[Q] Device serial based on WiFi MAC address?

Search This thread

ritzxda

Jun 8, 2013
Hi guys, not sure if this is a silly question as I guess WiFi cards etc can be changed and what not. However, I've had my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet stolen. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the serial number so can't get it listed in the databases that Police/Pawn shops check here in New Zealand. I do have the WiFi MAC address from my router though. So my question is, is there a way to find the serial number based on this? Just trying my luck. Thanks.

ritzxda

Jun 8, 2013
Hi guys, not sure if this is a silly question as I guess WiFi cards etc can be changed and what not. However, I've had my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet stolen. Unfortunately I don't have a record of the serial number so can't get it listed in the databases that Police/Pawn shops check here in New Zealand. I do have the WiFi MAC address from my router though. So my question is, is there a way to find the serial number based on this? Just trying my luck. Thanks.

Sorry to bump but is there really no way? :(

ritzxda

Jun 8, 2013
You don't still have the box? As far as I can tell the mac address has never changed on any of my devices, even after flashing factory images or what not.

Thanks. No don't have the boxes. Just really want to somehow find out more info about the thieves really. Frustrated that I didn't have any protection software installed on them :( Lesson learnt I guess!

wantabe

Mar 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Thanks. No don't have the boxes. Just really want to somehow find out more info about the thieves really. Frustrated that I didn't have any protection software installed on them :( Lesson learnt I guess!
Of course you have protection software on your N7. Android Device Manager. Did you set it up? Don't knnow if there is any way to correlate the mac address to a serial number without contacting ASUS, if they would even be willing to do it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts