[Questions] & [Answers] For (Nearly) All Your Galaxy Tab Problems.

Search This thread

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
Edit: maybe it is just your CWM that isn't working properly? have you tried using the soft button to select the items?

1) unpack the GB_Stock_Safe_v5.tar
2) go to download mode
3) heimdall flash --repartition --pit ./gt-p1000_mr.pit --factoryfs ./factoryfs.rfs --cache ./cache.rfs --dbdata ./hidden.rfs --primary-boot ./boot.bin --secondary-boot ./Sbl.bin --param ./param.lfs --kernel ./zImage --modem ./modem.bin

Thanks heaps for the detailed information. It failed because I didn't have a modem.bin in the directory - should have read the command line more carefully.

Alas when I tried again with the JPZ one - which seems to be the one i want as far as I can tell from google I got the soft brick screen... that is the one with the outline of a phone and a PC and a ! between them.

I can't get it into download mode now. Just that screen. I've tried power on and vol up I've tried power on and vol down, with or without screen connection.

But then I decided... what if it will work anyway? That's what the various how to unbrick things say. Even if it doesn't say "downloading" maybe it will do so.

And it did!

at the end, it seemed to boot into clockwork recovery, and gave errors:
failed to mount /dbdata invalid argument
discard filesystem for rfs can;t mount /dbdata
cache wipe failed
can't open directory /preload/app no such file or directory
copy application failed

Installing multi-csc
can;t acccess to /system/csc/MKO/system
successfully appl;ied multi-csc

then it jsutr sat. I tried powering off, it got back into soemthignn like clockwork recovery saying "OK key to reboot"

Alas it's a tab, there is no OK key!

next step, try overcome.

Last edited:

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
for me I would do it in one go without booting into the OS at all.
heimdall flash the gb-stock-safe.
Finished, force off, force to download mode
heimdall flash overcome kernel.
Finished, force off (without waiting for the ROM to come up), force to CWM recovery
Flash ICS, flash gapps, reboot to ICS.

I have been doing these steps so many times.

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
for me I would do it in one go without booting into the OS at all.
heimdall flash the gb-stock-safe.
Finished, force off, force to download mode
heimdall flash overcome kernel.
Finished, force off (without waiting for the ROM to come up), force to CWM recovery
Flash ICS, flash gapps, reboot to ICS.

I have been doing these steps so many times.

How are you flashing your ICS?

The instructions on the cynagenmod wiki assume you have the ability to put it on the root partition or are running rom manager.

So I get the cmw recovery and can't work out what to do next.

And now I can't get the recovery.... I can get download but once I've done the GB install then overcome flash only straight power on and poweron/voldown work, can't seem to force cwm recovery.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
Put the files in sd card and choose to install from sd card. That is how I install mine.

Recovery from complete power off : hold volume up + power. Keep holding until Samsung logo appear, let go power only, keep holding volume up, until recovery appear then let go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
Put the files in sd card and choose to install from sd card. That is how I install mine.

Recovery from complete power off : hold volume up + power. Keep holding until Samsung logo appear, let go power only, keep holding volume up, until recovery appear then let go.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Your patience is impressive and very welcome. I do appreciate you taking the time to help.

I downloaded cm-9.1.0-p1.zip via the cyanogen mod wiki page which seems to be the latest stable. MD5 sum correct both when downloaded and when copied to sd card.

I seem to have a black thumb for this thing.

I started again from scratch, so GB stock safe then overcome from 002001-Overcome_Kernel_v4.0.0.tar

I still can't get into recovery mode.

If I have a cable attached I just get a grey battery icon once I force power off then on after flashing overcome.

If I don't have a cable attached then when I boot from power off with volume up held on, if I take my finger off power when the logo appears I get the robotic voice and eventually an unusable recovery screen, where the vol up/down buttons work but the power button doesn't select. If I don't take my finger off power, it just powers off again.

If I let the robot voice go then eventually it boots to a screen saying android which then does nothing. If I use power and volume up, I get the unusable recovery screen not the proper one.

I once got a working recovery screen, but when I tried to install the cm zip from the external card it printed a couple of lines on the screen got a bit over a cm of brown progress line then rebooted right back into the recovery mode again except this time did not have the option to install from external card. And would not boot into anything else, just the recovery.

I tried reflashing GB and overcome, but the same sequence happens.

So it seems that maybe clockwork is trashed. So I reflash clockwork, then GB and overcome, but same sequence happens, can't get a good recovery screen.

