How to Tether using WiFi Tether- TrevE Mod (ROOT NEEDED)

Search This thread

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
I downloaded your settings , and the download is a zip file, do I need to flash this to get the settings working?

Also, what do you recommend, the monthly service for $6.95, or the yearly service for $39.95?

The file I attached to the post is an .apk. Just open it with a file browser app, and install it. As for the service. I would recommend trying out the one month to see how you like it, and if you like what they provide, sign up for a year, as the year option is less than $4/mo

rp56

Feb 8, 2013
Im trying to figure oit b away that I can use my phone as s wifi hotspot for I can stteam netflix with my roku box I did it sll the time with my sensation that only problem with the Gs4 when you try to turn the hotspot on it just turns right back off.any ideas.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

ispot

May 12, 2013
Potomac, MD
ihadna.com
I downloaded your apk file and installed it, git vpn running, changed SSIS , enabled encryption and changed the security phrase, and clicked on start tether, I got a msg that says wifi tether started, I also got a message saying setting ad-hock failed. Now wifi tether is running but I can not see my SSID on the list on ny iPad

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
Im trying to figure oit b away that I can use my phone as s wifi hotspot for I can stteam netflix with my roku box I did it sll the time with my sensation that only problem with the Gs4 when you try to turn the hotspot on it just turns right back off.any ideas.

I downloaded your apk file and installed it, git vpn running, changed SSIS , enabled encryption and changed the security phrase, and clicked on start tether, I got a msg that says wifi tether started, I also got a message saying setting ad-hock failed. Now wifi tether is running but I can not see my SSID on the list on ny iPad

Make sure you are applying the settings exactly as are stated in the op. I believe you did not select the proper setup method, if you're getting the ad hoc message

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app

ispot

May 12, 2013
Potomac, MD
ihadna.com
I changed device profile to Sansung S3, now wifi tether runs with no problem but I still cannot see my SSID on my ipad or my labtop, now ehat am I doing wrong?

ispot

May 12, 2013
Potomac, MD
ihadna.com
Guys, I am lost. I need your help. VPN is running and connected, WIFI tether is running and shows some numbers in D/L and U/L, but I cannot see my SSID on any device, my labtop, my ipad, my iphone, ....
All what I did is change device profile to Galaxy S3, enable encryption, chsnged the 128bit security phrase, and changed the SSID

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
Guys, I am lost. I need your help. VPN is running and connected, WIFI tether is running and shows some numbers in D/L and U/L, but I cannot see my SSID on any device, my labtop, my ipad, my iphone, ....
All what I did is change device profile to Galaxy S3, enable encryption, chsnged the 128bit security phrase, and changed the SSID

You also need to change Setup-Method, MSS clamping, and routing fix

ispot

May 12, 2013
Potomac, MD
ihadna.com
You also need to change Setup-Method, MSS clamping, and routing fix

MSS clamping and routing fix are enabled by default, do I need to disable both?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Just tried disabling both, MSS clambing and routing fix, still can't see my SSID.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Yeah yeah, I got it runnig, I missundersttod the last step "disable wake lock enabled" I disabled the wske lock and now my SSID is visible and I cnnected my ipad, iphone, and my labtop, and all working fine.
You guys as always are awesome, thank you thank you. Now I will wait to see if I will gret any extrs charges from tmobile, I am sure I won't. Thanks again and again.

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
MSS clamping and routing fix are enabled by default, do I need to disable both?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Just tried disabling both, MSS clambing and routing fix, still can't see my SSID.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Yeah yeah, I got it runnig, I missundersttod the last step "disable wake lock enabled" I disabled the wske lock and now my SSID is visible and I cnnected my ipad, iphone, and my labtop, and all working fine.
You guys as always are awesome, thank you thank you. Now I will wait to see if I will gret any extrs charges from tmobile, I am sure I won't. Thanks again and again.

Glad to know you got it figured out, I'll edit the post to make that part easier to understand

Reactions: ispot

cd85233

Jun 21, 2007
I'm having issues with VPN not connecting. I posted in the Wicked Thread to see if there was much help there but no one had the same issue. I can't get any vpn to connect. When I tether everything connects but no internet access...Any insight?

ua2

May 24, 2006
I may be missing something obvious, but I cannot get tethering to work. All the settings appear to be correct (according to the instructions). Hotspot Shield VPN is running and protecting. Tethering starts saying "Tethering started with errors ..." and I do not see new SSID from my laptop. (t-mobile S4 rooted with CF-Auto-Root on "pay by the day" plan)

glensta

Jul 1, 2010
Over here
I'm having issues with VPN not connecting. I posted in the Wicked Thread to see if there was much help there but no one had the same issue. I can't get any vpn to connect. When I tether everything connects but no internet access...Any insight?

