Sony S1 App Essentials

Search This thread

the_EDJ

Apr 7, 2011
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Alright, so I took the plunge and have this bad boy arriving to my doorstep tomorrow. I certainly plan to spend some time playing with this all night and downloading anything and everything. I just wanted to see what people found as really helpful apps that show off their tablet, and/or really helped boost the utility of the tablet.

I don't care whether the apps are games, tools, widgets, etc.
What are you addicted to on your tablet the most?

I know with my hobbled Evo 4G I'm excited to give Draw Something and TempleRun a go without it resetting my old Sense launcher every 10 minutes. But beyond that, I haven't really looked into any tablet specific apps.

And besides Play apps, are there any built in Sony specific add-ons that really surprised you more than you expected (IR, Qriocity, etc.)?

pokoedge

Jun 16, 2011
I mainly use my tablet for reading, so my favorite apps are:

- Amazon Kindle, absolutely love it, its better than apple's iBook in every way
- Perfect Viewer, I think its one of the best manga viewers on Android

the_EDJ

Apr 7, 2011
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I mainly use my tablet for reading, so my favorite apps are:

- Amazon Kindle, absolutely love it, its better than apple's iBook in every way
Sony Reader vs Kindle vs Nook vs Google Play Books

How do they shake out in your mind?

Didn't quite know how to best approach each one. Just read through The Hunger Games on the stock Sony Reader app. Was about to download the other apps for comparison.

PS I love reading on this baby though. Just feels good.

anurbanlegend

Aug 29, 2007
I haven't tried the Sony Reader app yet, I mainly use Nook and the Kindle app. I think the Kindle app is better designed and works better but it is easier to sideload epub books into the Nook app.

Nook: sideloaded epub files, free book giveaway every friday
Amazon: use it mostly to read ebooks checked out from libraries. Works great.

Didn't quite know how to best approach each one. Just read through The Hunger Games on the stock Sony Reader app. Was about to download the other apps for comparison.

Reactions: the_EDJ

pokoedge

Jun 16, 2011

I haven't actually tried the Sony Reader, I have most of my library on Kindle already so I just went with Kindle.

hogaburger

Mar 20, 2012
www.dvdactive.com
Media:
-Sony's pre-loaded Remote Control app is great. I use it in the living room all the time and hardly touch my remotes anymore.
-Plasma Sound HD (Free) is a very fun music app that makes good use of the tablet screen size
-Adobe Photoshop Touch ($10) is a great portable substitute for the real Photoshop application. $10 seems a bit steep for an app, but you'll never need any other photo editing apps.
-Gmote 2.0 (Free) is a great app that allows you to browse for files on your computer and open them on your computer or on the tablet. It also has a touchpad mouse built in. Very handy if you have a PC hooked up in a living room.
-Amazon Kindle (Free) has been the smoothest e-reading experience for me, by miles. I'll second that Perfect Viewer (Free) is great for comics and manga.

Utility:
-If rooted, AdFree Android is a great adblocker that vastly improves browsing speed on the stock browser.
-ADWLauncher EX ($3.32) is the best alternative launcher I've found so far, though the recently released GO Launcher HD could give it a run for its money if they add more customization options.
-HD Widgets ($1.99) is my personal favorite for adding a digital clock, switches and weather status to your home screen.
-If you have a Wii, Wiimote Controller (Free) is a nice little app that allows you to sync your bluetooth Wii remote to your device. It's great for using with emulators.

Games:
-ChuChu Rocket
-Dead Space
-Draw Something
-Grand Theft Auto III
-Scramble with Friends (obscenely addictive)
-Shadowgun

riyaz ahamed

Feb 18, 2012
Media:
-Sony's pre-loaded Remote Control app is great. I use it in the living room all the time and hardly touch my remotes anymore.
-Plasma Sound HD (Free) is a very fun music app that makes good use of the tablet screen size
-Adobe Photoshop Touch ($10) is a great portable substitute for the real Photoshop application. $10 seems a bit steep for an app, but you'll never need any other photo editing apps.
-Gmote 2.0 (Free) is a great app that allows you to browse for files on your computer and open them on your computer or on the tablet. It also has a touchpad mouse built in. Very handy if you have a PC hooked up in a living room.
-Amazon Kindle (Free) has been the smoothest e-reading experience for me, by miles. I'll second that Perfect Viewer (Free) is great for comics and manga.

