2A charger

Search This thread

paul_59

Feb 6, 2011
Last edited:

bob13bob

Apr 30, 2008
Whilst Brian Klug's review on anandtech is admirably thorough and does indeed state that Qualcomm's quick charge feature is not enabled, he doesn't report how he arrived at this conclusion, indeed I can see no measurement of charge current in mA with different power sources that would substantiate his assertion.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

He doesn't report it because it's obvious. There is data right there that had charge times with the one being the slowest. With that measurement and knowing the capacity of the battery, it's a simple calculation for charging rate.

We know different chargers charge the battery faster. This means higher mah.

Stick to stock charger for overnight charges. Fast charge only when you need.

Last edited:

paul_59

Feb 6, 2011
He doesn't report it because it's obvious. There is data right there that had charge times with the one being the slowest. With that measurement and knowing the capacity of the battery, it's a simple calculation for charging rate.

We know different chargers charge the battery faster. This means higher mah.

Stick to stock charger for overnight charges. Fast charge only when you need.
I am not certain that your points are correct.
The capacity of the battery is known, 2300mAH as you state, however the charging time doesn't lead to a simple calculation of charging rate as you suggest, since the charging current will vary. Charging current is not constant with li ion or li poly battery technology.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

I created a collection with HTC Share and I want to share it with you. Click the link below to check it out.
[url]https://share.htc.com/Q4i8w1Xh4[/url]
"Li ion charging courtesy battery universIty"

Last edited:

checksum123

Jan 27, 2012
Don't waste your time with these chargers, anything higher than 1A will not make a difference

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

bob13bob

Apr 30, 2008
They do make a difference according to reports here. But charging battery faster decreases it's lifespan. Stick with such If you have the time

craiglay

Feb 22, 2008
Just to throw something else into the mix. I'm pretty sure my Sony Vaio Z fast charges up to about 80% then slow charges to capacity which is supposed to prolong battery life.. The laptop is 3 years old and still has 3+ hours runtime.

I've only had my One for 2 days so haven't had a chance to play yet.

desiregeek

Jun 27, 2010
Those that tried the 2.0 or 2.1 AMP charger either via wall charger or battery bank. Did you see AC charging or USB charging after?

One Hype

Nov 27, 2008
So I'm planning to order a portable charger for my One and am debating between the Jacket mini or the Jacket Bar charger. I'm leaning toward the bar since I has double the mAh capacity, but I'm worried about the amperage. Since the One apparently doesn't support quick charge, how detrimental to the battery is using a 2A charger as a boost maybe a couple times a week? Probably won't be a daily thing. If the 2A charger will hurt battery life enough based on my planned use, I'll go with the mini 1A charger to be safe. Curious what you guys think?

num1wr82

Mar 12, 2009
Anyone here try a USB 3 mini cable for charging. Supposedly they offer up to 30% faster charge times.:confused:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5371

Moneymakingbull****. As far I know The only way to make an HTC charge faster over an USB cable is to modify the cable. this will only work with charging trough a PC.

The official car cradle has such a cable. The cable will not sent data trough but when connected to a PC it charges faster. The phone also recognizes it as a car dock.

Last edited:
Anyone here try a USB 3 mini cable for charging. Supposedly they offer up to 30% faster charge times.:confused:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5371

FYI, that's a MINI USB cable. You're looking for a MICRO USB cable. FWIW, you may want to shop for cables on monoprice.com, although they are currently back-ordered.

In general, a higher-quality cable with thicker wires = less resistance = better energy transfer, but IDK how much the fact that we're dealing with a micro USB connector will affect this.

Has anyone done any measurements with an iPad charger vs. the HTC charger? I'm going to run some tests, so if anyone has a recommendation as to a battery app that may help keep statistics, that would be great--probably need something to let me know what the battery charge profile looks like. I don't travel much on the weekdays, so I'll have lots of hours to let it sit to charge without interruption.

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
FYI, that's a MINI USB cable. You're looking for a MICRO USB cable. FWIW, you may want to shop for cables on monoprice.com, although they are currently back-ordered.

In general, a higher-quality cable with thicker wires = less resistance = better energy transfer, but IDK how much the fact that we're dealing with a micro USB connector will affect this.

Has anyone done any measurements with an iPad charger vs. the HTC charger? I'm going to run some tests, so if anyone has a recommendation as to a battery app that may help keep statistics, that would be great--probably need something to let me know what the battery charge profile looks like. I don't travel much on the weekdays, so I'll have lots of hours to let it sit to charge without interruption.

