[Q] Abysmal performance on I9300XXUGMK6 FW

Search This thread

revan17

Dec 23, 2010
Zagreb
My gf has this phone and I'm simply blown away how bad this FW works.

Opening any app takes ages. Closing any app reloads the stock launcher. She doesn't have any widgets except the weather one. She only uses Whatsapp, Chrome and FB(the only horrible app on the phone). I have disabled in settings every app I can. The free RAM is constanly less than 100MB.

The phone was never rooted. I'm wondering can I do anything with this if I root it? Will I see any benefits? I'm reluctant to put any custom ROM because she won't find her way around(she ain't very tech savy). What can I do to make this phone semi-usable?

revan17

Dec 23, 2010
Zagreb
Free RAM is totally, and absolutely, irrelevant.

Yeah if it works properly. Not if the launcher reloads after opening and closing a single app. That means the ram is full and oom is doing its thing.

I've had 6 different androids and I've used Linux in my pcs, so please don't start with the free ram/wasted ram ballad.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Factory reset and/or reflash the rom with odin, disable all the bloatware and use nova launcher. Without root you can't disable everything but it should be more fluid.

An extra lite custom rom, based on stock, is the same to use but without any bloat. On mine I have at 500mb free after clearing memory in samsung task manager, but seldom have the need to do so.

Last edited:

revan17

Dec 23, 2010
Zagreb
Factory reset and/or reflash the rom with odin, disable all the bloatware and use nova launcher. Without root you can't disable everything but it should be more fluid.

An extra lite custom rom, based on stock, is the same to use but without any bloat. On mine I have at 500mb free after clearing memory in samsung task manager, but seldom have the need to do so.

Thnx. Could you recommend a lite custom rom?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
No, as that's against the forum rules -but the one I use in mentioned in my signature.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk