desire hd gps signal strenght

Search This thread

hayabbusa

Aug 23, 2010
Frankfurt am Main
hi guys, i just dont know why my DHD gps signal is so weak. today i've been driving for 30 km and it could not connect to the satelites, all the way down it was "searching for gps". when i stop the car sometimes it finds the gps signal, but when i starting to drive, the signal drops down again. same problem with locations and google navigation. any ideas folks ?

misterzak

Sep 13, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Could be anything really, there are a lot of factors. If you're riding a hayabusa, it might not be able to keep up......!

Try a factory reset and see if it helps. I personally haven't had any issues.

Sent from my DHD

Patrock.nl

Nov 6, 2010
Overijssel
www.patrock.nl
what where the weather conditions? do you have heating in your front window? latest updates as to the locations of satellites? A-GPS option off?

any experience with other GPS devices in the car?

hayabbusa

Aug 23, 2010
Frankfurt am Main
Just did a factory restore. Still can't get gps signal to work.

Before the DHD I had a HTC desire and it had a perfect gps signal. Now I place my dhd in the same place and its just showing "searching for gps" all the time. Sometimes he catch up the signal, but it drops down very soon. Maybe there is any solutions how to fix it. Please help me people :)

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

mats-norway

Jul 28, 2010
Did you get any answer from HTC? I have also problems with the GPS-signals on my DHD. Have you checked your gps.conf file in the \etc\ directory?
My gps.conf file contains a NTP server line and it says North-America.pool.ntp.org. I think that this is what causes the slow GPS fix.
Your'e from Irland and I'm from Norway and be both should use the european NTP server. Anyone else may know something about this?

sm4100

Oct 25, 2010
I have the same frustrating problem, just bought my DHD full of expectation here in Dubai. I bought it new at Dubai Airport Duty free and it came with same problem, very poor (nearly zero) GPS reception. It also comes with NTP_Server file north america.pool

But I really believe there is something wrong with the hardware because when I contacted HTC and shortly explained the problem with the GPS reception they immediately ask me to return the product to the HTC technical center here for repair/replacement if necessary (mine is still under warranty). The fact that they so quickly advised me to return the device made me think this is a known problem for them but since their office is so far from my house I am still relutant to take my phone there (this is a nightmare for a brand new phone of 700 USD) I tried everything I could, factory reset, different rom's, all possible apps in the world!, anything you imagine including laying the phone on my backyard overnight with full 360g sky view + data and Wi-Fi connected but no success at all, just 3 or 4 sats on view with poor reception. My HD2 with WM6.5 and Android can fix signal using same apps in 5 sec. inside my room!!! my DHD takes hours for a very weak signal and it drops like anything. I will take my phone to service center this week, can't wait anymore for a web solution...what a hassle...

ukjeeper

Jun 3, 2008
Just finished Twitter chat with a mate of mine who could NOT pick a GPS signal on his DHD.
Until he took his rubber case off the phone!

:confused:

Strange but it worked.

NeitherJohn

Dec 31, 2010
Cork
Download GPS Status from the Market. There's an option there to clear the A-GPS state and download new data from the mobile network!

Try that before sending it back. My DHD took ages to get a fix when I first got it, but now it fixes in seconds once the A-GPS state has been updated.

jurasgd

Jan 11, 2006
I've had this problem with different gps devices in the past and my dhd as well. You just have to leave it exposed to the sky for long enough to acquire current satelite locations. Preferably stationary otherwise it won't. Another way is to update the list over the internet with gps status or similar. No hardware problem tho.

sm4100

Oct 25, 2010
Well.....as I said before....I tried GPS Test, GPS Status and many others. I have downloaded A-GPS quick fix info from the web, I have left the device exposed to open sky overnight and stationary, etc, etc, etc. No way to get a good signal, it always drop with any movement on the phone. I took my DHD this morning to the service center and a lady, supposedly technician tried to convince me for an hour that I have to leave 3G + Wi-Fi connected in order to use GPS. How comes the technical representative of HTC here in Dubai can be so stupid in telling me such rubbish.... anyways I was so pissed to see that she knew nothing about the phone neither GPS.... ok...story short.. I finally talked to her boss who very luckly had a DHD too. I took this guy outside the shop and showed him my DHD was searching for GPS signal forever and I did the same procedure in his phone in front of both of them. His DHD fixed signal in 5 sec. using Navi Premium, mine was still searching, ing, ing... The same guy called some other " HTC regional office" and someone told him that the version 1.32.405.6 (which is the one on my DHD) needs a ROM update because of language problems and very known problem with poor GPS reception however this ROM will be available only btw Feb/Mar. I was happy on one side to know that they acknowledged the problem, on the other hand we all have to wait 2 month for using the GPS. Whether this ROM in fact will solve the problem or not, this even they don't know, for now, useless GPS on my DHD and let's keep waiting. I am a bit skeptical about this ROM update since I have tried many different ROMs Stock and Custom even some of them with gps.conf europe.pool but no success, off course I didn't tell this to them otherwise I would void my warranty. My last chance is these new ROM release otherwise they will replace my GPS antenna or main board as far as they told me.

sm4100

Oct 25, 2010
I am 99% convinced it's hardware problem too but before they mess up with my device trying to replace GPS antenna I will give it a last try with this new ROM release. I know very well how these people work here in Dubai and the last thing I want is people oppening my DHD and soldering components etc. I d rather accept one factory refurbished than fixing mine with those unskilled people. I hope they at least change the whole thing inside instead of replacing micro components.

Stayfreeze

Apr 22, 2009
I found this?
It´s actually for the nexus one with the CyanogenMod 6 (http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/09/09/gps-fix-for-cyanogenmod-6-on-the-nexus-one/)...

Can someone try it and tell me if it work? I have the same problem but as I´am a new user of android , I´m a little bit affraid to do this...

* Take your SIM out of the Nexus One
* Power on the device
* Turn WiFi on
* Turn GPS on
* Open application: GPS Status
* Go into its Settings menu
* Click on GPS and Sensors
* Click Manage A-GPS state
* Click Reset
* Click Manage A-GPS state again
* Click Download
* Now put your phone on a stable, straight surface in order to enable the phone to get a lock. This time, you’ll see your phone get the lock back way faster than before.

With that done, now it’s time to put your SIM back in and use the network to secure a quick GPS fix as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same problem for me. I tried all the suggested software fixes. nothing worked. I just read that there could be an antenna issue on some phones. The antenna is located under the rear LEDs. I pushed on them outside whilst trying to get a fix. Suddenly I got an instant fix.