[q] nvidia shield poor emulator performance

Search This thread

monster@8020

May 31, 2014
I have just purchased the NVIDIA SHIELD (running kitkat) I am very shocked and disappointed at the poor emulator performance as compared with the jxd s7800b.

I originally bought it maily for emulation however when running the NES.emu emulator purchased from Google play there is a lot of frame skips and poor performance. Things get even worse when setting the frame skip to 0, the shield just cannot cope, however this is not an issue on the jxd s7800b.

I would have imagined that since the shield is supposed to be more powerful, emulators would run without a hitch but obviously not even epse runs no better on the shield than it does on the jxd s7800b

Has anyone come across this issue? Is it possible that my shield is faulty (I am really thinking on returning the damn thing, waste of money)

Kite-G

Mar 4, 2013
Caguas
You should try downgrading to Jellybean. Maybe that could help? (If its possible even)

I don't have a shield, literally I'll be buying it today. I've seen videos of PPSSPP running perfectly fine on it, and if im not mistaking that emulator is more demanding than NES.
Also what antutu scores are you getting?

Sent from my Evo 3D CDMA using XDA Free mobile app

monster@8020

May 31, 2014
You should try downgrading to Jellybean. Maybe that could help? (If its possible even)

I don't have a shield, literally I'll be buying it today. I've seen videos of PPSSPP running perfectly fine on it, and if im not mistaking that emulator is more demanding than NES.
Also what antutu scores are you getting?

I got an antutu score of 38470, the shield should be able to handle the nes emulator without any issues (jsx s7800b which is inferior has no problems at all). going to try and see if I can put jelly bean back

Last edited:

Kite-G

Mar 4, 2013
Caguas
I got an antutu score of 38470, the should de able to handle the nes emulator without any issues (jsx s7800b which is inferior has no problems at all). going to try and see Iif I can put jelly bean back

Those benchmarks are fine, the average Shield scores. Well, just thinking, maybe you should tweak the emulator settings or the performance settings. But maybe its due to the KitKat update. If you do downgrade to jellybean, let me know how it runs afterwards.

uoykcuf86

May 24, 2010
Kit Kat is the problem, I can confirm this because im a user from the beginning of the Shields life cycle. i went through with the Kit Kat update and regretted it badly! not only are there slowdowns in emulation but some apps can no longer be moved or ran from SD. Downgrading is quite easy if you CWM installed though.

Reactions: Kite-G

monster@8020

May 31, 2014
Kit Kat is the problem, I can confirm this because im a user from the beginning of the Shields life cycle. i went through with the Kit Kat update and regretted it badly! not only are there slowdowns in emulation but some apps can no longer be moved or ran from SD. Downgrading is quite easy if you CWM installed though.

Yeah thanks I have now successfully downgraded back to Jelly Bean OTA 68. Following the steps below (very useful):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ield-kitkat-ota-77-poor-performance/?offset=2

The performance issues seems to have gone, additionally I have just performed an Antutu benchmark test i got a higher score of 3912 which is now higher when compared to KitKat where I got 38470 before. So it looks like KitKat is definitely having an impact on performance.

Last edited:

nex86

Nov 9, 2010
I'd downgrade if there is a way to run Half Life 2 or Portal on Jelly Bean.
But right now, I don't want to miss those games on Shield.

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
Is there a way to stop the shield from bugging me about updates? I have downgraded to Jelly Bean for this peformance reason but don't want to be bugged about updating or forced to update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.