GPS Fixer (GPS + Glonass) (download mirror added)

Search This thread

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
GPS Fixer - GPS + Glonass

First of all i never found issue in GPS fixing, but y'day was just free and surfing XDA for some good stuff. I have seen many threads regarding GPS fix on various device. so I have downloaded them and checked for curiosity. Also I have plenty of ROMS there on my PC so I have explored SGS1/SGS2 (Non Glonass) device and look for GPS config. Surprisingly all I have found in flashable zip OR aroma installer was all having old configuration which was used in Non Glonass device.
Samsung using only one conf that is for north america.(this what i have seen on many ROMs I have explored). But still samsung stock conf are different on glonass devie and are better.
Who are not knowing about Glonass, just to add in note series we have GPS + Glonass system for better and speedy position tracking. Glonass (Global navigation satellite system) is differenet from GPS )Global positioning system) and launched by Russia. So if you use older configuration there won't have benefit of glonass on your device.

So really I do need to use GPS fix?
No, Really I never have any issue with stock settings. But if you have any issue with fixing you can try this. Also if you have fixed with other tool that may have old configuration then you can try this.

What is difference from other GPS fix
As earlier I have said many i have downloaded from different forum on XDA have old non glonass config. Which really won't get any benefit but worsen fixing time. Also someone have asked me about known tool on market Faster Fix, So I have downloaded and tried that but surprisingly that also having non glonass settings. I have took some screenshot and will post here at end of post.

How I can know My setting using Glonass setting
Just install GPS test from market and check satellite number you are getting (I will add image at end of post). If you are not getting/rarely getting view of satellite number >65 then your setting are using non glonass conf.. Also when you select satellite position view in GPS Test app, Glonass satellite you can see in symbol of Triangle while GPS are round.

How do I test new Settings
-If you applying new setting with other tool/Application then you should clean data of GPS (data/gps - remove all files from here), bcoz your old data may help new setting to fix bit faster depending on location history but it won't catch new when you move to different place and give you false result. first apply new settings then clear data from data/GPS and reboot device. After Rebooting open GPS test application and look for time taken to fix (satellite postion view will show you time)/Number and type of satellite as well accuracy.
So best way to test
-In case you want to test this tool, simply flash it with aroma, this tool auto erase old data. After rebooting check with GPS test as said above.

Some results

Ok so here screenshots with Non Glonass configuration 1.With Non glonass continental setting 2. Non Glonass country setting

attachment.php
attachment.php

So what we can interpret here is with this setting none of glonass satellite used to FIX GPS. First image showing satellite number is between 02-25 and second image between 03 -32 but none of it having number more than 65 which indicates Glonass. Also you can see accuracy is also not good. select country setting it was bit approved but time was same on both.

Using This tool with 1.Continental setting 2.Country settings3.stellite position view

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

You can see here in first image there are 5 glnass satellite there (representing between 65-87) while second image have 3 glonass satellite (72-86)
Also you can see accuracy are much better than non glonass setting. third image is satellite position view with continental setting, you can see there are many triangle symbols which represents Glonass satellite. Also note time took to fix was just 8sec. Again to remind you i was in side Room not under sky directly throughout all tests.

Faster Fix result
Here satellite position view with using faster fix with country settings

attachment.php

Here you can see there is no glonass satellite used to fix position and time took to fix also longer.

Conclusion :

- If you don't have any issue on stock default setting then no need to do anything.
- If you are using custom setting, then clean data from data/GPS folder (remove all files under it) reboot device and carry out test. If it doesn't use glonass satellite to fix, you should update your settings with attached tool.
- I don't find much improvement in continental and country setting, Best result I got is with my continent. so no meaning to make different settings for every country, remember samsung using only one continental setting for all (north-america). But if you are not happy with your continent settings you can try others, it may depends on pool server.

Hope this may help to understand GPS fixing better way !

No need to post lots of screenshot unless you unable to interpret it bcoz I don't wish this thread to be screenshot repository like on battery/score statistic. I have attached here for just better undertandings. Though your result sharing will be highly appreciated and will help to others.