If I reflash clockwork but don't do GB and overcome again I can get the recovery but the install from sd card fails with
installing update
assert failed getprop("ro.product,device) == "galaxytab" || getprop("ro.build,product") =="galaxytab" || getprop("ro.product,device") -== "GT-P1000" || getprop("ro.build,product") = "GT-P1000"

Now that all looks like I don't have the right cm for my device (a 3G box bought from Expansys UK) but various property files from titanium backup say
sys_ro.build.description=GT-P1000-user 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD XWJPE release-keys
and
sys_ro.product.model=GT-P1000

so the cm file is right. but it isn't finding the properties for some reason. Is that because this is a clockwork kernel flashed without me flashing the GB and overcome after it?

samfirmware.com doesn't have the XWJPE firmware but does have P1000XWJPJ_P1000OPSJP6_OPS.zip which is an Australian one, hopefully not locked to the carrier with its name on!

Is it worth trying to reset with that, then go through all this again?

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
OK, I think I tried to rush you.
Take one step at a time.
now, just GB stock safe and make sure the tab boots to GB ROM.
Post back, does that work fine.
Late here, check back with you tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda app-developers app

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
OK, I think I tried to rush you.
Take one step at a time.
now, just GB stock safe and make sure the tab boots to GB ROM.
Post back, does that work fine.
Late here, check back with you tomorrow.

Once more into the breach!

Gave it a few hours on the charger, then flashed GB and let it reboot, removing the cable as soon as flash done.

heimdall flash --repartition --pit ./gt-p1000_mr.pit --factoryfs ./factoryfs.rfs --cache ./cache.rfs --dbdata ./hidden.rfs --primary-boot ./boot.bin --secondary-boot ./Sbl.bin --param ./param.lfs --kernel ./zImage --modem ./modem.bin

modem.bin used was from JPZ

Boots into a screen labelled Android system recovery <3e> which "doesn't work" meaning I can move between menu items with vol up/down but not select with power.

deleting /system/csc
successfully installed package.

updating filesystem
failed to mount /dbdata (Invalid argument)
discard filesystem for rfs can't mount /dbdata

wiping cache
formatting /cache
cache wipe failed

updating application
failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
install application for customer Can't mount /data

your storage not prepared yet. Please use UI menu for format and reboot actions
copy application failed

appling Multi CSC
Installing Multi CSC
can't access to /system/csc/MKO/system/
successfully applied multi-CSC

Power off, power on, same screen but now it says MANUAL MODE and gives the same /dbdata, storage not prepared, and Multi-CSC errors as above.

AndroidOS.FTW

Oct 7, 2010
Northern Virginia
Soft Bricked T-Mobile Tab (Original) SGH-T849

Yeah, you read the model name right. That's a T849 or at least, that's what's printed on the back. This is a first release T-Mobile Tab. It was actually running the GB-Stock-Safe-v5 ROM for months and then just one day after a reboot, it kept looping and wouldn't recover. I popped it on the PC, fired up ODIN and performed the same ODIN flash process I've done dozens and dozens of times between various Vibrants, Tabs and SGS2s but, it never would recover.

I still have and tried flashing the Stock Safe v1 as well as the v5 TARs and PITs with no joy. If anyone out there has any ideas and preferably, working links to any suggested ODIN or other flash files (this device is so old that many links to files no longer work), I'm all ears (eyes).

Update: I've restructured the image placement and added a capture of the ODIN flashing, just so you could see, the flash seems to take just fine with no errors but, I still end up right back at the same Android system recovery <3e> screen, with the same error.

Here's a pic of the results from the latest attempt to flash back to the GB-Stock-Safe-v5 ROM. I'd really love to get this Tab back in play so, again, if anyone has suggestions.

ODINSuccessT-MoGalaxyTab_zpse4e3737f.jpg

20121022_161137.jpg

Interestingly, I can perform a "wipe data/factory reset" from this menu and it appears successful, returning the following.

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /dbdata...
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

How can the formatting of /data succeed (no error indicated) if /data didn't mount as suggested by the error displayed? Just on a lark, I decided to give ODIN another shoot but, switch things up by using the Overcome Kernel vice the GB Stock Safe one. Everything was looking good, load went smooth and first reboot began the conversion process (I've loved hearing that sexy female robot voice since my first taste of TeamWhiskey) but, I was disappointed to hear her tell me "Convert data partition... Not enough space on partition"

That got me thinking and lead me to try something else. Heading back to ODIN I decided to try flashing just the GB Stock Safe PIT to see about resetting the partitions. PIT flashed fine, I immediately booted into CMW recovery and did a data/factory reset. That's when I saw this.

--Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Error mounting /data!
Skipping format...
Formatting /cache...
Formatting /dbdata...
Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure...
Formatting /sdcard/android...
All User Data Wiped.

So, that leads me to think the internal storage is hosed in some way. Is it possible that ODIN isn't actually initiating a true format/repartition of the internal store even though no errors during the flash are indicated? Or is this an indication that the internal storage is simply corrupt? If corrupt, is there any way to recover?

My thanks to all who take the time to read these posts and offer their experience and knowledge to the community in an attempt to help those in need.

Last edited:

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
I actually own a T849 myself.
Maybe the NAND chip is failing as you said it just happen one day.
Anyway, this thread mentioned about flashing dbdata.rfs.tar using Odin

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23348040#post23348040

try flashing the dbdata.rfs with heimdall

heimdall flash --dbdata ./dbdata.rfs
and see how it goes.

EDIT: Really sorry, I am looking into the heimdall parameters again
there should be a --dbdata and --hidden supported and GB-stock-safe has both

can you try: (with GB-stock-safe)
heimdall flash --repartition --pit ./gt-p1000_mr.pit --factoryfs ./factoryfs.rfs --cache ./cache.rfs --dbdata ./dbdata.rfs --hidden ./hidden.rfs --primary-boot ./boot.bin --secondary-boot ./Sbl.bin --param ./param.lfs --kernel ./zImage --modem ./modem.bin

EDIT2: Dont have to do that I tried to do the same mistake in my tab, I can confirm the same error, but then I ignore it.
I will just flash overcome kernel (untar to get zImage)

heimdall flash --kernel ./zImage

then boot yourself to recovery (Overcome CWM and flash ICS)

BTW, 3e recovery OK button is not POWER button, it is capacitive HOME button, but you won't use that recovery anyway.

Last edited:

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
heimdall flash --repartition --pit ./gt-p1000_mr.pit --factoryfs ./factoryfs.rfs --cache ./cache.rfs --dbdata ./dbdata.rfs --hidden ./hidden.rfs --primary-boot ./boot.bin --secondary-boot ./Sbl.bin --param ./param.lfs --kernel ./zImage --modem ./modem.bin

Same error as I had... and the command line I was using had the same problem so I tried adding dbdata.rfs and --hidden but this is what happened:

# heimdall flash --repartition --pit ./gt-p1000_mr.pit --factoryfs ./factoryfs.rfs --cache ./cache.rfs --dbdata ./dbdata.rfs --hidden ./hidden.rfs --primary-boot ./boot.bin --secondary-boot ./Sbl.bin --param ./param.lfs --kernel ./zImage --modem ./modem.bin
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
Session begun with device of type: 0

Uploading PIT
PIT upload successful
Uploading HIDDEN
100%
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
HIDDEN upload failed!
Ending session...
Rebooting device...
Re-attaching kernel driver...

The hidden came from the GB_Stock_Safe_v5.tar file which is the same as the one in your sig link according to diff and md5sum.

But just to be sure... I unzipped the one from your link in another dir, untarred, copied the JPZ modem.bin to the untar directory ran it again. Same error.

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
Same error as I had... and the command line I was using had the same problem so I tried adding dbdata.rfs and --hidden but this is what happened:

OK, so being a horribly impatient sort and realising Things Are Stuffed, I tried to flash the firmware from samfirmware.

It has the same stuff as the GB, except no dbdata. So I tried the same command line, removing the dbdata and changing file names as appropriate:

$ heimdall flash --repartition --pit ./P1_add_hidden.pit --factoryfs ./factoryfs.rfs --cache ./cache.rfs --hidden ./hidden.rfs --primary-boot ./boot.bin --secondary-boot ./Sbl.bin --param ./param.lfs --kernel ./zImage --modem ./modem.bin
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Attempt failed. Detaching driver...
Claiming interface again...
Setting up interface...

Checking if protocol is initialised...
Protocol is not initialised.
Initialising protocol...
Handshaking with Loke...

Beginning session...
Session begun with device of type: 0

Uploading PIT
PIT upload successful
Uploading HIDDEN
22%
ERROR: Failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence!
HIDDEN upload failed!
Ending session...
Rebooting device...
Re-attaching kernel driver...

Only got to 22% this time! Then booted to the Android System Recovery <3e> screen showing Manual Mode.

Maybe my copy of heimdall no good?

So off to the mac.

using a fresh GB safe zip, and the heimdall command line, same problem as tryng to do GB on the linux box. 100% hidden then the complaint about the end of transfer sequence.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
Hi RiderG.
That was a bug in heimdall that keep resurfacing.
I now have the same error.

But read my message.
It doesn't matter that you get the error.
Now unpack the overcome kernel tar until you get a image.

Flash that using heimdall --kernel

Then boot into that cwm 5.x
Use that to flash the latest cm9/cm10 or aokp
Need to do it twice because of mtd conversion.

Then flash gapps immediately then reboot.

I just did it before I post my last edit.

Go try that.

Reactions: RiderG

RiderG

Oct 21, 2012
Hi RiderG.
That was a bug in heimdall that keep resurfacing.
I now have the same error.

But read my message.
It doesn't matter that you get the error.
Now unpack the overcome kernel tar until you get a image.

Flash that using heimdall --kernel

Then boot into that cwm 5.x
Use that to flash the latest cm9/cm10 or aokp
Need to do it twice because of mtd conversion.

Aha! Did that, and once I realised that the 2nd time you pick "flash from internal SD card" even though it is the external SD card....

then the install worked.

I was scared it hadn't for a bit as the splash screen was up for a while but I managed to keep my fingers off the power button for long enough,

And it works!

Once again thanks heaps. It's people like you who make the world go around.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
So, that leads me to think the internal storage is hosed in some way. Is it possible that ODIN isn't actually initiating a true format/repartition of the internal store even though no errors during the flash are indicated? Or is this an indication that the internal storage is simply corrupt? If corrupt, is there any way to recover?

My thanks to all who take the time to read these posts and offer their experience and knowledge to the community in an attempt to help those in need.

Don't like the way you "ninja" your post since you are the not the OP, it is not easy to find the original post.

But yeah, it does sounds a bit like hosed memory. the failed movinand and all.
One shot you get is by accessing CWM and flash CM9 for example.
It has different partition scheme, maybe it will somehow get around the bad block, but I am a bit sceptical about that too.

After that, of course there is the "Fix Damaged Internal SD" thread and the "External SD only thread"
for the brave hearts.

AndroidOS.FTW

Oct 7, 2010
Northern Virginia
Which way did he go, George? Which way did he go?!?

Don't like the way you "ninja" your post since you are the not the OP, it is not easy to find the original post.

But yeah, it does sounds a bit like hosed memory. the failed movinand and all.
One shot you get is by accessing CWM and flash CM9 for example.
It has different partition scheme, maybe it will somehow get around the bad block, but I am a bit sceptical about that too.

After that, of course there is the "Fix Damaged Internal SD" thread and the "External SD only thread"
for the brave hearts.

Sorry for the Ninja-posting. LoL I actually thought I was making it easier by keeping everything central. In the future, I'll simply link to the previous post for ref. Well, I can certainly give the CM9 a shot since I can install the Overcome kernel and gain access to CWM but, if that doesn't work, I'm not afraid of a little hardware modding. I did the front facing camera mod to my Vibrant back in the day and I kind of like popping things open and seeing the workings.

Of course, if the internal memory did in fact go bad, I wonder if that's repair worthy of Samsung outright. If it's a relatively low cost affair to have Sammy refurb the unit vice doing a chop job on it myself... Well, off to download the CM9 files, and begin researching the Fix Damaged Internal SD and External SD Only threads.

Thanks much for reading through my posts and offering suggestions, priyana. Sorry again for making it difficult for you to do so. Well, off to fudge around with this Tab some more. :p

ale_pegasus

Aug 24, 2012
Serra
[Help] Exchange ROM, P1000L not care and neither bears!

Good afternoon guys.
My name is Alessandro, a time swapped my P1000L Kernel Rom along with the tablet functioned normally after that I changed the rom and the kernel, after he downloaded he did not call more and can not even carry it. what should I do, what tutorial should I follow?

It was until this Rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871113

:crying:

alroger

May 19, 2011
Deerfield Beach
OnePlus 6
Moto G Stylus 5G
Good afternoon guys.
My name is Alessandro, a time swapped my P1000L Kernel Rom along with the tablet functioned normally after that I changed the rom and the kernel, after he downloaded he did not call more and can not even carry it. what should I do, what tutorial should I follow?

It was until this Rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1871113

:crying:

Check Settings/About Tablet.. you might be missing the modem firmware (no baseband). Get modem.bin and copy to /radio in the Tab. That thread should have all the links.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
He does this by turning over after he unloaded do not care anymore!

something must be lost in translation.

I suggest you write in both english and your native languange.
Maybe someone that understand it can reply.

As far as I know, it is OK to write in foreign language as long as you try to put the best translation as well.

Top Liked Posts