I may be missing something obvious, but I cannot get tethering to work. All the settings appear to be correct (according to the instructions). Hotspot Shield VPN is running and protecting. Tethering starts saying "Tethering started with errors ..." and I do not see new SSID from my laptop. (t-mobile S4 rooted with CF-Auto-Root on "pay by the day" plan)

Works fine for me.

-------------------------------------
If I have helped you, please hit the "Thanks" button

-Sent from one of my Obsessions

elvisamy

May 27, 2013
Open tether mod, press menu, settings
Configure the options mentioned in original post
Start tethering

caffeineighted

Jul 16, 2010
Kew Gardens, NY
I'm coming from Verizon, so excuse my ignorance, but does the avoidance of sniffing on T-Mobile require all this VPN'ness?

On Verizon, I used to just use the tethering widget from the Play Store and done.

kiloas

Apr 4, 2008
Just wanted to say this worked great for me! Thanks for the quick precise walkthrough and attaching the needed apk!

radpp16

Sep 6, 2011
I'm coming from Verizon, so excuse my ignorance, but does the avoidance of sniffing on T-Mobile require all this VPN'ness?

On Verizon, I used to just use the tethering widget from the Play Store and done.

Hi, did you get Treve mods wifi tether to work for your verizon galaxy s4?

So I did some research...if you are lucky and grandfathered into verizons unlimited plan then you must pay for tether/hotspot. so it would make sense for us to use vpn to cover our behind. I dont think they are targeting but they can.

rp56

Feb 8, 2013
Hey everytime I turn on the hotspot shield it turns back off buy its self.Do you have any idea what the problem is. Thanks, sir.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. I just came from using a Galaxy Note 2. Since my school does not have the greatest network available, I like to tether my laptop through my phone. With the Galaxy Note 2, I used the settings in this thread in the Note 2 section to allow me to tether more than the 500mb included with my data plan.

When I got the GS4, those same settings didn't work. I did some tinkering with the settings with this app on my GS4, and I've managed to get it working again.

In order for it to work, I highly recommend using a VPN on your phone so that all data is encrypted, hiding it from T-Mobile's sniffing to see if you're using a desktop browser. I use Private Internet Access to accomplish this, and have had no problems using their app running on my phone while tethering. I'm sure you can use other free alternatives, such as Hotspot Shield VPN, but I prefer PIA.

The settings I'm using are as follows:

• Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Setup-Method: Hostapd (master)
    • Wifi Encryption Enabled
    • Wireless Channel 1
    • MSS clamping enabled
    • Routing fix enabled
    • Disable Wake-Lock enabled (aka, check the box)

You need root access for this to work

I've attached the version of the mod I'm using, I'm using Version 3.2-beta2-modv5 ***Synergized***, which I pulled straight from my Note 2 and installed on my GS4. If you want to download it yourself, the Note 2 post I mentioned above directs here as the place to get the mod.

Step by step instructions:

1. BE ROOTED.
      If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
      If you have updated to the OTA, it's a few more steps. Root the OTA update using the steps here
    2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN, or your VPN service of choice
    3. Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
    4. Open tether mod, press menu, settings
    5. Configure the options mentioned in original post
    6. Run your VPN app before starting the tether.
    7. Start tethering
    I've solved the CM tether-VPN compatibility in a secure fashion. I'll probably post a flashable zip (containing an init.d script that, thanks to addon.d, will persist with updates) tomorrow.
    I'm confused, could you post step by step instructions?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

Step by step instructions:

1. BE ROOTED (I forgot to include that in OP, I've edited it to show that it's needed).
      If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
      If you have updated to the OTA, it's a bit more complicated. Root the OTA update using the steps here
    2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN
    3. Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
    4. Open tether mod, press menu, settings
    5. Configure the options mentioned in original post
    6. Start tethering
    Guys WiFi tether in play store was updated to include s4 support. If you have root it works perfectly without any further steps needed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta