referring to the firmware for the specific device.) So while my devices hardware stayed the same Samsung was making software tweaks during each revision of software.

But to keep it simple, Yes, different versions of radios can work differently in each device. Thats even with stock radios. Then if you add stuff like a GPe radio to a stock unit, or what i had with my M7 using a GPe ROM with a TMO radio. It always pains me to see people who post about using carrier A phone unlocked with carrier B network. Those people will never get the most out of their hardware network wise because carrier B has worked with the manufacturer to make sure their device is created to be specific to their network. Sure an unlocked will work but not at 100% efficiency. It could be a hardware limitation, could be some software that is baked into the ROM to make it work better, or even as simple as TMO baking in WiFi calling with their network.
I mean look what happened to the Note 3 for TMO. Originally it shipped with LTE not even enabled. The hardware was there then BAM, with an OTA LTE was enabled. Flash forward to the last few months, 2 separate updates for VoLTE. Those are radios updates that are specific to the hardware in the Note 3. :)
Hopefully someone else can chime in as well. Id hate to think im the only one.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Six,

No you explained that rather well! My cousin has the Note 3 so I know what u said about the last part (on VoLTE) is def true. I wish HTC would hurry the F up and give us M8 ppl VoLTE. Would be nice. And make it available everywhere, not just major cities (it's avail in Chicago, but I live 25-30 min away).

I have a buddy who works for U.S. Cellular corporate, and he said the same thing. Unlocked phones, esp ones sold by one carrier but used on another's network, don't work AS well as when the phone is made for your carrier's network. International phones at least I believe work fine if released OFFICIALLY in the U.S. (i.e., Sony's Xperia Z2, which is ONLY avail that way in the U.S.), because they've been tested on ALL carrier networks/bands, but that's diff than using say a Sprint phone on T-Mobile's network, I believe. (Or using a phone that wasn't approved for all the major U.S. carriers.)

So far you're the only who seems pro-carrier firmware/OTAs, but that's ok. That's why I started this thread, so I can get all sides of the story. But if you read the previous posts, the other posters make a compelling argument that's pro-noncarrier. It sounds like in my situation I'm fine, b/c I'm pretty sure the int't M8 was tested on T-Mo's bands already. The firmware would just go along with that same data, so I don't think I'm having any loss of quality. Now if I carrier-unlocked my phone and tried it on Sprint or Verizon, or even AT&T......... then I would expect a loss of quality at some level.

Thanks,

RockStar2005

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Agreed. I see merits in both custom roms, stock roms, GPe Roms and Cyanogen.
Back in the GS2 days i was a big fan of using some of those custom ROMS guys would cook up. It fixed a lot of issues with Android.
But for ME, since 4.2.2 and up, i have been happy with stock ROMs.
In fact i almost always ran custom roms on my older devices and only recently started to leave them stock.
The last thing was when TMO gave me 3 GB free tethering, that was the last thing i might have rooted for.
My note 3 is stock, my M8 is still stock. and my back up M7 is stock (after putting GPe on it for a few weeks and testing stuff out).
I for one use my M8 as my daily phone and my Note 3 as my back up / game device.
For example, today at lunch i had local news streaming on my M8 while my Note 3 was tethered to my M8. On my Note 3 i was playing a few games while i waited for my food then answered a few emails and chatted with a friend on Hangouts.

With TMOs recent 4.4.3 update my M8 seems to run better then before and i feel im getting better battery life out of it.
Cant wait for my Note 3 to get 4.4.3 or 4.4.4. Also really looking forward to Android L on both of the units.

The way i look at it is what are YOUR pros and cons. LOL.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Agreed. I see merits in both custom roms, stock roms, GPe Roms and Cyanogen.
Back in the GS2 days i was a big fan of using some of those custom ROMS guys would cook up. It fixed a lot of issues with Android.
But for ME, since 4.2.2 and up, i have been happy with stock ROMs.
In fact i almost always ran custom roms on my older devices and only recently started to leave them stock.
The last thing was when TMO gave me 3 GB free tethering, that was the last thing i might have rooted for.
My note 3 is stock, my M8 is still stock. and my back up M7 is stock (after putting GPe on it for a few weeks and testing stuff out).
I for one use my M8 as my daily phone and my Note 3 as my back up / game device.
For example, today at lunch i had local news streaming on my M8 while my Note 3 was tethered to my M8. On my Note 3 i was playing a few games while i waited for my food then answered a few emails and chatted with a friend on Hangouts.

