[Q] Problems with freezing and phone soft-resetting itself

Search This thread

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
Hey guys, I've been having this issue for a while now, but I've been deathly busy the last couple months so I haven't posted about it! :eek:

My issue is this: I've been having issues with the phone randomly freezing which results in the phone soft-resetting itself. I also have issues with apps randomly crashing. Occasionally, I will turn off the screen and when I try to turn it back on, it won't work and the phone will soft-reset. Another interesting thing I've noticed is that when I'm listening to music (stored on the SD card), sometimes I'll get distorted sound for a while. Usually, it fixes itself, but occasionally this leads to the phone soft-resetting. In general, since these symptoms started showing up, I've been dealing with stuttering and lag on my phone :(

Is there a possibility that my microSD card went bad? (could that even cause this kind of problem?) My card is kind of old, but I don't have any spare microSD cards to test

I'm currently using STS Rom on MK4, but this problem happened before I flashed that ROM. Before that, I was using Whompasaurus 4.2 (MA7)

Please let me know if you need me to do something to my phone!

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it :)

coolwater22

Jan 9, 2009
Hey guys, I've been having this issue for a while now, but I've been deathly busy the last couple months so I haven't posted about it! :eek:

My issue is this: I've been having issues with the phone randomly freezing which results in the phone soft-resetting itself. I also have issues with apps randomly crashing. Occasionally, I will turn off the screen and when I try to turn it back on, it won't work and the phone will soft-reset. Another interesting thing I've noticed is that when I'm listening to music (stored on the SD card), sometimes I'll get distorted sound for a while. Usually, it fixes itself, but occasionally this leads to the phone soft-resetting. In general, since these symptoms started showing up, I've been dealing with stuttering and lag on my phone :(

Is there a possibility that my microSD card went bad? (could that even cause this kind of problem?) My card is kind of old, but I don't have any spare microSD cards to test

I'm currently using STS Rom on MK4, but this problem happened before I flashed that ROM. Before that, I was using Whompasaurus 4.2 (MA7)

Please let me know if you need me to do something to my phone!

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it :)

I have the same problem. A d about your quesrion if the sdcard can be causing this freezing. The answer is yes. Try formatting both Internal and external memory. Put all your data to your comp and then format and see if that work's. I havent done it because my comp wont turn on :/.
Hopefully it helps

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
I have the same problem. A d about your quesrion if the sdcard can be causing this freezing. The answer is yes. Try formatting both Internal and external memory. Put all your data to your comp and then format and see if that work's. I havent done it because my comp wont turn on :/.
Hopefully it helps

Thanks for the reply!

I'm relieved that I'm not alone, but sorry to hear you're having the same issues. It's not fun at all :mad:

I've reformatted the memory before, but I'll try it again. I'll let you know how it goes!

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
so, a quick update. Unfortunately, after wiping everything, I'm still having issues, but it doesn't seem as bad. It might be a wonky flash though, so when I get some more time next week, I'll try flashing again.

I do have to get a new SD card for sure though. When I use that SD versus a backup one that I have, I get more crashes.

ArchangelRenzoku

Mar 16, 2011
Tacoma, WA
I had the same issues. Noticed it was happening whenever my signal was low - Wifi or mobile radios. It would just freeze for minutes at a time or soft reset. I couldn't get anything done! I ended up flashing different custom recoveries and wiping partitions and formatting system, data, cache, all storage, carrier and efs (after backups of course) I flashed the StockMC2 zip with flash counter reset and it seems my problem worked itself out. I thought it was a hardware issue for sure, but that seemed to get it working again. Even fixed my laggy home key issue.

I recommend being extremely-and-dangerously careful if you find you want to venture towards the efs or carrier partition meddling. Read up to the fullest and make sure you use backups.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
I had the same issues. Noticed it was happening whenever my signal was low - Wifi or mobile radios. It would just freeze for minutes at a time or soft reset. I couldn't get anything done! I ended up flashing different custom recoveries and wiping partitions and formatting system, data, cache, all storage, carrier and efs (after backups of course) I flashed the StockMC2 zip with flash counter reset and it seems my problem worked itself out. I thought it was a hardware issue for sure, but that seemed to get it working again. Even fixed my laggy home key issue.

I recommend being extremely-and-dangerously careful if you find you want to venture towards the efs or carrier partition meddling. Read up to the fullest and make sure you use backups.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it sometime and report back :)

flynhawn2002

Feb 24, 2012
To isolate the SD card issue try storing all your files to the internal and see how that goes first? If the problems persist then it could be the card?

When I ran Whomp it was very smooth, fast and stable (on multiple Note 2's). Could be a bad download? After clearing up the card issue I would recommend odin back to stock and start fresh again to see if the issues get fixed.

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
To isolate the SD card issue try storing all your files to the internal and see how that goes first? If the problems persist then it could be the card?

