Which App to write with Direct Stylus 2.0

Search This thread

Hudrator

Hey Everybody ,

I want to use the shield Tablet for some Note taking during class / work.

So i am asking for some Apps you tested with Direct Stylus 2.0
Which work best with palm recognition ?
Maybe some advise for settings ?
At the moment l can only say that the Android Handwriting Detection is really not bad. Maybe good for longer texts in landscape mode

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
Honestly I could not use the stylus very well, the tip is too soft for me to use it to take notes...

Hudrator

Sad to hear mate.
I'm facing some problems with the palm recognition.
I hope Nvidia will enhance this feature in the near future. An dedicated writing App like Dabbler for drawing would be really nice

ugoff

Nov 24, 2007
When the stylus is removed, there should be an extra navbar icon on the left that disables touch input. I guess that would work to prevent unwanted inputs, just not automatically.

abnormaIity

Jul 21, 2014
Toronto
I dont mind the stock evernote, not that I frequently use it. I find it works pretty well. I agree with hairdewx the stylus is kinda soft to take notes with. I use it for drawing myself. Dabbler is friggin horrible but the App ArtFlow works amazing with the Tablet and the Stylus.

Reactions: thefiqs

Hudrator

When the stylus is removed, there should be an extra navbar icon on the left that disables touch input. I guess that would work to prevent unwanted inputs, just not automatically.

It helps but if you want to zoom in or out, moving the sheet you are writing on you cant use your Fingers.
It sometimes happens, that when I lift or move my palm, it is recognized as an touch input with the Stylus.
So there would be the chance to increase the rate of recognition. would really help me

dukehazard77

Feb 24, 2010
I think the most best app for I've found so far is Autodesk Sketchbook Express. Super fast, fluid and GREAT for note taking although still can't find ruled template but that might just be laziness on my part

Kirotan

Aug 9, 2011
Holland
I think the most best app for I've found so far is Autodesk Sketchbook Express. Super fast, fluid and GREAT for note taking although still can't find ruled template but that might just be laziness on my part
Autodesk Sketchbook has traditionally/historically been a programmed aimed at drawing/painting- so it's going to lack a ruled template, unless you decide to create one/scan one in, and use it as a layer underneath your drawing canvas.

dukehazard77

Feb 24, 2010
Autodesk Sketchbook has traditionally/historically been a programmed aimed at drawing/painting- so it's going to lack a ruled template, unless you decide to create one/scan one in, and use it as a layer underneath your drawing canvas.

Definitely but its recognition of stylus strokes is by far the fastest of any of the apps I've used, including NVIDIA's. That was the appeal. But I do get your point :)

jtflynnz

Jun 4, 2014
I can't speak specifically to the stylus, but when I have used normal capacitive styli, the main app I have used is LectureNotes by Acadoid. It's a fantastic note-taking app, and even if you can't finagle it to work exactly like you would think a Galaxy Note would, it has a lot of customization that you can make to the program so that it better fits your needs. There's a free trial version if you want to give it a try, but I use the full version and feel that it is worth the money.

Again, not sure how well it interacts with apps that are not in the default installed software package (I'm hoping fine though, I'm switching to one in the coming weeks!), however I do know that the app itself has some settings for heuristic palm rejection, and that there are different settings like that you could fiddle around with.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: DanielKrause

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone actually test lecture notes with the shield? How is the accuracy and speed + palm rejection?

for that mater any other recommendations?

dukehazard77

Feb 24, 2010
Anyone actually test lecture notes with the shield? How is the accuracy and speed + palm rejection?

for that mater any other recommendations?

Since my previous comment I had the opportunity to use LectureNotes and it is by far the fastest of the apps for stylus recognition...even beating sketchbook.. Very useful and comprehensive app. Highly recommended!

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
So it works well with lecture notes? As in functional as a note taking tool? ( ie above average accuracy, palm rejection etc)

Xarrdroid

Jul 18, 2010
Papyrus

Papyrus is what i use on my note 3 and my note 10.1 exynos edition.

Works awesome but haven't tried on my shield yet.

If it works, i use all that are mentioned above as well, but for ease of use and cloud integration between devices, and simplicity, i think it is the best.

Will see if i can test later.

Xarr

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Anyone tried OneNote with this tablet? (note taking part, possible?)

JadeJitsu

Jan 7, 2013
Vienna
I personally prefer Fiinotes or Handrite Notes for note taking. I've found these to work very well for note taking and recording meeting minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoX
I got the Nvidia Shield with half the purpose of taking notes during class and I found just the app for it. It's LectureNotes (here's the playstore link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acadoid.lecturenotes) It is a paid app sadly, there's a trial though for you to check it out. You can backup your notes, create separate notebooks for each class or something, you can export them to PDFs, input typed text if you like, pictures, crop them as you like etc. There's really anything you might consider needing, there's options for stylus and for using your fingers at the same time (like recognize the finger as an eraser while the stylus as a pen etc. It's somewhat messy in the settings section, it has far too many so you'll have to play around and see what suits you, it wouldn't do you much good if I gave suggestions of what I use probably, although I can take screenshots if you'd like. Check it out, it has also some extensions for audio recordings (sounds useful) or video recordings (not so useful for me at least), but since you pay extra for them I haven't tried neither.

Best of luck! Hope you like it, it really did the trick for me.

Reactions: DeBoX

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I dont mind the stock evernote, not that I frequently use it. I find it works pretty well. I agree with hairdewx the stylus is kinda soft to take notes with. I use it for drawing myself. Dabbler is friggin horrible but the App ArtFlow works amazing with the Tablet and the Stylus.
    Stylus only mode > "Write" app

Works great for note taking. I use it daily at work for meetings.
    I can't speak specifically to the stylus, but when I have used normal capacitive styli, the main app I have used is LectureNotes by Acadoid. It's a fantastic note-taking app, and even if you can't finagle it to work exactly like you would think a Galaxy Note would, it has a lot of customization that you can make to the program so that it better fits your needs. There's a free trial version if you want to give it a try, but I use the full version and feel that it is worth the money.

Again, not sure how well it interacts with apps that are not in the default installed software package (I'm hoping fine though, I'm switching to one in the coming weeks!), however I do know that the app itself has some settings for heuristic palm rejection, and that there are different settings like that you could fiddle around with.

Hope that helps!
    I personally prefer Fiinotes or Handrite Notes for note taking. I've found these to work very well for note taking and recording meeting minutes.
    I got the Nvidia Shield with half the purpose of taking notes during class and I found just the app for it. It's LectureNotes (here's the playstore link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acadoid.lecturenotes) It is a paid app sadly, there's a trial though for you to check it out. You can backup your notes, create separate notebooks for each class or something, you can export them to PDFs, input typed text if you like, pictures, crop them as you like etc. There's really anything you might consider needing, there's options for stylus and for using your fingers at the same time (like recognize the finger as an eraser while the stylus as a pen etc. It's somewhat messy in the settings section, it has far too many so you'll have to play around and see what suits you, it wouldn't do you much good if I gave suggestions of what I use probably, although I can take screenshots if you'd like. Check it out, it has also some extensions for audio recordings (sounds useful) or video recordings (not so useful for me at least), but since you pay extra for them I haven't tried neither.

Best of luck! Hope you like it, it really did the trick for me.