PS : Not disrespect for tools i have tested but I like to credit them for their great work, just issue is database used was old and for non glonass device and samsung also no more using it on glonass device.

Download

DrKetan_GPSFix_Aroma

Mirror http://d-h.st/5gG

Attachments

• DrKetan_GPSFix_Aroma.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 21,094
Last edited:

dr.ketan

Some useful information about GPS and Glonass

GPS stands for Global Positioning System and is a satellite based positioning system owned and maintained by the US Air Force. The GPS system currently contains 31 active satellites transmitting signals. GPS is used by millions of civil devices to calculate the position.

GLONASS stands for Globalnaya Navigatsionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema and is also a satellite based positioning system but is owned and maintained by the Russian Space Forces. GLONASS development started in 1976 but it was not until October 2011 that full global coverage with modern satellites was achieved with 24 active satellites. Hence the number of GLONASS-only devices is very limited.

How GLONASS improves positioning

It’s simple math – by supporting both systems in a receiver, the number of available global satellites increases from 31 to 55. Therefore, more geographic locations are able to receive four or more signals from satellites, which in turn means more successful position calculations and also better accuracy of the calculated positions in challenging environments.

To save power, the GLONASS receiver is only activated in problematic locations, such as in an urban environment with high rise buildings. Therefore, if you are in an open sky environment where there are enough GPS satellites available to calculate a good accuracy position, GLONASS will automatically be switched off temporarily to enhance the battery lifetime.

the region of coverage of GLONASS is at upper northen hemisphere & lower southern but not good near equator due to inclination of satellites.

Last edited:

dr.ketan

I have just installed faster fix and checked, i can't believe this also using same pool like I said above. Yes it does have also old pool settings and may worsen than stock.
I have captured screenshot of faster fix test too. It took 46sec while this tool with my continent setting took just 14sec.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

cerisu

Sep 19, 2008
Jyväskylä
Works fine on my t0lte with android 4.3. Earlier i had problem to lock GPS and now it seems to lock as it should. :good:

Edit:I was too early. Still searching GPS. Weired, GPS test app locks almost right away but system just searching.

Last edited:
Reactions: dr.ketan

cerisu

Sep 19, 2008
Jyväskylä
Yes i think it`s caused by a system cos every GPS software i use works just fine (i`we got FIX almost immediately). I have lot`s of system applications witch uses location, but is it a-gps or GPS, i don`t know. I wonder, you mean something to folder /data/gps. I checked that folder and it`s empty.

cerisu

Sep 19, 2008
Jyväskylä
Any app using location uses A-GPS when GPS is off, You need not to wipe data/gps folder if you have used tool in OP, as this script itself wipe it and that's why your folder is empty. As you have stated every app fixes it immediately then when you getting issue (searhing)?

Every now an then. When i take phone out of my pocket and unlock it, there is in notificationbar GPS icon and notification says searching gps signal. So it must be related to system. The problem is that i think searching eats lot of battery.

I can solve issue by disabling GPS and enabling that again. But it come back in a moment.

dr.ketan

clean your system by factory reset , if you have lots of data then use taker for auto GPS ON/Off for certain application(which you want to have GPS ON) only. This will auto ON GPS when your defined app open, and auto off when you exit that app. This also save battery as GPS will remain ON only when you needs. also you have not to do it manually everytime.
I am using it and if you need profile i will give you.

Last edited:

cerisu

Sep 19, 2008
Jyväskylä
I do factory reset every time i flash new Rom, and this is only android 4.3 issue. I searched on the net for "searching for gps android" and find multiple similar problems.

I installed app Gsam, and it shows that android system was using gps for 7 hours and some minutes. So it is system related.

I read somewhere that problem occurs only indoors. That might explain why navigation apps works, cos i use those only outdoors. I have to check if android gps cannot get fix in outdoors.

cerisu

Sep 19, 2008
Jyväskylä
I did some more researching. When that "searching GPS signal" appears in notification panel i went outdoors and launched GPS test app (phone was idle). App didn`t get FIX at all. So i go settings and disabled the gps and right away i enabled it and then launched the gps test app. And, bam. FIX right away.

