[MOD|1.26|1.28|1.29] Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu | Aroma **May-05**

Search This thread

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
Not really sure what you mean - are you saying you don't see the 3-dot menu? On a lot of apps it's always there at the bottom of the screen - I've attached a screenshot of Tapatalk.

AFAIK, on native ICS phones without hardware buttons, this would appear as an overflow button beside the on-screen navigation buttons (see 2nd image). But as the One X has hardware navigation buttons, Sense displays the menu button as a bar right across the bottom of the screen, as shown in the screenshot of Tapatalk.

This only applies to legacy apps that aren't using the new UI rules, which should put the 3 dots as part of the app interface (e.g. as in Gmail).

This is unless I've missed something basic - I haven't rooted yet, so haven't applied this mod, but it's one of the first things I'll do when I root, as the 3-dot menu is really annoying when it covers up the keyboard cursor controls.

Are you saying that you don't see the bar with 3 dots at the bottom of Tapatalk until you press a button? Are you using the Sense launcher or a 3rd party one?

On ruu 1.19 those 3 dots hide. They show up then right next to 3 dots there is a arrow pointing down u press that and the whole bar hide. Now I see whatchu guys *****ing. I updated to 1.26 and the 3 dots are there all the time lol. There is no option to hide bar like in software 1.19. Sucks

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

preacher65

Nov 20, 2010
near London
On ruu 1.19 those 3 dots hide. They show up then right next to 3 dots there is a arrow pointing down u press that and the whole bar hide. Now I see whatchu guys *****ing. I updated to 1.26 and the 3 dots are there all the time lol. There is no option to hide bar like in software 1.19. Sucks
Aha! That makes a whole lot more sense now, that you were on different firmware. Thanks for explaining. :) I hope they bring that feature back!

Wolfblood

May 5, 2006
Hi, blubbers. I love your mod but when I try to apply your mod to my HTC One X ([ROM] RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_hTC_Asia_HK_1.26.708.2_Radio_1.1204.90.13_release_251215_signed) But will case the phone hold on the boot up screen. I've already try all mod but no one can success...

Is that because my rom is 1.26.708? Can you make one more to work on this ROM?

Thanks a lot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edit] After try again & try again. I success use the CWM flashable: blubbers_3DOTS_PATCH_rev-1.zip to Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu. I'll test in deep & report any error. Thanks all.

Last edited:

molecule_cc

Feb 12, 2010
Cairo
Hi, blubbers. I love your mod but when I try to apply your mod to my HTC One X ([ROM] RUU_ENDEAVOR_U_ICS_40_hTC_Asia_HK_1.26.708.2_Radio_1.1204.90.13_release_251215_signed) But will case the phone hold on the boot up screen. I've already try all mod but no one can success...

Is that because my rom is 1.26.708? Can you make one more to work on this ROM?

Thanks a lot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Edit] After try again & try again. I success use the CWM flashable: blubbers_3DOTS_PATCH_rev-1.zip to Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu. I'll test in deep & report any error. Thanks all.

I'm having the exact same problem, the only one that worked for me was the CWM blubbers_3DOTS_PATCH_rev-1.zip.

My phone is rooted and i'm on the stock rom, Software version 1.26,401.2

endursa

Dec 26, 2008
Linz
the mod works perfeclty :)

i use the home-longpress for menu, with the SystemUI from the v2 release :)

but the screenshot shows one problem that still exists with the mod, every app that shows this darkening effect has the glitch where the menu bar is supposed to be...

would be cool to fix this little problem :)

and second screenshot shows that the background on the notification area is distored (behind carrier, x and settings button, as well as on the pull down bar at the bottom)

edit: i managed to fix both issues :), the first one was simply 2 missing const v0, 0x0 for mNavigationBarHeight and mNavigationBarWidth, in android.policy.jar PhoneWindowManager.smali

for the second bug, i just took the stock systemUI.apk and decompiled only source without resources, added the return statement to PhoneStatusBar.smali and recompiled it, leaving the resources stock

the problem here was that 4 files got renamed from *.r.9.png to *.9.png hence the graphical distortion :)

added a CWM flashable zip :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-04-15-18-09-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-15-18-09-40.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Screenshot_2012-04-15-18-02-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-15-18-02-51.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 428
  • fullscreen-v2fixed-lp_home_menu.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
Has anyone else noticed a problem with the the pull down status bar where the bottom of the top bar is covered? I didn't notice this before flashing fullscreen-v2-lp_home_menu.

