Fast Drainage of battery?

Search This thread

crewster

Dec 14, 2012
A factory reset didn't solve the crazy battery drain over night in airplane mode. Maybe should i ask for a replacement? This is freaking me out :S

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

if0rg0t

Jul 28, 2011
A replacement phone probably won't help you out. I got my phone replaced and the new one behaves the same way...

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

crewster

Dec 14, 2012
So the solution to get rid of this drainage may be rooting, installing greenify and deleting motorola app's?

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

cuddagh

Dec 21, 2010
having this problem too. Motorola really need to update to fix these bugs.

I think the constant battery drain has something to do with location, bad network signal or bad wifi signal.

knizmi

Jul 17, 2013
Mladá Boleslav
com.google.android.gms.nlp.ALARM_WAKEUP_LOCATOR

I am having problems with this too. It is coming from Network Location Provider, aka NLP. Search google for "nlp battery drain", you get dozens of hits.

It's a part of Google Play Services and it reports your location and the location of nearby wifi networks to google servers. For some reason the phone reports way too often and is constantly woken up. When I leave location on in the night, I get thousands of wake-ups because of this and the phone only sleeps about 30% of the time, discharging some 25% of battery in the process.

The only thing that works for me is to either turn location completely off or disable location based on nearby networks. This is why people report improvements when they turn location to device only (GPS only). When Google services don't see nearby networks the phone has nothing to report.

Conclusion - Google is to blame, not the phone or Motorola.

Last edited:

knizmi

Jul 17, 2013
Mladá Boleslav
Here are BBS stats for my phone's wakeups. 1015 wakeups in about an hour and a half from Google play services, 998 of them are from NLP. Google must have gone nuts!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-13-18-38-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-18-38-40.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_2014-02-13-18-38-46.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-18-38-46.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

fixxxer667

Dec 8, 2010
If you're rooted and have Xposed framework, the Wakelock Terminator module can mostly get rid of the NLP wakelocks during screen off (no apparent side-effects) by selecting Play Services (1 app limit for free version of WLT module) and filtering for NLP.

However, I also see erratic behaviour with my battery despite using the above. Battery life in Standby and Awake has dropped a lot in the past week or so, to the point where normal use would get me around 2 days before charging and now just listening to music for a 50 min commute eats up >7% battery, with the screen off and the average combined drain is around 6.3%/h.

While the main drain comes from screen according to the Google Battery stats and BBS, I almost suspect that the calibration of the percentage indicator is off and not the actual battery. The fact that this started happening after my first occurrence of the dreaded "sudden battery drop to 1%" bug just makes me more suspicious..
I'll actually run the phone down until it shuts down and then leave it charging up to 100% + an hour or two more, wipe cache and see if that helps.

All this is on a Moto G XT 1032 - German retail model (USB cable inside device packaging, unbranded 1A charger packaged externally) running 4.4.2 (initially with 4.3)

if0rg0t

Jul 28, 2011
I am having problems with this too. It is coming from Network Location Provider, aka NLP. Search google for "nlp battery drain", you get dozens of hits.

It's a part of Google Play Services and it reports your location and the location of nearby wifi networks to google servers. For some reason the phone reports way too often and is constantly woken up. When I leave location on in the night, I get thousands of wake-ups because of this and the phone only sleeps about 30% of the time, discharging some 25% of battery in the process.

The only thing that works for me is to either turn location completely off or disable location based on nearby networks. This is why people report improvements when they turn location to device only (GPS only). When Google services don't see nearby networks the phone has nothing to report.

Conclusion - Google is to blame, not the phone or Motorola.

I've gotten the 1-2%/hr battery drain overnight when in airplane mode AND location services turned off.

If location services are off, does the NLP service still fire?

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Please post here if you are having battery drain problems. Maybe motorola will notice and acknowledge it?

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/5a07d40ff2

if0rg0t

Jul 28, 2011
What would cause the phone to drain so quickly, obviously be awake as reported by Android OS in battery settings, but not show up as awake in the battery graph summary?

See attachments for a log of extreme battery drain overnight. Location services were disabled, and no apps were running (nor did they show up in battery settings screen).

See the anomaly? It's awake ... but not awake?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-13-05-52-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-05-52-37.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_2014-02-13-05-52-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-13-05-52-43.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 149

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
In my case, I'd been hooked to "Injustice:God Among Us". That accounts for 11% of the battery so far.

AxperiaU

Oct 21, 2012
For me signing out of Google now, disabling location services did the trick.

Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392457492339.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392457492339.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 163

Sprint82

Jan 13, 2011
Bremen
A New update is out, I hope Motorola fixes the discussed issue in the New Version. Has someone downloaded it and feels a difference in battery Drainage?

if0rg0t

Jul 28, 2011
Here's another example of crazy battery drain at night. This time the device was in safe mode with no apps running. Location services was off. The point at which the severe battery drain started was after my alarm went off in the morning. I turned my alarm off opened up a simple web page in Chrome, and that's it. Android OS was a major battery consumer, and the keep awake time matched up with the duration of the severe battery drain.

8enatuze.jpg

senuqyjy.jpg

uruta5az.jpg

duse8ene.jpg

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
The BBC Weather app causes a lot of Android System NlpWakeLocks as seen by WakeLack Detector App on 4.4.2.

I was on rooted 4.3. Wanted to go to 4.4.2 so flashed stock 4.3 and allowed 4.4.2 OTA. Started to get a lot of Android System NlpWakeLocks's.

Used fastboot to erase system, cache, userdata partitions and then flashed 4.4.2 direct from official firmware. Still same issue.

After investiagation I have found it was the BBC Weather App causing the problem.

I uninstalled BBC Weather and rebooted, all fine for a few days.

Reinstalled BBC Weather and started app, immediately WakeLock Detector app shows Android System NlpWakeLock's increasing very fast, I hit refresh and can see the counts going up and an extra second of awake time is added every 5 seconds or so.

Uninstalled app and same problem still there. Rebooted and problem has gone. I then reinstalled app and opened it and same thing.

I can reproduce every single time.

To fix the wakelocks I must uninstall app and reboot (MUST reboot).

I have reported this to the BBC Weather app devs.

Hopefully this is of some help to others, it could also well be that other apps cause 4.4.2 nlpwakelock issues issues whereas on 4.3 the app was fine. Whether its an app issue or 4.4.2 issue I dont know.

Reactions: neu - smurph

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
I switched g'now and location on and installed battery guru . After a few days of the battery drain it's stopped, I'm now getting the same drain with location on as I was with it off.
I'm going to give it a few more days then switch battery guru off to see if it's that helping or the updated google play services.

rogeriorp

Dec 11, 2013
I am still in pursue of a permanent fix to the fast drainage from 100% charge to around ~96% on Kitkat. Nobody else has the issue or tips?

eemgee

Dec 27, 2013
Teesside
I was at 100% at 7.30am wifi on all the time connected 3g, location on high accuracy....but minimal use, only 3 or 4 Facebook messages.. and was still on 96% by noon. seems ok to me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are rooted i suggest getting Greenify and Xposed framework then get the module called AppOpsXposed, KitKat Battery_Stats_Enabler and Better Battery stats,
    with these running and setup correctly i can get 0.1% an hour battery drainage in sleep mode which is pretty amazing.

Good Luck.
    Original ROM or custom one? if custom, which? Why your drain is that low? google now deactivated or simply better than the original rom by Motorola?

Not sure, surprised myself. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2635706
    I presume you have location and g'now disabled?

Indeed, yes.
    Sorry, I have no idea how to help with your problem but may I ask how did you manage to fix the battery capacity issue?

Yes :good:
    I've used the Moto G until it turns off (0% reached).
    I've put it on charge with a charger that allows me to do charge it from off(the charger is the stock of the Galaxy Mini 2,but probably every charger NOT USB can charge when turned off :good: ).
    When it reached the 100%,let it charge for another hour.
    Unplug the charger,and turn on the device :fingers-crossed:
    (Sorry for my bad english,also ask for any thing unclear :D )
    The chargers I Use are all Charger + USB Cable and I can charge the Moto G from 0% (OFF) without any problems.
    I had battery problems too but it seems that the KitKat update reset something because just before the flash, the battery was on 9x% and after the flash (and a 2x Factory resets from the recovery, just to sure) it went to 43%, and now the battery life seems a lot better than before!
    BTW I have the Dual SIM Moto G XT1033.

Well, there are reports that the stock charger from the G doesn't have enough juice to kickstart the phone on 0%. I never tried on mine tho.

@Astroke67

It's just a thought but try and disable all the sync and locations services, force close and clear the cache on the GP Services, restart and give it a go. Might work.