Root de vega vs. kingo?

Search This thread

newr

Aug 30, 2011
Hi..sorry if this has been answered, but I don't see it on t-mobile.
I am planning to root my phone to run the regionlock (hopefully unlock sim). Getting confused with all the different methods available.
I don't want to trip Knox..was planning to use RDLV, but then read something about Kingo, but that wasn't listed as a method for rooting on the FAQ?
So what's the difference? Is one better than other? I also read that any installation of ROMs will trigger the knox? So if I rooted, how can I get to the newest firmware? Just unroot and update OTA?

smaisonville

Sep 10, 2011
If you are 4.3 you can root without tripping knox. I used RDLV I felt is was safer. XDA removed Kingo, it may not be safe. I know many have used it and are a big fan of Kingo. I did not like idea of some third party rooting my phone, they can do anything they choose to do. That is just my personal choice.

If you are 4.4.2 Kitkat, the rooting method available will trip Knox.

OTA, will not work automatically. You will need to use Odin. There are threads on how to all the above.

I am stock rooted 4.3, I have not jump on the Kitkat wagon yet. There are mixed reviews on moving to Kitkat.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

newr

Aug 30, 2011
If you are 4.3 you can root without tripping knox. I used RDLV I felt is was safer. XDA removed Kingo, it may not be safe. I know many have used it and are a big fan of Kingo. I did not like idea of some third party rooting my phone, they can do anything they choose to do. That is just my personal choice.

If you are 4.4.2 Kitkat, the rooting method available will trip Knox.

OTA, will not work automatically. You will need to use Odin. There are threads on how to all the above.

I am stock rooted 4.3, I have not jump on the Kitkat wagon yet. There are mixed reviews on moving to Kitkat.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks. if I stay rooted but want to move up to Kitkat but not use custom ROM, can I flash the offical firmware? And would that trigger KNOX? I read any flashing ROM will trigger it too? This is much more complicated...did this stuff a few years ago with HTC...now there's so much more stuff to consider :(

Thanks. if I stay rooted but want to move up to Kitkat but not use custom ROM, can I flash the offical firmware? And would that trigger KNOX? I read any flashing ROM will trigger it too? This is much more complicated...did this stuff a few years ago with HTC...now there's so much more stuff to consider :(

i think you can flash to 4.4.2 (KitKat) using odin mobile pro without triggering knox, at least that's what i've read on here that others have done successfully. if you want to upgrade you'll need to upgrade your bootloader too. keep in mind that once you do this, you can't revert or downgrade back to jellybean 4.3 or downgrade the bootloader (knox requires a signed bootloader to go with a signed official ROM, apparently).

personally if i were you i'd stay on jellybean 4.3 and use the root de la vega method. i'm a bit miffed mine came with 4.4.2 already on it.

i miss how easy it all was back on HTC too :( could root, flash recovery, ROM, kernel, and return to factory settings like new. *sigh*

newr

Aug 30, 2011
i think you can flash to 4.4.2 (KitKat) using odin mobile pro without triggering knox, at least that's what i've read on here that others have done successfully. if you want to upgrade you'll need to upgrade your bootloader too. keep in mind that once you do this, you can't revert or downgrade back to jellybean 4.3 or downgrade the bootloader (knox requires a signed bootloader to go with a signed official ROM, apparently).

personally if i were you i'd stay on jellybean 4.3 and use the root de la vega method. i'm a bit miffed mine came with 4.4.2 already on it.

i miss how easy it all was back on HTC too :( could root, flash recovery, ROM, kernel, and return to factory settings like new. *sigh*

Do you mean flashing 4.4.2 official rom which will become unroot again right? How about going to 4.4.2 and stay root with stock type ROM..not customized?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorettaa

Top Liked Posts