5c28fe8a-dc56-eb51.jpg

endursa

Dec 26, 2008
Linz
Has anyone else noticed a problem with the the pull down status bar where the bottom of the top bar is covered? I didn't notice this before flashing fullscreen-v2-lp_home_menu.

try my fixed version, maybe it's only a problem of the SystemUI.apk, but you'll loose the percentage battery mod! cause thats also included in the SystemUI.apk!

so i would ask your mod provider for a fix ;)

Reactions: marcadam

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
try my fixed version, maybe it's only a problem of the SystemUI.apk, but you'll loose the percentage battery mod! cause thats also included in the SystemUI.apk!

so i would ask your mod provider for a fix ;)

Nice work with the fix, is it possible to mod the version with long press home = app switcher please?

It would be muchly appreciated :)

blubbers

Jan 8, 2011

5c28fe8a-dc56-eb51.jpg

you probably flashed my mod on a rom that has done other modifications to the android.policy.jar, like leedroid's rom

endursa

Dec 26, 2008
Linz
Nice work with the fix, is it possible to mod the version with long press home = app switcher please?

It would be muchly appreciated :)

that's easy, just copy the SystemUI.apk from my fixed zip to the homeLP-recent zip, as the notificationbar distortion is only from that file! the mod itself is in the android.policy.jar :) and that one has no problems!

Reactions: GuyAdams

Levophed

Dec 28, 2009
I got a problem! After I installed the files from fullscreen-v2.zip, everything worked fine but I lost the vibration of the 3 functional buttons (back, home, recent app). They were used to vibrate shortly when pressed, but the short vibration was gone after I installed the mod. What can I do to bring the vibration back?
Thanks!

stanny2k

Jun 7, 2011
Cardiff
Hi,

I can't make head nor tail which zip file to flash....

I want to remove those 3 dots and have the menu button as the bottom right button on the handset..

I don't care about never using the switch apps button again, its a silly design, they should have kept them in the notifications drop down area...

Thanks guys.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This modification will give you the full resolution for all non-ICS apps. I guess many of you have been waiting for this.

The Window-Switcher Key (right one) will be remapped to the Menu button. This key will be usable system-wide!

**update** The recent app's key is remapped to long-pressing home
    **update #2** I've made a cleaner removal of the 3-dot menu;
    -> the screen-overlay is now fully usable
    -> the keyboard has the arrow-keys
    -> no more changes to SystemUI.apk, the zip includes the stock version now
    **update #3** by popular request of the i-want-to-long press-home-as-menu fanboys, i've made a zip, fullscreen-v2-lp_home_menu.zip
    it contains stock qwerty.kl & stock SystemUI.apk
    **update #4** support for 1.28.401.9
    **update #5** Added Aroma installer
    **update #6** support for 1.29.401.7

**update #7** fixed the arrow keys I've broken in update #5, all versions

Root is required, duh

Use on deodexed ROM's based on 1.26.x/1.28.x/1.29.x only(tested on 1.26.401.2 & 1.28.401.9 & 1.29.401.7)

Use the attached aroma installer (all versions included, 1.26/1.28/1.29/stock) with CWM recovery

There are some re-odexed zip's here (I do not/will not provide odexed versions): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25533464&postcount=373 & http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25063642&postcount=279
    Ive made CWM packages for easy installation.

rev1--- without home long-press to launch recent apps
    rev2--- with home long-press to launch recent apps
    rev2-1- with home long-press to launch recent apps (compatibility fix attempt)

ver2--- code cleanup + fullscreen overlay usable + kboard arrow key

@blubbers

now we need long-press APP_SWITCH or BACK button assign to SEARCH function :D
    I managed to reodex the android.policy.jar successfully :)
    why? to use this awesome mod with stock rom!

so now the mod is usable on stock roms without using a custom or deodexed rom :)

i added a revert to stock zip in case anything goes wrong ;)

just flash with CWM but remember, only with odex stock rom!

if you don't know what odex means or not use a custom rom, this is the version for you!

edit: download should be fixed! recent version coming, had the wrong zip file :)
    i hope a 1.29 patch for stock will be posted

here you go :)

Version a - Recent key mapped to menu, and long press home mapped to app switch

version b - Recent key standard, and long press home mapped to menu

and a back to stock file

all flashable from CWM! tested by me on 1.29.401.7
    I made a flashable zip of this mod.

Get it here http: and flash in recovery.

(Thanks to Patrics83 for the script-lines to remove odex-file) ;)

Edit 08.04.2012: Link removed, obsolete ;)