HTC Incredible Root Thread...Updated 05/31/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Gimpeh

Feb 25, 2009
Springfield
Which is why I'm getting the best buy maintenance program. They have no deductible and you can change your phone out as often as you like. :). Walk in get another one and leave. I do believe that they will start using refurbs when they become available if they have them at the store you visit.

How much is this program?

polo2883

Apr 11, 2007
Which is why I'm getting the best buy maintenance program. They have no deductible and you can change your phone out as often as you like. :). Walk in get another one and leave. I do believe that they will start using refurbs when they become available if they have them at the store you visit.

I have read horror stories about their insurance. It seems like they want to always ship our phone off for repair and that could take days to weeks. With Verizon they just ship you another phone and you ship the old one back

elpeterson

May 2, 2009
will help

i will be picking it up on the 29th. Definitely not an experienced developer but will gladly test anything you guys throw into the forums

srleadjb

Oct 7, 2008
Forgive my ignorance but will this root enable the use of tethering via barnacle app as I have on the Motorola droid now? This is all I'm waiting for before switching to this phone?

srleadjb

Oct 7, 2008
Check first post for helpful links to your question :)

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I know root will give access to tethering but in this case he mentions that he has root but that HTC presents additional challenges. My question is then, are we good to go at this point for general root access and tethering (assuming it's the same on the Incredible) or are we still having to wait for this additional work? Thanks!

acidbath5546

Feb 17, 2009
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I know root will give access to tethering but in this case he mentions that he has root but that HTC presents additional challenges. My question is then, are we good to go at this point for general root access and tethering (assuming it's the same on the Incredible) or are we still having to wait for this additional work? Thanks!

Not a problem...
In laymans terms...he has achieved Root acsess and still has to be able to jump a few much easier hurdles to make it work...
In essence the hard part is done...
And yestethering will be an option when Root is completely achieved...
And all othe apps and stles depend on the ROM you put on a Rooted phone...
Lots of Devs, myself included will have different ROMs for you to choose from when the time comes...
i will get a simple Tutorial/FAQ up here as well...

kcasner

Feb 16, 2010
Ok smart a$$, why don't you read my post completely to start with? I said the built-in tether option. I'll root and add wifi tether when the time comes.

I want to know if the built-in, out of the box, stock ROM, straight from Verizon, tether option works..

Hmm, so you saw videos of the unreleased phone that had the feature, and the post RIGHT before yours said it will work once root is achieved...

What does that tell the stray animal...?

Yes, the people that walk you, read your post and understood that you were referring to a built in feature on a phone that currently only has one rom... the stock one genius.

Now go home, and stop cluttering the dev root thread with your general questions. There's a search feature and a correct forum for that, stray animal.

Last edited:

syrguy1969

Jan 17, 2007
If it helps anyone, this was just posted over @ Android Central Forums:

Hey just to let you guys know, I got my Incredible yesterday and when I plugged it into my computer it gave me a option to "share my mobile network with my pc"... So i tried it and it is working just like pdanet worked on my friends motorola droid... And it is just going onto my unlimited data plan when I check my usage so you shouldnt have to pay anything else for data charges... Its suprisingly fast too! 1.5mbs upload and download speeds...

Btw just switched from the vzw Palm Pre Plus and was using the free mobile hotspot... sooooooooooo slow! Was still kinda nice to have though...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/86642-post29.html

P.S. Rooting guide officially up for the Desire...I bet we see the Incredible's by the end of the week!!!:

http://android.modaco.com/content/h...om/307365/28-apr-r1-htc-desire-rooting-guide/

Last edited:

kcasner

Feb 16, 2010
If it helps anyone, this was just posted over @ Android Central Forums:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/86642-post29.html

P.S. Rooting guide officially up for the Desire...I bet we see the Incredible's by the end of the week!!!:

http://android.modaco.com/content/h...om/307365/28-apr-r1-htc-desire-rooting-guide/

I sure hope so. I'm getting mine around the 15th, can't wait.

edit:

Read the tutorial; no recovery image support yet, scary. Also with that method, we'll more than likley need the image he uses to be one for the incredible. I would not try this on the incredible just yet.

Last edited:

Honestly77

Dec 10, 2007
I'm sure paul will help in the rooting effotts for the incredible BUT him not having access to CDMA networks means he doesn't have access to one. Sooo...the phone are different and this ones designed for hboot 75 so if the incredible has a different hboot we are definately waiting longer.

bmcclure937

Oct 27, 2009
Ohio
Looking forward to following the progress on the Incredible "root" efforts ;)

Good news that people are already hard at work. Paul's work on the Desire will surely be valuable, but it is disheartening that he has been unable to write to the recovery partition as of right now. The thought of having a rooted device without access to custom recovery images frightens me (as far as maintenance goes)!

I am planning to switch from TMobile to Verizon in the upcoming months and the Droid Incredible seems to be the most promising candidate for a top-tier, rooted, HTC Android device. I will be moving from the Nexus One and am glad that the devices will be similar. Hopefully there will be a nice port of CyanogenMod ROM for the Incredible!! ;)

Keep up the great work devs! I am anxious to hear what happens in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.