[Q] Rezound wont charge a dead battery

Search This thread

bigillz

Jun 30, 2010
Holy ****!!! I think I may have found the fix! I have had the same exact problem as everyone in here. It seems to happen once I root. My Rezound would die completely, then after plugging it in, the light would come on for 5 seconds or less then shut off. I plugged it into my computer and Windows makes the USB Connected sound, so I figured something is happening.

I went into my command prompt and *adb devices*. It showed my device, but says in recovery mode. I then *adb reboot bootloader* and the bastard rebooted into bootloader! From there, I chose "REBOOT" and it fired right back up! Anyone who is having this problem, please try this and let me know if it works for you!

***UPDATE***

It appears when the battery dies all the way and then doesn't charge, the phone is automatically going into recovery mode even though nothing shows on the screen. I had my SIM card out when I tried this the first time, then when putting my SIM back in, it started doing the same thing. But again, it was going directly into recovery mode. This time, I tried a simple *adb reboot* and BAM! I'm back up and running! Again, let me know if this works for you, or if you need help doing this, let me know.

Nice call. I've had problems with Amon Ra and use CWMTouch. adb reboot powered it up and it's charging now.

Thanks!

WookieFan

Nov 21, 2010
NYC area
Nice call. I've had problems with Amon Ra and use CWMTouch. adb reboot powered it up and it's charging now.

Thanks!

Wow. You mean this happened to you while using AmonRa? And all this time people have been blasting CWM for being faulty. I'll have to test this now with my standard battery.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ

WookieFan

Nov 21, 2010
NYC area
Think you read what he said wrong. I think the issues with Amon Ra for him were something else.

Possibly wishful thinking on my part - apologies for the misread. But I was able to verify a few things over the past few hours.

I ran my standard battery down to "full" discharge. I use CWM touch normally, but had standard CWM flashed during this test.

I observed the same issues others have reported. My Rezound did not appear to turn on after being plugged in to a wall socket for roughly five minutes. When plugged in, the charging light briefly lit amber and disappeared.

Plugged it in to my laptop and the light lit briefly again. I waited another 15 minutes, periodically trying to "adb reboot recovery" or "adb reboot bootloader."

After that time the Rezound trickle charged enough to boot into either recovery or bootloader. Another ten minutes and the phone was able to boot normally.

So the Rezound does charge in both bootloader and recovery as indicated in bigillz post above, and CWM does NOT ruin batteries after a "full" discharge.

The only thing that is actually happening is that the Rezound gives no indication that it is charging while in recovery.

I'd be happy to post a YouTube video in a few days if anyone has any doubts.

Thanks to bigillz for sharing his findings.

Last edited:

TheEndGame7

May 24, 2009
South, FL
Holy ****!!! I think I may have found the fix! I have had the same exact problem as everyone in here. It seems to happen once I root. My Rezound would die completely, then after plugging it in, the light would come on for 5 seconds or less then shut off. I plugged it into my computer and Windows makes the USB Connected sound, so I figured something is happening.

I went into my command prompt and *adb devices*. It showed my device, but says in recovery mode. I then *adb reboot bootloader* and the bastard rebooted into bootloader! From there, I chose "REBOOT" and it fired right back up! Anyone who is having this problem, please try this and let me know if it works for you!

***UPDATE***

It appears when the battery dies all the way and then doesn't charge, the phone is automatically going into recovery mode even though nothing shows on the screen. I had my SIM card out when I tried this the first time, then when putting my SIM back in, it started doing the same thing. But again, it was going directly into recovery mode. This time, I tried a simple *adb reboot* and BAM! I'm back up and running! Again, let me know if this works for you, or if you need help doing this, let me know.

You're a God!!! ;-) Worked!!! Thanks man! XDA has some true geniuses!!!

funnyangrykid

Mar 27, 2011
Right Here HELLO! :)
When my battery dies all the way, I plug in the charger but no charging light shows up. But I just keep the charger on for about a minute and BLAM I see that precious orange light. That's how I fixed MY dead battery lol

Sent from my S-off HTC Rezound

if I've helped in anyway, don't be shy of that thanks button : )

Reactions: sanchitgrover

iAaronHD

Jan 4, 2011
Atlanta

***UPDATE***

Holy CRAP! Your a GENIUS!!!! I plugged my rezound into my computer and did a reboot using adb and BAMMMMMM it powered on. GOD I LOVE XDA!!!!

Sublime865

Jan 24, 2009

***UPDATE***

This ended up working for me, I always heard that ding when it plugged in (I use my computer to charge more times than not) and wondered why if it was "off" it was registering as a device. Running CWM 5.5.0.4 I do believe with JuopunutBear bootloader/hboot/whatever it is, Holics rom/kernel, rooted, s-off and sim unlocked "AT&T" HTC Vivid with the 3.8V battery and 32GB sandisk microsd - for those interested.