Utility:
-If rooted, AdFree Android is a great adblocker that vastly improves browsing speed on the stock browser.
-ADWLauncher EX ($3.32) is the best alternative launcher I've found so far, though the recently released GO Launcher HD could give it a run for its money if they add more customization options.
-HD Widgets ($1.99) is my personal favorite for adding a digital clock, switches and weather status to your home screen.
-If you have a Wii, Wiimote Controller (Free) is a nice little app that allows you to sync your bluetooth Wii remote to your device. It's great for using with emulators.

Games:
-ChuChu Rocket
-Dead Space
-Draw Something
-Grand Theft Auto III
-Scramble with Friends (obscenely addictive)
-Shadowgun

Thanks for you

DreadPirateDan

Oct 16, 2011
Queensland
Apps:
>Documents to go -loading up a full word document with pictures is pretty snazzy ;)
>File Manager HD - nice file browser for tablets
>MX video player, or double twist. Both good but I go MX.
>Winamp for music
>Volume+ FREE is nifty as - compresses all outputs so that they all stay in the upper range of loudness, and as such gives the effect of turn up the volume.
>My bank has an awesome net banking app for tablets also that is very intuitive, maybe yours might too :)

Games:
>(whoops just saw hogaburger posted this one allready) ShadowGun - a pretty impressive gears of war clone that looks and plays great on the sony tablet s. Also supports mapping controls to a ps3 controller/gamepad
GTA3> Plays and looks great, also natively supports the ps3 controller but I'm sure you could reconfigure the controls if needed.
>ZEN Pinball THD. It's simply amazing, if you like pinball I don't think you'll find a better app on the play store.

I also recommend getting Slide me marketplace installed (3rd party market). Then you can get some amazing emulators that used to be at premium price on the android market (and were/are the finest emulators around) for free :D. ie snesoid, nesoid, gbcoid, etc etc. The only one he seems to be charging for is N64oid. Pity cause I bought that back inthe day and now it's gone :(.

And the fun really starts if you decide to go ahead and root the tablet. Then all the games from gameloft become available to you if you edit your build.prop ;)

Stock sony apps you say? Crash bandicoot is definately the best one :D:D:D:D. The rest suck in my opinion. Some would argue that the IR remotes awesome, I just find it tedious. Or that the sony music player sounds great, but I think the tablet itself sounds bad anyway so whats the difference really. Plus you gotta jump through hoops to get your SD card music to show up in it. (need root).

Oh. I do like the stock launcher and keyboard. If you don't mess with them too much, they work pretty good.

Last edited:

the_EDJ

Apr 7, 2011
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Games:
GTA3> Plays and looks great, also natively supports the ps3 controller but I'm sure you could reconfigure the controls if needed.

I also recommend getting Slide me marketplace installed (3rd party market). Then you can get some amazing emulators that used to be at premium price on the android market (and were/are the finest emulators around) for free :D. ie snesoid, nesoid, gbcoid, etc etc. The only one he seems to be charging for is N64oid. Pity cause I bought that back inthe day and now it's gone :(.
It's really cool that GTA 3 supports a controller input! I'll have to check that out now.

And that the Slide me marketplace sounds really nifty. I guess I'll have to get that micro to mini USB dongle thing to plug in a gamepad and really unlock the emulator abilities of the tablet!

I HATE how little Sony's PSN games offer. With everything they've collected from me, I refuse to buy MediEvil and such twice. My account info should all be able to transfer over and unlock that.

techfellow

Oct 20, 2009
Gordon
Thank you all for this great list. My Tablet S should be here tomorrow, I hate that I will be at various appointments all day before I could get my hands on it.

