"Waiting for SD card" problem will never end :(

Search This thread

unstable_

May 18, 2009
Hello, I'm not glad that i have to post this topic, but i think the whole story about "Waiting for SD card" problem will never end. I have 3 SD's at home, even one not works.

What i tried:
- i read a lot of topics about this problematics
- i tried to format my cards to fat32
- i tried clean cards
- i tried to format with special tools
- i tried customize startup.txt with msmsdcc_1bit msmsdcc_fmax=14000000 msmsdcc_nopwrsave etc.
- i tried 5 versions of android, even one not works...

I will be very glad if someone helps me or gives me an advice what should i try

Thanks a lot!

kkk111

Jun 2, 2008
Is any one of the sd cards you tried a "class 2"? Seems that class 6 sd cards have this problem.

azureyx

Sep 18, 2009
Hello, I'm not glad that i have to post this topic, but i think the whole story about "Waiting for SD card" problem will never end. I have 3 SD's at home, even one not works.

What i tried:
- i read a lot of topics about this problematics
- i tried to format my cards to fat32
- i tried clean cards
- i tried to format with special tools
- i tried customize startup.txt with msmsdcc_1bit msmsdcc_fmax=14000000 msmsdcc_nopwrsave etc.
- i tried 5 versions of android, even one not works...

I will be very glad if someone helps me or gives me an advice what should i try

Thanks a lot!

no need to try more versions on your current SD cards. Go to look for some very old one, better smaller then 2GB.
I got 5 in my home, 2 of them works. Both of them are 2GB, bought 3 yrs ago.
None of new one could be used.

Adriaaaaan

Feb 24, 2009
Pretty Disappointing... I'm stuck too. I'm suprised it hasn't been fixed yet can't be that hard compared to everything else they've acheived.

I hope everyone involved keeps up the hard work but it'd be great for someone to revisit this problem.

mlemanczyk

Feb 5, 2009
its a hardware problem of the sd card, not a software problem.
it will never be fixed (its not possible).

its not like an sd card is too expensive ^^ just get another one...

have a look at this thread

I tend to disagree. SD is a well known standard on the market.

The card that I have works fine for more than a year in Windows Mobile with Touch HD card reader. Without a single problem during that time. So everything: operating system, SD card and HTC HD card reader are fine.

It doesn't work with Android, so there is something wrong. Either with SD card initialization procedure, drivers or operating system (Android).

Unfortunately, I can't effort using 2GB card. I'm using my phone e.g. for books reading, music, photos, games etc. It's not only a phone ;) I hope that all these hard working Android guys can fix this issue.

Last edited:

N!ghty

Dec 13, 2008
localhost
I tend to disagree. SD is a well known standard on the market.

The card that I have works fine for more than a year in Windows Mobile with Touch HD card reader. Without a single problem during that time. So both: operating system and HTC HD card reader are fine.

If it doesn't work with Android, it's Android's problem. Either with SD card initialization procedure, drivers or operating system (Android).

we are not looking at the sd card when its detected by the operating system but by the device itself.
the problem might be that the device is simply not capable to use some sdcards without the proper drivers (which the os then provides). what im saying is: before you enter the os the device might not detect some particular sd cards, but once the os is booted, it does.
the issue here is simple: if the device doesnt support the sd card, the os wont boot, this has nothing to do with the os.

if you dont believe me:
try flashing a WM rom from the "problem sd card". u will see: it wont work.
now try booting android from the same sd card. u will see: it wont work.

now get another card u can boot android with.
now try flashing a WM rom from this sd card. u will see: it will work.

conclusion: its a hardware problem.

i must say im not an expert but im not stupid either. i tried what i explained myself and thats just how it is...
if someone has a better explanation please correct me :)

mlemanczyk

Feb 5, 2009
we are not looking at the sd card when its detected by the operating system but by the device itself.
the problem might be that the device is simply not capable to use some sdcards without the proper drivers (which the os then provides). what im saying is: before you enter the os the device might not detect some particular sd cards, but once the os is booted, it does.
the issue here is simple: if the device doesnt support the sd card, the os wont boot, this has nothing to do with the os.

What you're saying may be right. I'm not an expert either, so these are only my conclusions.

I think that what may be failing is the HSPL (Bios) that most people here loaded. I'm pretty sure that I was able to flash from SD card on my stock ROM. At some point it stopped working. I'll try to rollback to stock SPL (I'm not sure how to do it, yet) and confirm. So changed HSPL may be the issue.

Another question is, why SD drivers in either case are not loaded with the boot image. I don't know Android internals, so I can't tell if this is possible. But it would help in this case.

In both cases I don't think this is hardware issue that can't be resolved.

thteong

Jan 3, 2009

if you dont believe me:
try flashing a WM rom from the "problem sd card". u will see: it wont work.
now try booting android from the same sd card. u will see: it wont work.

now get another card u can boot android with.
now try flashing a WM rom from this sd card. u will see: it will work.

i must say im not an expert but im not stupid either. i tried what i explained myself and thats just how it is...
if someone has a better explanation please correct me :)

Sorry. You are wrong. I am frequently flash my phone using SD card with HSPL. But the card also face problem with Android. So definitely not the hardware problem.

cereal86

Mar 31, 2009
Portugal, Coimbra
Hello

I have 2 card's, one 8GB from Transcend and one 4GB from Kingston, and the kingston only works with android!

UPDATE: Transcend Class 6, Kingston Class 4

Last edited:

zenity

Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
From my personal experience on my Kaiser I can confirm that newer SD cards do indeed seem to cause problems in Android, especially with installing or running from SD.

I have 3 SD cards I normally use for my phones, the newest a 4Gb class 6, which I have never been able to use for Android on Kaiser or Blackstone, I can't even flash with it, it just never works, using it for data storage works fine, just can't run Android from SD or Flash with it, the other 2 are 2Gb class 2's, both work just fine for flashing, and work great when using them for running Android builds from SD on Kais and Blac hardware.

My conclusions? Well I fall into the 'hardware problem' camp, mostly, since I can't flash either Winmo or Android with the class 6, it may be the card, but I wonder sometimes if it's the capacity, since both the class 2's are almost the same age as the class 6, all are sdhc, all 3 are from the same manufacturer , (SanDisk), in fact the only real difference is the capacity.

Robin0Mayer

May 4, 2009
Waiting for SD Card

I have also tried a Transcend 8 GB SD Card and it doesn't work.

The same files on a Tanscend 1GB SD Card work just fine, so it's definitely a hardware problem caused by the card.

I've tried everything - formatting the card with different tools and different cluster sizes, partitioning the card below 4GB - all without success.

For all you guys out there with the "waiting for SD card" problem: Get a different (small) card !! - It's worth it !

kosmodisk

Sep 27, 2007
what about this - copy files in the package into device internal memory and boot from there(i don´t know where to change booting directory in cfg...). if it created data.img on the sdcard, it would be fine solution...

TheBrilliantMistake

May 3, 2007
what about this - copy files in the package into device internal memory and boot from there(i don´t know where to change booting directory in cfg...). if it created data.img on the sdcard, it would be fine solution...

Not sure it's that simple... once winmo is killed, the internal memory would have to be accessed natively by Android. It could be different for every device (where as SD is a standard, device agnostic format, internal memory isn't)

Whilst most HTC devices will work in an almost identical manner, there is no guarantee of what the internal memory is (it could actually be a HDD in theory).

kalyster

May 18, 2009
Paris
I had this problem with my Transcend 8GB SD card, nothing solved it so I traded it for a Sandisk 8GB SD card with a colleague.
Works fine now. ^^

welki1979

Feb 6, 2008
Reading
I had this problem with my Transcend 8GB SD card, nothing solved it so I traded it for a Sandisk 8GB SD card with a colleague.
Works fine now. ^^

I'm using a Transcend 8GB card...the one that came with my blackstone with no problems at all. Don't think I did anything special though, formatted to FAT32, installed android from a CAB (in this thread) loaded Android and then I copied my WinMo files back to the SD card as well.

One 2GB sandisk card I had though didn't work at all until I formatted it to FAT32 under linux, then it worked fine in WinMo and Android.

A friend also suggested to me trying to reduce the 'allocation unit size' when formatting the card but I've not tried that approach.

monostroy

Aug 5, 2009
Jakarta
maybe u can try format SD Card to FAT (not FAT32 formatted i think.. maybe it FAT16)! i have 8gb and 2gb SD Cards.. and that all cards not work untill i formatted my 2gb SD Card to FAT!
CMIIW.. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did it and it still wont work :( anyone have idea? im using 8gb Transcend Micro SD card >.<

I scanned the thread and didn't see this before, but has anyone tried Fix 2 from the Known Issues section of this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=621498

Fix 2: Edit your startup.txt file and add these entries to your cmdline:
    set cmdline "lcd.density=240 msmts_calib=0x395.0x3c9.0x79.0x77 clock-7x00.a11=500 msmvkeyb_toggle=off pmem.extra=1 gsensor_axis=-2,-1,3
    msmsdcc_1bit msmsdcc_fmax=14000000 msmsdcc_nopwrsave"

I just tried installing 2.1 for the first time and it failed during Linux boot with the "Waiting for SD Card" message. Tried formatting it several times but still no joy. But adding that extra (msmsdcc_1bit msmsdcc_fmax=14000000 msmsdcc_nopwrsave) in the cmdline area worked 100%. Give it a go!

Cheers
    LT.
    sandisk 8 GB

Hi, i don't know if my report helps anyone and i am no android guy myself since WM does all that i want but i wanted to have a go with the 02-06 release to see if i just like it.

at first i formated the standard 8gb card (wich i had laying around anyway, i use a high speed 16GB on WM) on my pc using a mini sd card to USB dongle. Then i extracted the android frojo release on my pc and onto the fresh formated 8GB. Booted the phone and NO GO!

On the second try i formated the card on my PC using FAT32 with the smallest cluster size, was 2000 something. Again placed the android files onit in the root and booted the phone. This time it ran and let me callibrate the screen in android. It let me unlock my sim card with the pin and I could browse in 3G (didnt test wifi) and use apps. I have not tried to install camera libs and other stuff. i didn't even alter files like startup.txt. It just ran

I hope this helps you guys.
    Greetz
    Caved
    anyone fix this problem ?
    i have this with my original sd card transcend 8gb and trying 12 but have that messege...
    please help

Try a different SD card. Blackstones seem particularly 'picky' with SD cards that work or do not...