With TMOs recent 4.4.3 update my M8 seems to run better then before and i feel im getting better battery life out of it.
Cant wait for my Note 3 to get 4.4.3 or 4.4.4. Also really looking forward to Android L on both of the units.

The way i look at it is what are YOUR pros and cons. LOL.

My "pros and cons" list involves having all pros and NO cons! lol

I think I'll prob just wait for the T-Mo OTAs from now on, but then again, b/c I have ViperOne, I won't know when they get deployed unless I constantly revert back to stock. Ughh! I guess so far I haven't really noticed a difference in signal and call quality since installing a non-carrier firmware, though it's only been like not even 2 weeks yet since I did it.

That's cool though that you're so happy with it. Perhaps your posts are an indication that T-Mobile has gotten better with their overall quality, and so that's something to look forward to for when I do go back to stock (whenever that is lol).

Thank You,

RockStar2005

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
Most people make a big deal about carrier OTAs. So you really dont need to revert back to check for them. As long as your active on the boards you will know when a device gets an OTA.

I failed to mention that part of why im happy with stock is because devices are now getting to the point where they are so fast that having bloat ware on them doesnt noticeably slow down the devices like they used to. At least i dont notice it. Pluse with 4.2.2 they allow you to "disable" most apps you dont want to use. So thats another plus.
Back in the day i used to root and do the custom ROM for extra battery life, or tethering, or to make the device snappier.

I honestly would have thought that someone else might have chimed in by now and added their 2 cents.

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Most people make a big deal about carrier OTAs. So you really dont need to revert back to check for them. As long as your active on the boards you will know when a device gets an OTA.

I failed to mention that part of why im happy with stock is because devices are now getting to the point where they are so fast that having bloat ware on them doesnt noticeably slow down the devices like they used to. At least i dont notice it. Pluse with 4.2.2 they allow you to "disable" most apps you dont want to use. So thats another plus.
Back in the day i used to root and do the custom ROM for extra battery life, or tethering, or to make the device snappier.

I honestly would have thought that someone else might have chimed in by now and added their 2 cents.

Six,

Yeah, that's true. Or I can check on T-Mobile's update site, though there may still be some delay b/c of how they deploy OTAs: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10366

I've noticed that too, and before I got ViperOne and also Titanium Backup, I was disabling several apps too. Though I prefer to just uninstall them.

RockStar2005

RockStar2005

May 22, 2014
Six,

I talked to one of the ppl at Team Venom, and he said he has T-Mobile and recommends just taking T-Mobile's firmware updates for better cell reception. I'll do that from now on. But for now, if anyone is interested, I have here a link to the latest radio image file for the M8 (as of 8/27). Just download and "install flash" in TWRP.

And if you're rooted and want to get rid of the "red splash" screen during boot-up, try flashing the attached mod! :victory:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/beucjivbc4i9y3u/RadioUpdate_2.22.531.5_1.19.213311491.03G.zip

Thank You,

RockStar2005

Attachments

• TMO-2.22.531.5_NoRedText_hboot_MOD.zip
    481.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: IAmSixNine

rpalmerin

Mar 26, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
So... My question now.. I'm one of those buy vzw m8 take over to T-Mobile. I'm running viper 2.3. It runs great. But vzw never updated to newest firmware.so my question I guess is... Can I flash a T-Mobile radio or firmware to my vzw phone? I kinda know the answer, but I'd rather ask. So if I can.. that'll be great!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

IAmSixNine

Aug 24, 2010
Dallas
www.falkenmobile.com
I know on the M7 that would brick the unit.
The CDMA and GSM units had different hardware and flashing any GSM ROM into a CDMA unit bricked them.

I want to say the same holds for the M8.

Can someone else confirm that for me?

Reactions: rpalmerin

rpalmerin

Mar 26, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
The CDMA and GSM units had different hardware and flashing any GSM ROM into a CDMA unit bricked them.

Yeah thanks I kinda figured that, but you know it never hurts to ask, especially if it has the potential to maybe work out.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Then maybe would it be better for me when Verizon gets the ota for 4.4.3.... I should implement that, and then.... Redo my rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Six,

I talked to one of the ppl at Team Venom, and he said he has T-Mobile and recommends just taking T-Mobile's firmware updates for better cell reception. I'll do that from now on. But for now, if anyone is interested, I have here a link to the latest radio image file for the M8 (as of 8/27). Just download and "install flash" in TWRP.

And if you're rooted and want to get rid of the "red splash" screen during boot-up, try flashing the attached mod! :victory:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/beucjivbc4i9y3u/RadioUpdate_2.22.531.5_1.19.213311491.03G.zip

Thank You,

RockStar2005