Possible new way to ROOT

Search This thread

-=HOLLYW00D=-

Aug 16, 2010
Austin, TX
unfortunately, it doesn't work. =( can't execute "adb remount" when the script calls for it, but hopefully things will get ironed out soon.

***EDIT***

updated script worked!

Last edited:

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved To General

As the first post is just a link and contains no development, this has no place in this section​

Aug 23, 2011
www.pathogenstudios.com
I can confirm it worked!

I had to update first because the "Disable Battery Discharge" option was not there. (I guess my Tablet stopped getting OTA updates since I was on ThinkPadTablet_A310_02_0024_0065_US... Also, you have to update one at a time, you can't go from 24_65 straight to 37_75. Also, I stopped at 39_86 since I was impatient.)

I like this once since we can see how it worked rather than blindly running some guys program (I never tried the first root.)

catki

Feb 8, 2012
I can also confirm the new method to be working. Just rooted my 0089_WE TPT. Works like a charm :)

opdecirkel

Feb 24, 2012
I am quoting the following post (i don't have privilege to post there): xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23902281&postcount=64

I unrooted and then updated, now I can't root. I updated the SDK and made sure I have the proper drivers needed. So I take back my easy comment. I'll keep trying I might just manually push the files back.

How did it fail? At which stage and what error did you get?

daswahnsinn

May 24, 2010
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 5
Okay, I'll try and flash the oldest update zip, and it fails as it should, then I wipe the cache part, reboot, and I hit enter when I gets to the unlock screen then the CMD window closes.

EDIT: I spent a good hour or so combing through my PC and these forums and tried both methods a lot, and this one finally worked. It wouldn't let me get to the /cache/recovery/pwn/su part of the script. Thank you all for your support.

Last edited:

jmtopu

Mar 29, 2012
I have problems... :(

Hi all,

Apologizes for my english, too bad to discuss this kind of issues. Sorry in advance. :(

I had the "fantastic" idea to update the firmware some weeks ago, when I was SU. After this, I've lost most of capabilities! :mad:

I tried to follow the procedure, but I cannot reach 'root' in any case. I have version WE089. Downloaded US060, but there's only 065 for Western Europe. I got both, just in case..

Unfortunately, in the first step it failed I'm not able to update anything. The process crashes when is loading old firmware, either US060 or WE065.

I've realised that during the process I loose the USB link connection (when I reboot), and the system tries to install again and again the driver. If the TPT is running in recovery mode, it seems that is not connected via USB... If I have the tablet in "normal use", I see it through the Windows Desktop.

Other question: should I disconnect the Internet connection?

I guess other requirements are right (ADBD, debugging mode,...). It's really annoying, it took me a lot of hours and I haven't found any solution.

Can anybody help me? What I'm doing wrong?
Cheers!
jm

W7 64bits - TPT WE089

-Neos-

Jul 30, 2011
Nbg, BAY
What do you mean with loosing the connection? Is the adb driver installed correctly? Where did you get it from? Is it an genuine lenovo driver? If so, than you shouldn't worry!
Perhabs it's the MTP driver, that is missing when you boot into recovery? If it's the adb driver, than you should try jlove's method.

In addition I wanted to inform you, that the new method worked for me, too! Even with some complications... by this way, thanks again to opdecirkel!
Because the run.bat script did't worked correctly, I had to do it manually. So I put the "yareftpt" on C:\\, started cmd.exe, booted the TPT into recovery and changed the directory in cmd.exe with "cd.." to "cd yareftpt" ...followed the instructions with the update...
echo 4. Reboot in RECOVERY: (shutdown the tablet, then start it and press volume + few times until it starts in recovery)
echo 5. Go to apply update, select the update from the sdcard and try to apply it. It will fail, but that is OK.
echo 5. Then, go to 'WIPE CACHE PARTITION' and select it (navigate with volume buttons and select it with power button),
echo 6. When wipe cache complete, press (here) ^<ENTER^>.

and after that I copied the first line of the script into cmd and executed. I did it line after line, just to the next step. (dark green= copy line after line, paste and execute)
adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /data/local/pwn"
adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /data/local/pwn-bak"
adb shell "/system/bin/cat /system/etc/install-recovery.sh > /data/local/pwn-bak/install-recovery.sh.orig"

adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /cache/recovery/pwn"
adb push su /cache/recovery/pwn

adb shell "/system/bin/rm /cache/recovery/log"
adb shell "/system/bin/ln -s /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /cache/recovery/log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 777 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/mount -oremount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 777 /cache/recovery\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chown root /cache/recovery/pwn/su\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 4777 /cache/recovery/pwn/su\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"

echo 7. On the device, go to 'DISABLE BATTERY DISCHARGE' and select it. When complete press (here) ^<ENTER^>
pause

some of commands might cause failures, but don't worry and just go on ;)
echo 8. On the device, select REBOOT. When startup COMPLETE press (here) ^<ENTER^>
pause

adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/pwn/Superuser.apk
adb push busybox /data/local/pwn/busybox
adb push su /data/local/pwn/su
adb push pwn-in.sh /data/local/pwn/pwn-in.sh
adb shell "/system/bin/chmod 777 /data/local/pwn/pwn-in.sh"

echo Your PC command prompt appears next. Do the following things:
echo 1. adb shell
echo when '$' (adb shell) appear, do:
echo 2. /cache/recovery/pwn/su
echo when '#' appears. You are root. run the following:
echo 3. /data/local/pwn/pwn-in.sh

now you should try if you have su, even if you don't see in your app list..
download root checker, install, open and try it!
You should have root right now.
In my case, i had root, but no CWM!
So I had to install in manually, but with root it should't be a problem. you only have to download the correct cwm version:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21916505&postcount=71

then I installed it with the Android Terminal Emulator app, because the cmd.exe method did't worked for me. You should just follow the instructions:
or you can copy img file on /data/local/ folder of your tablet (with a file manager with root permissions)
launch "Android Terminal Emulator" application
and tape the instructions
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
dd if=/data/local/NameOfCWMFile.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

http://www.thinkpadtabletforums.com...nd-development/clockworkmod-recovery-for-tpt/

After a shutdown and reboot into recovery I had cwm! So I am able to do nandroid backups...

In this way, I would particularly like to thank to all devs that made the TPT root possible! Now i like my TPT 1000% more than before...e.g. no status-bar in lecture notes -> sooo great!!

Reactions: BuddaBelly

jlove

I do get the following error maybe someone can help me out

[*]
[*]
[*]
/system/bin/mkdir: not found
cannot create /data/local/pwn-bak/install-recovery.sh.orig: directory nonexisten
t
699 KB/s (22364 bytes in 0.031s)
/system/bin/rm: not found
/system/bin/ln: not found
7. On the device, go to 'DISABLE BATTERY DISCHARGE' and select it. When complete
press (here) <ENTER>
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .

it cant find the mkdir command very strange

-Neos-

Jul 30, 2011
Nbg, BAY
and you load the update zip and wiped cache before typing the commands, right? You have to do this every time you try to root...

Try to do it with another method. Don't do it directly trough adb shell...just type the shell commands in the cmd.exe
You just have to chance the directory in cmd, before executing the commands.
Then try not to input 'adb shell' before the shortened command, but the whole command as one line like:
Perhabs it will work..?!?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New possible root method on Thinkpad tablet forums, by OPDECIRKEL. He needs help testing it out.

look here and lets cross our fingers =D

http://www.thinkpadtabletforums.com...nt/yareftpt-yet-another-root-exploit-for-tpt/
    What do you mean with loosing the connection? Is the adb driver installed correctly? Where did you get it from? Is it an genuine lenovo driver? If so, than you shouldn't worry!
    Perhabs it's the MTP driver, that is missing when you boot into recovery? If it's the adb driver, than you should try jlove's method.

In addition I wanted to inform you, that the new method worked for me, too! Even with some complications... by this way, thanks again to opdecirkel!
    Because the run.bat script did't worked correctly, I had to do it manually. So I put the "yareftpt" on C:\\, started cmd.exe, booted the TPT into recovery and changed the directory in cmd.exe with "cd.." to "cd yareftpt" ...followed the instructions with the update...
    echo 4. Reboot in RECOVERY: (shutdown the tablet, then start it and press volume + few times until it starts in recovery)
    echo 5. Go to apply update, select the update from the sdcard and try to apply it. It will fail, but that is OK.
    echo 5. Then, go to 'WIPE CACHE PARTITION' and select it (navigate with volume buttons and select it with power button),
    echo 6. When wipe cache complete, press (here) ^<ENTER^>.

and after that I copied the first line of the script into cmd and executed. I did it line after line, just to the next step. (dark green= copy line after line, paste and execute)
    adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /data/local/pwn-bak"
    adb shell "/system/bin/cat /system/etc/install-recovery.sh > /data/local/pwn-bak/install-recovery.sh.orig"

adb shell "/system/bin/mkdir /cache/recovery/pwn"
    adb push su /cache/recovery/pwn

adb shell "/system/bin/ln -s /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /cache/recovery/log"
    adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
    adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/mount -oremount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /cache\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
    adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 777 /cache/recovery\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
    adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chown root /cache/recovery/pwn/su\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"
    adb shell "echo \"/system/bin/chmod 4777 /cache/recovery/pwn/su\" >> /tmp/recovery.log"

echo 7. On the device, go to 'DISABLE BATTERY DISCHARGE' and select it. When complete press (here) ^<ENTER^>
    pause

some of commands might cause failures, but don't worry and just go on ;)
    echo 8. On the device, select REBOOT. When startup COMPLETE press (here) ^<ENTER^>
    pause

adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/pwn/Superuser.apk
    adb push busybox /data/local/pwn/busybox
    adb push su /data/local/pwn/su
    adb push pwn-in.sh /data/local/pwn/pwn-in.sh
    adb shell "/system/bin/chmod 777 /data/local/pwn/pwn-in.sh"

echo Your PC command prompt appears next. Do the following things:
    echo 1. adb shell
    echo when '$' (adb shell) appear, do:
    echo 2. /cache/recovery/pwn/su
    echo when '#' appears. You are root. run the following:
    echo 3. /data/local/pwn/pwn-in.sh

now you should try if you have su, even if you don't see in your app list..
    download root checker, install, open and try it!
    You should have root right now.
    In my case, i had root, but no CWM!
    So I had to install in manually, but with root it should't be a problem. you only have to download the correct cwm version:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21916505&postcount=71

then I installed it with the Android Terminal Emulator app, because the cmd.exe method did't worked for me. You should just follow the instructions:
    or you can copy img file on /data/local/ folder of your tablet (with a file manager with root permissions)
    launch "Android Terminal Emulator" application
    and tape the instructions
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    echo "#!/system/bin/sh" > /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    dd if=/data/local/NameOfCWMFile.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1

http://www.thinkpadtabletforums.com...nd-development/clockworkmod-recovery-for-tpt/

After a shutdown and reboot into recovery I had cwm! So I am able to do nandroid backups...

In this way, I would particularly like to thank to all devs that made the TPT root possible! Now i like my TPT 1000% more than before...e.g. no status-bar in lecture notes -> sooo great!!
    yes, this file was garbage. reinstalled the firmware 089_ROW. root granted.
    but when I run pwn-in.sh on screen console = errors, is this normal?