I'm a little disappointed it does not interact more with the PS3, but I have my fingers cross that with the ICS update this matter will be address.

I'm still on the fence on if I should root or not.

Got my Sony tablet S, and after playing with it for about 5 hours last night, this thing is great! This is my first tablet so really nothing to compare it to.
My wife which has a Kindle keyboard is loving this tablet, she loves the bigger screen, the fact that she can read in the dark without a desk lamp, and most of all the shape.

So now i'm in the market for a second tablet as soon as may 1st, I will wait and see if Google comes with something like the rumors says, or maybe one of the new samsung, or the prime.

Thanks again for the list.

Last edited:

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
It's really cool that GTA 3 supports a controller input! I'll have to check that out now.

And that the Slide me marketplace sounds really nifty. I guess I'll have to get that micro to mini USB dongle thing to plug in a gamepad and really unlock the emulator abilities of the tablet!

I HATE how little Sony's PSN games offer. With everything they've collected from me, I refuse to buy MediEvil and such twice. My account info should all be able to transfer over and unlock that.

+1 for that :p

Sony isn't really doing his best I mean which PSone games do you have other then the silly ones available right now
These games I would like to see in the PS store:

1. Command and Conquer
2. C&C Red Alert 1
3. A Bugs Life
4. Ape Escape
5. Tomb Raider
6. Rayman

These games are already much more "Liked" then the simple games on ps store and still, Nothing more then just a couple of dumb old games..

And they need a controller or it is not playable except rayman.
Example: Fpse doesn't support ps3 Controller

aldredd

Aug 18, 2010
Milton Keynes, UK
for me,

Best Apps:
iTap Mobile RDP - a fantastic remote desktop app which uses requires no 3rd Party App to be installed on the pc. I use it at home and at work, and has gesture recognition.
Price: About $12

Mindjet - formally 'Thinking Space Pro', a paid for app, this is now owned by MindJet (who I think make enterprise level versions of the software) as a free app. Makes a great tool for at work.
Price: free

Best Games:
Sim City - Surprisingly good graphics and gameplay, though takes a little getting used to the controls.
Price: Can't remember, but about $4 iirc

Train Crisis HD - just a fun puzzle type game
Price: Approx $1

(sorry, wouldn't let me post links)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I haven't tried the Sony Reader app yet, I mainly use Nook and the Kindle app. I think the Kindle app is better designed and works better but it is easier to sideload epub books into the Nook app.

Nook: sideloaded epub files, free book giveaway every friday
    Amazon: use it mostly to read ebooks checked out from libraries. Works great.

I haven't actually tried the Sony Reader, I have most of my library on Kindle already so I just went with Kindle.
    Apps:
    >Documents to go -loading up a full word document with pictures is pretty snazzy ;)
    >File Manager HD - nice file browser for tablets
    >MX video player, or double twist. Both good but I go MX.
    >Winamp for music
    >Volume+ FREE is nifty as - compresses all outputs so that they all stay in the upper range of loudness, and as such gives the effect of turn up the volume.
    >My bank has an awesome net banking app for tablets also that is very intuitive, maybe yours might too :)

Games:
    >(whoops just saw hogaburger posted this one allready) ShadowGun - a pretty impressive gears of war clone that looks and plays great on the sony tablet s. Also supports mapping controls to a ps3 controller/gamepad
    >ZEN Pinball THD. It's simply amazing, if you like pinball I don't think you'll find a better app on the play store.

And the fun really starts if you decide to go ahead and root the tablet. Then all the games from gameloft become available to you if you edit your build.prop ;)

Stock sony apps you say? Crash bandicoot is definately the best one :D:D:D:D. The rest suck in my opinion. Some would argue that the IR remotes awesome, I just find it tedious. Or that the sony music player sounds great, but I think the tablet itself sounds bad anyway so whats the difference really. Plus you gotta jump through hoops to get your SD card music to show up in it. (need root).

Oh. I do like the stock launcher and keyboard. If you don't mess with them too much, they work pretty good.