When I ran Whomp it was very smooth, fast and stable (on multiple Note 2's). Could be a bad download? After clearing up the card issue I would recommend odin back to stock and start fresh again to see if the issues get fixed.

Thanks for the reply,

I tried switching SD cards and I still had the issue, so I figure it's not the SD card. I had Whomp before, but I've tried a few different ROMs since then and I've had the issue with every rom, unfortunately :(

flynhawn2002

Feb 24, 2012
Have you tried ODIN back to a stock firmware and re-root? Since I flash a lot of roms too I normally (as a habbit) flash back to a completely stock firmware just to get misc files/junk/bugs/slowness if any, off my phone and this normally helps with whatever issue I was running in to. Hope this helps?

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
Sorry for the late response. Just a couple days ago I ODIN'ed back to stock, but unfortunately, the problem is still there :(

Sent from my SPH-L900

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
Is it possible a logcat would help? If I remember right, it's difficult to grab a logcat for sudden and random restarts, right?

Regardless, taking a look at a logcat app, it seems I do get a decent number of errors. I'll look into this a bit more when I get some more time after my current set of exams

Harjan112

Oct 16, 2011
Reactions: rwilco12

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
Give the Odin One-Click a try from @rwilco12 found here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591898 this is MK4 or you can try here @rwilco12 forum found here http://rwilco12.com/downloads.php?dir=Files/Devices/Samsung Galaxy Note II (SPH-L900)/Stock ROMs and pick and choose what version you want :)

Hoping this might help you :)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium

I tried using your method! The phone has frozen once in the first hour I've been toying with it, but I don't know if it's the same issue. Hopefully it'll work! I'll report back after using my phone for a while :)

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
Soooooo interesting thing that I found out. My data folder isn't actually being wiped in all this! I went to check it out and it turns out some app files in /data/data/ are still there even after ODIN, full wipes, etc.

Last edited:

Harjan112

Oct 16, 2011
Soooooo interesting thing that I found out. My data folder isn't actually being wiped in all this! I went to check it out and it turns out some app files in /data/data/ are still there even after ODIN, full wipes, etc.

Not to doubt your intelligence but merely just to make sure, which one-click version did you end up getting, because there are two (2) versions ... full restore and NoData restore Rooted and unrooted, I believe MK4 hasn't have rooted version and only full restore.

Have you tried a factory reset after one-click that should wipe it.

I used the MC2 full restore unrooted without any problems.

Reactions: chronostorm

chronostorm

Dec 4, 2008
Well, with the stuff that you linked, I used the MA7 full restore rooted. (Maybe I should try the MC2 full restore unrooted) But I've also ODIN'ed stock MC2 as well. I've wiped using factory reset from the settings menu as well as through Philz and TWRP making sure system and data were both selected. I wanted to avoid knox for now, so I used older versions.

Harjan112

Oct 16, 2011
Well, with the stuff that you linked, I used the MA7 full restore rooted. (Maybe I should try the MC2 full restore unrooted) But I've also ODIN'ed stock MC2 as well. I've wiped using factory reset from the settings menu as well as through Philz and TWRP making sure system and data were both selected. I wanted to avoid knox for now, so I used older versions.

Now come to think of it I might have actually done a format /system, format /cache, format /data and format /data and /data/media in philz under Mounts and Storage and rebooted into download mode and did the one-click MC2 Full Restore after that.

just make sure not to format the ext. SD card.

Give that a try.

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Now come to think of it I might have actually done a format /system, format /cache, format /data and format /data and /data/media in philz under Mounts and Storage and rebooted into download mode and did the one-click MC2 Full Restore after that.

just make sure not to format the ext. SD card.

Give that a try.

That is the best way to go about this. Stick with the stock unrooted MC2 with flash count reset via Odin. You can then use The Note 2 ToolKit to root etc. I'm thinking if your bootloader was updated via the MK4 with Knox, you should try to downgrade it back to the MC2 version. toolkit allows you to flash the older bootloaders.

Do this:

FIRST flash Phil's recovery version 6.07.9.
Then wipe everything except external sdcard. Next flash the stock unrooted MC2 with flash count reset
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2086769

Once you complete that, immediately do a rom restore from settings and verify you are on the MC2 modem and kernel.
Then use the Note 2 toolkit from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957155
At this point you need to flash the ALL IN ONE boot image, root &,recovery. I use the older version 2.0 of the ToolKit because it works best for my phone.

Once your rooted, etc. then reboot your phone into recovery and flash AGAIN Phil's recovery version 6.07.9
Then reboot recovery and once in Phil's recovery do all the wipes again and then flash the ROM of your choice.
You will also need to flash the correct modem for the ROM you flash. If you flash a JellyBean/MK4 ROM, you need to flash the MK4 modem. ROMS will have the kernel built in but if your flashing a TW ROM double check the kernel date and it doesn't hurt to reflash the stock MC2 or MK4 kernel because I have flashed a few stock TW ROMS that did not update the kernel so double check your kernel in settings-about phone.

This should get you back on track.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts