Legit nfc app

Search This thread

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
This is legit a pretty dumb question.

NFC isn't for transferring large amounts of data, it's for low power transfer of near-field data. I doubt it will ever be used for any larger amount of data.

Anything that "uses NFC" to do transfers will be using Bluetooth or Wifi Direct. This includes "S Beam" on Samsung phones, docks (uses NFC to do the pair/connection), etc.

BigBison420

Feb 19, 2012
jacksonville
www.facebook.com
This is legit a pretty dumb question.

NFC isn't for transferring large amounts of data, it's for low power transfer of near-field data. I doubt it will ever be used for any larger amount of data.

Anything that "uses NFC" to do transfers will be using Bluetooth or Wifi Direct. This includes "S Beam" on Samsung phones, docks (uses NFC to do the pair/connection), etc.

So what you are saying is there is a HUGE.......... in fact, MONUMENTAL difference in size of a 128kbps 3 minute long MP3 (which is around 3-4MB) and a 2.5 MB picture with a resolution of 3264x2448 taken with our 8mp camera?

WOW! .............................alert the press! That's a Colossal difference in size!

chrstndsgnr

Jan 6, 2008
Omaha
No difference between the mp3 or picture since they both would transfer via Bluetooth or widi. Nfc is for small amounts of info, considering Nfc tags are in the range of only a few KB of storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

gmodprince

Aug 10, 2010
I have done extensive research on this very subject. Any file transfer dealing with NFC uses bluetooth, there's no way around it. With that said I recommend file expert. File expert is a file manager, backs up apps, also when sharing through NFC Bluetooth file transfer seems overall snappier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
NFC is not BT. From wikipedia:

NFC sets up more quickly than standard Bluetooth, but has a lower transfer rate than*Bluetooth low energy
. With NFC, instead of performing manual configurations to identify devices, the connection between two NFC devices is automatically established quickly: in less than a tenth of a second. The maximum data transfer rate of NFC (424 kbit/s) is slower than that of Bluetooth V2.1 (2.1 Mbit/s). With a maximum working distance of less than 20*cm, NFC has a shorter range, which reduces the likelihood of unwanted interception.*

hillg001

Aug 14, 2010
Nfc - bump - s beam
Over the past year of head scratching and speculation, folks seem to have a better handle on the distinctions. If two S3's or two Note 2's touch in order to xfer an 800mb movie - the xfer completes in just a couple minutes, right? That xfer rate is well beyond nfc AND bluetooth. The long & the short of it is - will the Note ever get a mod to "perform this way". See? I didn't make the mistake of saying the wrong magic word - enabling all the factoid folks to jump in there and say *that's not what it does ..." and then the question never gets answered ... so - to ask the question without mentioning the technology type ... will we i717 fans ever get to bump large files in the manner that newer Samsung devices do.

Last edited:

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
I know what you mean. When i see the S3 commercial the movie moves instantly from one phone to the other, and continues to play from the same place. It looks good, but its only television, you know.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky

BigBison420

Feb 19, 2012
jacksonville
www.facebook.com
Nfc - bump - s beam
Over the past year of head scratching and speculation, folks seem to have a better handle on the distinctions. If two S3's or two Note 2's touch in order to xfer an 800mb movie - the xfer completes in just a couple minutes, right? That xfer rate is well beyond nfc AND bluetooth. The long & the short of it is - will the Note ever get a mod to "perform this way". See? I didn't make the mistake of saying the wrong magic word - enabling all the factoid folks to jump in there and say *that's not what it does ..." and then the question never gets answered ... so - to ask the question without mentioning the technology type ... will we i717 fans ever get to bump large files in the manner that newer Samsung devices do.

That's where i was coming from with my original post. They make it look like a large file/movie can be transferred instantly.... Pretty misleading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

rangercaptain

Oct 27, 2010
West Coast of California
Well then, in that case, no.

The only way to send large files like the tv commercial (which is fake -- shocking!) by bumping, is to bump the other person as you pass the sd card to them.

All the "factoids" have been doing was attempting to tell you the truth. You don't get that from reality tv.

Last edited: