[Q] Root nexus 5 help!

Search This thread
May 26, 2014
OK in am new to this if I root my phone with one root brand or what ever it's called can I unroot with the same kind or something different

fxdil

Jun 3, 2014
OK in am new to this if I root my phone with one root brand or what ever it's called can I unroot with the same kind or something different

Okay, to first learn what is root and what it entails, read this http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/faq-to-android-read-post-root-t2508292

Once you have understanding of what it is, there are other guides to help you with the different aspects of it and possibilities of what you can do with your phone. Refer to this http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/resource-guides-info-threads-linked-read-t2784527

jball

Jan 7, 2012
Amber
Google search is your friend.
Google " fastboot "&" adb " along with the word and # " Nexus 5 ".
If you read and understand than it is harder to brick your device

Nexus 5 rastakat 4.4.3 via Tapatalk app

May 26, 2014
Okay, to first learn what is root and what it entails, read this http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/help/faq-to-android-read-post-root-t2508292

Once you have understanding of what it is, there are other guides to help you with the different aspects of it and possibilities of what you can do with your phone. Refer to this http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/resource-guides-info-threads-linked-read-t2784527

I understand root sorry I didn't make that clear. However I have three question. #1 Do I root before I get a recovery?#2 Do need a computer to root?

fxdil

Jun 3, 2014
I understand root sorry I didn't make that clear. However I have three question. #1 Do I root before I get a recovery?#2 Do need a computer to root?
You only posed two..

1. No. You need to unlock the bootloader first, from there you can install a custom recovery.
2. Highly recommended. There are tools nowadays that simplifies the process, but nothing works as best as doing it manually. You'll get to learn more, understand how your phone works, and it's much easier overall for the people at this forum to help you if you encounter a problem, if you understand the terms we use and how things are done.

Sent using Etch-a-Sketch.

May 26, 2014
You only posed two..

1. No. You need to unlock the bootloader first, from there you can install a custom recovery.
2. Highly recommended. There are tools nowadays that simplifies the process, but nothing works as best as doing it manually. You'll get to learn more, understand how your phone works, and it's much easier overall for the people at this forum to help you if you encounter a problem, if you understand the terms we use and how things are done.

Sent using Etch-a-Sketch.

Sorry I also didn't mention I unlocked the bootloader yesterday

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Did you unlock using adb?

You can't unlock the bootloader using adb. It needs to be unlocked when the phone is in fastboot mode using a fastboot command.

I followed these directions I don't know if it used adb but I think I remember seeing it.

If you have already unlocked the bootloader, then download a recovery, extract the recovery.img file and then flash it via fastboot. All these steps can be accessed by following the thread linked in my signature.

May 26, 2014
You can't unlock the bootloader using adb. It needs to be unlocked when the phone is in fastboot mode using a fastboot command.

If you have already unlocked the bootloader, then download a recovery, extract the recovery.img file and then flash it via fastboot. All these steps can be accessed by following the thread linked in my signature.[/QUOTE

Where I am confused is when I download the recovery in this case twrp 2.7.1.1 and the superSU and put them in the android platform folder, do I then turn my phone off and fastboot mode and unzip the superSU in the platform folder?

fxdil

Jun 3, 2014

If you have already unlocked the bootloader, then download a recovery, extract the recovery.img file and then flash it via fastboot. All these steps can be accessed by following the thread linked in my signature.

I didn't tell him to unlock using adb did I? Merely pointing out to do it manually, he must have had to download adb to his computer, given that he's not even sure how he unlocked his bootloader.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Where I am confused is when I download the recovery in this case twrp 2.7.1.1 and the superSU and put them in the android platform folder, do I then turn my phone off and fastboot mode and unzip the superSU in the platform folder?

Will you please read the thread named "[GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root" which is linked in my signature. Read it thoroughly and then post questions. Please get your basics cleared first.

Put the twrp img file in platform tools folder and then open a cmd window from there to run fastboot commands. Yes, you need to go into fastboot mode to run fastboot commands.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I didn't tell him to unlock using adb did I? Merely pointing out to do it manually, he must have had to download adb to his computer, given that he's not even sure how he unlocked his bootloader.

Just for the sake of accuracy and to be pedantic, fastboot and adb are completely different. fastboot.exe and adb.exe do completely different things. All thats needed unlock the bootloader is fastboot.exe and USB drivers. This can all be done without downloading adb.exe

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fxdil

Jun 3, 2014

Turn your phone off, boot into bootloader, then fastboot the recovery image.

Once done, reboot into your new custom recovery, use adb to push the superSU zip to your phone (do not unzip it, leave it as it is), use your custom recovery to locate to the zip, then install it.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info

You said, "Did you unlock using adb? Then you should be on your way to rooting."

Anyone would interpret this as if your accepting that the bootloader is unlocked with adb. Which isn't correct. In any case, if that's not what you meant, my bad! :)

May 26, 2014
Will you please read the thread named "[GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root" which is linked in my signature. Read it thoroughly and then post questions. Please get your basics cleared first.

Put the twrp img file in platform tools folder and then open a cmd window from there to run fastboot commands. Yes, you need to go into fastboot mode to run fastboot commands.

I am doing what you are telling me in your thread. when I open the command window and input the first code it say "the system cannot find the path specified" that the problem / what has been done fore this to say that?

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
I am doing what you are telling me in your thread. when I open the command window and input the first code it say "the system cannot find the path specified" that the problem / what has been done fore this to say that?

You get that error because the twrp file which you're trying to flash isn't in the platform tools folder.
Here are some things you need to check:

1. Have you navigated correctly to the twrp file path in fastboot?
2. Is the twrp file named correctly? if it's recovery.img then the command would be fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
3. Make sure you have file extensions seen in windows explorer so that you can confirm the file extension.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You said, "Did you unlock using adb? Then you should be on your way to rooting."

Anyone would interpret this as if your accepting that the bootloader is unlocked with adb. Which isn't correct. In any case, if that's not what you meant, my bad! :)
    Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Its on the left under "NOTICE" if you look at the top it is in platform tools

Open the platform tools folder. Rightclick anywhere inside the folder whilst holding shift key. You will find an option called "Open command window here"

Click on that and continue flashing the recovery. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"