So that must be something about system.

Kristi-Tech

Feb 14, 2012
Tirana
This are a few screenshot showing how fast my phone's GPS locks. I just used FasterFix once and set it to Europe. I'm indoors by the way, above me is the ceiling and the roof.

Attachments

• 1381343_308585855947989_1760759095_n.jpg
    1381343_308585855947989_1760759095_n.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 861
  • 1374161_308588289281079_74096288_n.jpg
    1374161_308588289281079_74096288_n.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 853
  • 1378237_308588539281054_2060915616_n.jpg
    1378237_308588539281054_2060915616_n.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 878

dr.ketan

Delete data /gps folder contents and check.
If your old data have glonass satellite saved then you can see. I have tried more than 5 times but no glonass satellite was used to fix gps on faster fix.
This thing I have mentioned in op too.
Basically our note2 gps is really nice and unless we have issue we don't need fix.
Also you can check your gps.conf file, it will have same settings as it was used on non glonass device.

Last edited:

Kristi-Tech

Feb 14, 2012
Tirana
So, I deleted the gps.conf content and cleared a-gps data but still was able to get lock and see the glonass satelites. Am I doing something wrong or what?
I installed your zip after that and didn't see any difference.

Sent from my GT-N7100

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380283829516.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380283829516.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,040

dr.ketan

I have Re Tested again and result is same as i have stated in OP.
I have installed faster fix and 4 time tested and not single time it get fixed with glonass. I have used same europe setting like you. Also it took long time to fix.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

And after using Europe setting with tool. you can see glonass satellite here.

attachment.php
attachment.php

So may be data have not been cleared (also needs reboot after deleteing gps folder contents) Can you check again what files you have deleted to clear contents.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-48-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-48-04.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4,767
  • Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-48-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-48-24.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4,776
  • Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-48-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-48-46.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4,770
  • Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-51-44.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-51-44.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,696
  • Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-53-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-53-02.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 4,716
  • Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-57-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-57-51.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4,670
  • Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-58-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-09-27-19-58-23.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4,660
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GPS Fixer - GPS + Glonass

First of all i never found issue in GPS fixing, but y'day was just free and surfing XDA for some good stuff. I have seen many threads regarding GPS fix on various device. so I have downloaded them and checked for curiosity. Also I have plenty of ROMS there on my PC so I have explored SGS1/SGS2 (Non Glonass) device and look for GPS config. Surprisingly all I have found in flashable zip OR aroma installer was all having old configuration which was used in Non Glonass device.
    Samsung using only one conf that is for north america.(this what i have seen on many ROMs I have explored). But still samsung stock conf are different on glonass devie and are better.
    Who are not knowing about Glonass, just to add in note series we have GPS + Glonass system for better and speedy position tracking. Glonass (Global navigation satellite system) is differenet from GPS )Global positioning system) and launched by Russia. So if you use older configuration there won't have benefit of glonass on your device.

So really I do need to use GPS fix?
    No, Really I never have any issue with stock settings. But if you have any issue with fixing you can try this. Also if you have fixed with other tool that may have old configuration then you can try this.

What is difference from other GPS fix
    As earlier I have said many i have downloaded from different forum on XDA have old non glonass config. Which really won't get any benefit but worsen fixing time. Also someone have asked me about known tool on market Faster Fix, So I have downloaded and tried that but surprisingly that also having non glonass settings. I have took some screenshot and will post here at end of post.

How I can know My setting using Glonass setting
    Just install GPS test from market and check satellite number you are getting (I will add image at end of post). If you are not getting/rarely getting view of satellite number >65 then your setting are using non glonass conf.. Also when you select satellite position view in GPS Test app, Glonass satellite you can see in symbol of Triangle while GPS are round.

How do I test new Settings
    -If you applying new setting with other tool/Application then you should clean data of GPS (data/gps - remove all files from here), bcoz your old data may help new setting to fix bit faster depending on location history but it won't catch new when you move to different place and give you false result. first apply new settings then clear data from data/GPS and reboot device. After Rebooting open GPS test application and look for time taken to fix (satellite postion view will show you time)/Number and type of satellite as well accuracy.
    So best way to test
    -In case you want to test this tool, simply flash it with aroma, this tool auto erase old data. After rebooting check with GPS test as said above.

Some results

Ok so here screenshots with Non Glonass configuration 1.With Non glonass continental setting 2. Non Glonass country setting

attachment.php
    attachment.php

So what we can interpret here is with this setting none of glonass satellite used to FIX GPS. First image showing satellite number is between 02-25 and second image between 03 -32 but none of it having number more than 65 which indicates Glonass. Also you can see accuracy is also not good. select country setting it was bit approved but time was same on both.

Using This tool with 1.Continental setting 2.Country settings3.stellite position view

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

You can see here in first image there are 5 glnass satellite there (representing between 65-87) while second image have 3 glonass satellite (72-86)
    Also you can see accuracy are much better than non glonass setting. third image is satellite position view with continental setting, you can see there are many triangle symbols which represents Glonass satellite. Also note time took to fix was just 8sec. Again to remind you i was in side Room not under sky directly throughout all tests.

Faster Fix result
    Here satellite position view with using faster fix with country settings

attachment.php

Here you can see there is no glonass satellite used to fix position and time took to fix also longer.

Conclusion :

- If you don't have any issue on stock default setting then no need to do anything.
    - If you are using custom setting, then clean data from data/GPS folder (remove all files under it) reboot device and carry out test. If it doesn't use glonass satellite to fix, you should update your settings with attached tool.
    - I don't find much improvement in continental and country setting, Best result I got is with my continent. so no meaning to make different settings for every country, remember samsung using only one continental setting for all (north-america). But if you are not happy with your continent settings you can try others, it may depends on pool server.

Hope this may help to understand GPS fixing better way !

No need to post lots of screenshot unless you unable to interpret it bcoz I don't wish this thread to be screenshot repository like on battery/score statistic. I have attached here for just better undertandings. Though your result sharing will be highly appreciated and will help to others.

PS : Not disrespect for tools i have tested but I like to credit them for their great work, just issue is database used was old and for non glonass device and samsung also no more using it on glonass device.

Download

DrKetan_GPSFix_Aroma

Mirror http://d-h.st/5gG
    Some useful information about GPS and Glonass

GPS stands for Global Positioning System and is a satellite based positioning system owned and maintained by the US Air Force. The GPS system currently contains 31 active satellites transmitting signals. GPS is used by millions of civil devices to calculate the position.

GLONASS stands for Globalnaya Navigatsionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema and is also a satellite based positioning system but is owned and maintained by the Russian Space Forces. GLONASS development started in 1976 but it was not until October 2011 that full global coverage with modern satellites was achieved with 24 active satellites. Hence the number of GLONASS-only devices is very limited.

How GLONASS improves positioning

It’s simple math – by supporting both systems in a receiver, the number of available global satellites increases from 31 to 55. Therefore, more geographic locations are able to receive four or more signals from satellites, which in turn means more successful position calculations and also better accuracy of the calculated positions in challenging environments.

To save power, the GLONASS receiver is only activated in problematic locations, such as in an urban environment with high rise buildings. Therefore, if you are in an open sky environment where there are enough GPS satellites available to calculate a good accuracy position, GLONASS will automatically be switched off temporarily to enhance the battery lifetime.

the region of coverage of GLONASS is at upper northen hemisphere & lower southern but not good near equator due to inclination of satellites.

I have just installed faster fix and checked, i can't believe this also using same pool like I said above. Yes it does have also old pool settings and may worsen than stock.
    I have captured screenshot of faster fix test too. It took 46sec while this tool with my continent setting took just 14sec.

OP Updated now.
    I have check on N7100 conf file and it's bit different than on N7100.
    So before using better make backup. Path of files is same but settings are different, so in case it doesn't work then you can restore it.