Battery Monitor Widget shows the amount of current incoming :)

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
to think about it i am sure there is a safety mechansim built into the phone /battery in the form of a "resistor"

. yes i can think u can use a 2A charger and it will charge faster but this is not true for all devices . some devices have a higher threshold like 2A built into them but their charger is come with only 1A. this is the choice of the phone manufacturer to protect the battery from wearing out faster by shipping the phone with a lower rated charger when it can actually take in like 2X with no problems.

because most chargers now are usb chargers and they use the same connections , the of course the phone manufacturer will be aware of this and will have some safety mechanism to prevent any electrical hazard resulting from using non compatible/original chargers. So there will be a Voltage or current limiter buult into the phone, but whats that limit is the question here

Last edited:

bob13bob

Apr 30, 2008
Yes, because show charging us better for the battery. Only use fast charges when you have u too

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
I used my note 2 charger and the phone got really hot

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

means that a higher rated charger is working...

but careful, u can charge maybe using this to a certain level like 50%

but dont let it go to 100%. switch to the original htc charger

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
As soon as i noticed it i gave the charger to my fiance as an extra for her S4

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

it doesnt get hot on stock htc charger.

i think tats the reason why htc included a 1 A charger.

2A charger is good to fast charge a few percentage points but not full. dont try to full charge with the 2A charger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    here's a source. HTC engineers decided to include the charger they did.

Wow, aren't you a helpful one. There is much more to the H/W selection than what the charging circuit is capable of... Chargers don't "force" a current on the battery. The charging circuit draws what it needs from a charger, assuming it can supply what is drawn. A well designed charging circuit will draw no more than what the battery is capable of without damage. The only factor is heat, which should be accounted for at a nominal level. If heat was't properly accounted for, or they short changed the charging circuit (like the charger) there could be an issue long term.

As an application side note, I had a 2 or 2.1A charger on my Atrix 4G for the 2+ years I owned it and still on the original battery that will last me an 18hr day. You don't do anyone favors talking about stuff you don't know anything about.
    I would not recommend using tablet chargers like that. Although it does speed up charging I think you might also wear out your battery quicker.

That's not right. The charging speed is limited by the battery and their charging managemend, not by the charger. If the battery management is configured at 1A it is charging with 1A even if you use a 2A charger.

If you can charge the HTC One with a bigger charger faster than it is not negative for the battery because it's allowed by the battery management. But I don't think, that it is really faster. I will test it for myself later with the 2A Charger from the ipad.
    Ok guys after reading the thread, I've realized that using a 2amp charger will charge my HTC one (m7) faster but at the same time reduce battery life.
    It is kinda bs for me.
    I own two M7's. Also a few chargers, from 1A up to 4A
    Max current M7 consumes during charge is 1A no matter which charger I use. It is defined by phone charging circuit not the charger.

The key is good cable. Stock usb cable is garbage.
    @1A load voltage drops from 5V to 4.53V and max current flow is 0.8A - that is a reason of slow charge.
    On "good" USB cable I have 4.95V and 1A constant.
    Mike
    I would not recommend using tablet chargers like that. Although it does speed up charging I think you might also wear out your battery quicker.

I do know where this is coming from but just isn't the case anymore. All batteries made for cells phones in the last 2 years have smart charging chips in them. Meaning they can not overcharge, charge too fast, or discharge too much. These batteries have tech built in that could charge them in about a hour. People think this was disabled to help prolong the life of the battery. This is also false. Fast charging does have a slightly negative effect but we are talking about 2% negative. So if the battery would have went through 2000 charge cycles normally than with a fast charge it would only last around 1180 charge cycles. It's a non difference. It is the reason people have been saying that the fast charge feature is disabled but they have no idea and it sounds good so the community here has decided it to be true.

Now technically it should not matter what amp charger we plug in as the phone should only take a certain amount. Now I know this is false as I also use the 2amp Touchpad charger and can confirm it does charge around 30% faster.
    There are different cables that can be purchased that essentially have just the positive and negative connections in use. This removes the control connections that allow the phone to regulate the amount of power so it allows the device to charge at a faster rate.

I have used these cables for years on many devices and have never had a problem but it is worth noting that I only use them sparingly and the vast majority of the time I use the standard chargers that come with the devices.

MG