ABD for the win!

Redwolf379

Jan 12, 2011
This is common with USB charging. In order for the USB connection to properly communicate with your device, it wants a little juice to get started. The best practice, no nonsense way to charge from completely dead is just use the wall charger. Its faster and works every time.

Sent from my ViperRez mobile command center

Redwolf379

Jan 12, 2011
That's no good. I've never had a phone not come back with a wall charge but I suppose anything is possible. Smart phones don't always live up to that name lol.

Sent from my ViperRez mobile command center

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
One late night, I let the power run down surfing the net. I plugged it in, charged it a half hour, and still no little orange light. I thought somehow I broke it. I about freaked out.Pulled the battery for 10 minutes, and it began charging. I think they did it purpose just to mess with us.JK.....

Last edited:

boltomair

Jun 11, 2012
Lansing
...still wont charge

guys my phone still wont charge with any of the above methods, so far, ive been charging thru my old thunderbolt, but i cant do that forever, i even got a replacement battery from amazon and same issue with that..

john10101

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you, adb reboot fixed my problem and its charging. Guess this is another reason to just go back to stock for a while.

BurstingVeins

Sep 1, 2010
Frederick
I know I'm late to the game on this thread, but I found out something about this in my own messing around recently.

If you're completely stock without root and having a charge problem, I have no clue what your problem is, but if you are running CWM or possibly amon ra (not sure because I haven't tried it), it appears CWM won't charge from a completely off state in ICS. I never had a problem with a GB release, it only started when I updated to HTC ICS so I'm assuming it's probably the same for other ICS roms. What this means is if you let the battery completely die or you turn off fastboot and turn your phone off, the phone won't charge. There might be some hiccups in this problem that you can get around with adb occasionally, but for the most part this appears to be the problem.

If you don't know about the fastboot option on your phone, it should be under Battery in settings. Some roms might have this turned off by default because it just puts your phone into a hibernate mode instead of shutting everything down and having a fresh boot when you turn it on again. You might be able to plug into the computer and get a trickle charge enough to boot, or just keep adb rebooting to get little charge boosts. Once you get charged again just make sure you don't let the battery die or use a bootloader that doesn't have this problem (not sure which one other than stock).;)

gandroid6

Oct 30, 2012
figured out a workaround for dead battery charging issue with HTC rezound

I hit the same problem and finally was able to figure out the following word around...

borrow a good htc rezound battery from someone else and power up your phone with the good battery with the Power+Vol Down keys pressed.

Now connect a good charger to your phone

use vol keys no navigate to 'RECOVERY' and then select this option by pressing the power key. The phone vibrates and the HTC screen shows up...AT THIS POINT, REMOVE THE GOOD BATTERY AND IMMEDIATELY INSERT THE DEAD BATTERY....this has to be done as quickly as possible...

the phone will power up into recovery mode...again use the vol keys to navigate to the option "reboot the phone" and hit HOME key to select this option. the phone will reboot and power up completely. wait until the battery charges to a reasonable amount and then return your frnds battery back :)

All the best !

Reactions: tmar23

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

***UPDATE***

Blinks then Charges

I had the battery die on me once (on a prior battery and prior rezound). The phone will blink orange for a WHILE (I tried 3 different chargers not knowing what it was), but eventually started to charging. I think patience is needed. If, after 15 minutes, you still aren't charging, then that's something (but longer if the phone was also hot).

***UPDATE***

Yes... HTC phones never charge "powered off" When you turn it off and then put it on the charger, it is actually entering/booting a special screen off recovery mode during charging.

CWM recovery on the rezound has trouble charging a completely dead battery.

Use Amon RA recovery.
    When my battery dies all the way, I plug in the charger but no charging light shows up. But I just keep the charger on for about a minute and BLAM I see that precious orange light. That's how I fixed MY dead battery lol

Sent from my S-off HTC Rezound

if I've helped in anyway, don't be shy of that thanks button : )
    figured out a workaround for dead battery charging issue with HTC rezound

I hit the same problem and finally was able to figure out the following word around...

borrow a good htc rezound battery from someone else and power up your phone with the good battery with the Power+Vol Down keys pressed.

Now connect a good charger to your phone

use vol keys no navigate to 'RECOVERY' and then select this option by pressing the power key. The phone vibrates and the HTC screen shows up...AT THIS POINT, REMOVE THE GOOD BATTERY AND IMMEDIATELY INSERT THE DEAD BATTERY....this has to be done as quickly as possible...

the phone will power up into recovery mode...again use the vol keys to navigate to the option "reboot the phone" and hit HOME key to select this option. the phone will reboot and power up completely. wait until the battery charges to a reasonable amount and then return your frnds battery back :)

All the best !