[GUIDE] Install Stock 2.3 (GB) Launcher over CM7

Search This thread

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry if this is in a bad spot, I just see this question ALL the time and I'm gonna make a good How-To in order to just link to it for all the questions that come up! (I'm going to cross-post in G2/DZ Q&A too).

When I started using CM7 nightlies, I loved the ROM, and I understand Cyanogen's reasoning for using an open source, versatile launcher like ADW, but I and many others prefer the look/feel/performance of the stock 2.3 launcher.

Installing the stock 2.3 Gingerbread launcher on CM7!

First off, props to frank707 from the Nexus S forums for this mod link. I suggest you go to the original thread and hit the Thanks button for his work.

You can find the mod here in the Nexus S forum: THREAD.

Download the first file in the thread and place on the root of your SD Card (not in any folder). This file is called "CM7GBStockLauncher.zip" (I've attached to this post for easy access as well).

Disclaimer: You'll lose all your homescreen placements and widgets you have set up with ADW launcher the first time you install this stock launcher.

1) Enter recovery. Hold down the power button in CM7 > Reboot > Recovery > Ok
2) In recovery, select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > select CM7GBStockLauncher.zip > scroll down with track-pad and hit YES.
3) You will see a progress bar and "ADW Launcher is now being uninstalled and replaced with the stock launcher"
4) When its complete select "reboot system now" in recovery, and get back to setting up your homescreens with the stock launcher.

And you're done! Enjoy your stock launcher and 3D app drawer!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Additional info for people updating CM7 Nightlies:

If you want to flash this over nightlies every day, you need to follow a specific order to not lose your placements again.
1) Flash CM7 nightly via recovery (not ROM manager)
2) After install, stay in recovery (don't boot up into the ROM!), go to Advanced > Reboot recovery
3) After recovery reboots, flash the launcher mod (follow above steps).
4) Reboot system, and you'll be greeted by your original homescreen placements that you had before the CM7 update.

Just in case you're lazy, I've attached the launcher file also.

Attachments

• CM7GBStockLauncher.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 1,837
Last edited by a moderator:

llontop.m

Nov 2, 2010
Fort Eustis, VA
thanks!

Wow I was just thinking about why CM7 doesn't have stock launcher and here I go finding your post. Thanks a lot man, and I'll give props due to the guy that ported it from the nexus s. Thanks a lot, I've been running stock android on my G2 simply because I love everything stock. Now i can jump back on CM7, sweet! :cool:

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow I was just thinking about why CM7 doesn't have stock launcher and here I go finding your post. Thanks a lot man, and I'll give props due to the guy that ported it from the nexus s. Thanks a lot, I've been running stock android on my G2 simply because I love everything stock. Now i can jump back on CM7, sweet! :cool:

Glad I could help.

cdue

May 18, 2010
Hi martonikaj,

Thanks for your post, I was just looking for a way to get the stock 3D app drawer on my Desire runningCM7 RC02 (I don't have the Desire Z, but the older one), but I have a problem and I don't know how to resolve it, so I would really appreciate if you could help.

I used Clockwork Recovery to install the zip from sdcard. And everything looked fine has it told me ADW was replaced by the stock launcher. But after my Desire rebooted ADW was still there :'(
So I looked at the logCat and here is what I saw :

E/PackageParser( 158): Package com.android.launcher has no certificates at entry classes.dex; ignoring!

I retried but the exact same thing happened...
I googled this error but didn't find the solution.

I also looked at my "system/app" folder, ADWLauncher.apk disapeared and now I can find Launcher2.apk, but if I click on it, I just get : "app not installed" (not shure for the message as my phone is in french).

So do you have any idea?
You or anybody else of course ;)

supermario12312

Aug 18, 2010
Hi martonikaj,

Thanks for your post, I was just looking for a way to get the stock 3D app drawer on my Desire runningCM7 RC02 (I don't have the Desire Z, but the older one), but I have a problem and I don't know how to resolve it, so I would really appreciate if you could help.

I used Clockwork Recovery to install the zip from sdcard. And everything looked fine has it told me ADW was replaced by the stock launcher. But after my Desire rebooted ADW was still there :'(
So I looked at the logCat and here is what I saw :

E/PackageParser( 158): Package com.android.launcher has no certificates at entry classes.dex; ignoring!

I retried but the exact same thing happened...
I googled this error but didn't find the solution.

I also looked at my "system/app" folder, ADWLauncher.apk disapeared and now I can find Launcher2.apk, but if I click on it, I just get : "app not installed" (not shure for the message as my phone is in french).

So do you have any idea?
You or anybody else of course ;)

Could be a bad download. Re-download and try again.

premiumg

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for the zip to install!

Although... not to nitpick, but didn't the stock launcher that came with the G2 have pinch to zoom out? (similar to Launcher Pro) or am I mistaken?

wattnxt

Apr 30, 2011
Ixonia
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! Although I like ADW, My friend does not. NOW she is enjoying the customization factor that rooting allows her but still having that familiar feel to her phone. Can't say thanks enough!
Jay
Sorry if this is in a bad spot, I just see this question ALL the time and I'm gonna make a good How-To in order to just link to it for all the questions that come up! (I'm going to cross-post in G2/DZ Q&A too).

When I started using CM7 nightlies, I loved the ROM, and I understand Cyanogen's reasoning for using an open source, versatile launcher like ADW, but I and many others prefer the look/feel/performance of the stock 2.3 launcher.

First off, props to frank707 from the Nexus S forums for this mod link. I suggest you go to the original thread and hit the Thanks button for his work.

Download the first file in the thread and place on the root of your SD Card (not in any folder). This file is called "CM7GBStockLauncher.zip" (I've attached to this post for easy access as well).

Disclaimer: You'll lose all your homescreen placements and widgets you have set up with ADW launcher the first time you install this stock launcher.

2) In recovery, select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > select CM7GBStockLauncher.zip > scroll down with track-pad and hit YES.
3) You will see a progress bar and "ADW Launcher is now being uninstalled and replaced with the stock launcher"
4) When its complete select "reboot system now" in recovery, and get back to setting up your homescreens with the stock launcher.

If you want to flash this over nightlies every day, you need to follow a specific order to not lose your placements again.
2) After install, stay in recovery (don't boot up into the ROM!), go to Advanced > Reboot recovery
4) Reboot system, and you'll be greeted by your original homescreen placements that you had before the CM7 update.

Last edited:

xsteven77x

Jul 2, 2010
Pittsburgh
Not to bump this thread.

But as a question about this, does this launcher allow 7 screens or just 5?

Not sure about this one but i know the true stock 2.3 launcher only allows 5.

And an easier way to do all this would be to google in market stock 2.3 launcher, install it, hit home button and select 2.3 launcher as default. Boom done.

Pretty sure if you use this method with nightlies your gonna have to do it again every single time you install a new one, whereas with my method it will stay through every install.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You sir are fantastic!

Aw, shucks. Glad to help.

Sent from my CM7-powered T-Mobile G2