Canadian Note 3 (N900W8) Knox Thread (0x0 can be maintained)

Search This thread

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
So far I don't see the advantage to having KITKAT. Only disadvantages like App Incompatibilities, Depreciated System APIs (could be things in Tasker no longer work) and SD Card Writing.

(I read KITKAT is clamping down on things Apps can do to the System functions)

What was it that stopped the KNOX from Triggering?

Was it the 4.4 ROM or is the N900W8 Canadian naturally untrippable?

Awesome that it worked out for you btw, congrats!! :D

Last edited:

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
So far I don't see the advantage to having KITKAT. Only disadvantages like App Incompatibilities, Depreciated System APIs (could be things in Tasker no longer work) and SD Card Writing.

(I read KITKAT is clamping down on things Apps can do to the System functions)

What was it that stopped the KNOX from Triggering?

Was it the 4.4 ROM or is the N900W8 Canadian naturally untrippable?

Awesome that it worked out for you btw, congrats!! :D

It's the bootloader in our phones, it's different than other phones. I cannot tell you why... yet.

I am no dev (also yet) but if we get someone to look at the different bootloaders there will be major differences in the way our Knox works. I can pretty much guarantee it.

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
So are you speculating that all Canadian n900w8, Even ones on 4.3 can be flashed with custom recoveries without triggering KNOX?

(Without first going to 4.4.)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kiru

May 12, 2005
So are you speculating that all Canadian n900w8, Even ones on 4.3 can be flashed with custom recoveries without triggering KNOX?

(Without first going to 4.4.)

I would not flash a custom recovery if you are on 4.3. I am pretty sure 4.3 bootloader will trip knox. You need to be on the 4.4 bootloader in order to install CWM or TWRP without tripping. I know this because early on when the note 3 first came out, people were using cf-autoroot and it was tripping knox. Then the 4.4 bootloader came out and the reports started to roll in of keeping 0x0 all the way through.

Reactions: klau1

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
Agreed. I would not update anything but the bootloader BEFORE flashing CF-Auto-Root or a Custom recovery.

I have a lot of work to do to on this tutorial. ;)

Need to specify which bootloader by version number etc, have all the files in one place, one thread.

This is going to be epic once the tutorials though. We still however do not know how and when Knox is tripped. I suspect there is more in depth information on Knox in the Developers Note 3 forum.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: klau1

kaddict

Mar 22, 2014
I would not flash a custom recovery if you are on 4.3. I am pretty sure 4.3 bootloader will trip knox. You need to be on the 4.4 bootloader in order to install CWM or TWRP without tripping. I know this because early on when the note 3 first came out, people were using cf-autoroot and it was tripping knox. Then the 4.4 bootloader came out and the reports started to roll in of keeping 0x0 all the way through.

Wow I think you got the "difference". Kudos!

From 4.3 if you dare flash anything (im not including root de la vega or Kingo) : You WILL trip knox.
At that moment I didn't want to trip so I only rooted with Kingo. Knox 0x0.

Again if you'd like to just try to repeat what I have done: ** Warning. I'm a noob and I DO NOT know so much about all this... Make sure you know what you're doing because you can get 0x1 know trip and bootloops trying this. **

From my 4.3-Kingo-rooted W8 ...

1) I have updated OTA to kitkat VLUCNB7 (no matter where you start from or how you do it, after that OTA, you get Stock and without root on 4.4.2)
2) Flashed CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar with Odin 3.09
3) Flashed CivZ-SnapKat-Rev2.2-sm_n900T-4.4.2 with Odin 3.09
4) Booted and used the phone for a few minutes
5) Flashed TWRP (hltecan-recovery.img.tar) with Odin 3.09

From that point I took a complete backup (update.zip) with TWRP and tried a few roms (and failed trying them, all bootloops)
Even after that, I am Knox 0x0. I think 4.4.2 may be that difference in not getting tripped.

Good luck folks

I hope my feedback can help you out :)

Reactions: kiru

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario
Agreed. I would not update anything but the bootloader BEFORE flashing CF-Auto-Root or a Custom recovery.

Need to specify which bootloader by version number etc, have all the files in one place, one thread.

This is going to be epic once the tutorial's done though. We still however do not know how and when Knox is tripped. I suspect there is more in depth information on Knox in the Developers Note 3 forum.

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
Has anyone done this and stayed 0x0?
Being on a custom 4.4.2 leaked rom, I still have the old baseband (like, MJ4 old). Is there a way to update this to NB7 and stay on my custom rom without tripping Knox? I think specifically, are baseband and bootloader correlated in any way?
Also, should I switch to TWRP from CWM? This is kind of irrelevant, but I'm curious as to if there are any benefits to switching.

Reactions: BellaxMiu

hey_joe

Oct 28, 2010
Has anyone done this and stayed 0x0?
Being on a custom 4.4.2 leaked rom, I still have the old baseband (like, MJ4 old). Is there a way to update this to NB7 and stay on my custom rom without tripping Knox? I think specifically, are baseband and bootloader correlated in any way?
Also, should I switch to TWRP from CWM? This is kind of irrelevant, but I'm curious as to if there are any benefits to switching.

Just extract the modem from NB7 and flash through odin. Make sure to untick auto-reboot and reboot manually when flashing is done.

In my case though, it didn't make any difference with the signal. It's still mostly 2 bars but could be just my location.

DrawnToLife

Jun 2, 2013
Toronto
Just extract the modem from NB7 and flash through odin. Make sure to untick auto-reboot and reboot manually when flashing is done.

In my case though, it didn't make any difference with the signal. It's still mostly 2 bars but could be just my location.

So are you Knox 0x0 then? :p (also how do you extract a modem.. T-T)
Is there any benefit of me updating to official KitKat? Oh, also, this shouldn't affect my ability to flash down to 4.3 for whatever reason, right?

Reactions: BellaxMiu

hey_joe

Oct 28, 2010
Is there any benefit of me updating to official KitKat? Oh, also, this shouldn't affect my ability to flash down to 4.3 for whatever reason, right?

Tripped Knox way before the guide to keep 0x0 came up but the op here flashed the new baseband and I would guess he's still 0x0 otherwise he would have advised fellow users already. I don't think baseband affects any other parts of the phone except signal-related ( I could be wrong ). NB7 modem is here. I haven't tried the official KK as I kind of settle to my daily rom and also am waiting to hear if maybe Samsung put something in the bootloader that might prevent us from downgrading to 4.3, kind of like preventing from flashing back MJ1 when you've already upgraded to MJ4.

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
When I upgraded to mj4, I kept my bootloader at mj1.

That was the last version udlv works with

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

This is going to be epic once the tutorials though. We still however do not know how and when Knox is tripped. I suspect there is more in depth information on Knox in the Developers Note 3 forum.

Very excited to see your tutorial

nexxusty

May 11, 2011
Georgetown, Ontario

I have done what you said you did and I have kept 0x0. I do not know if the Canadian bootloader can Downgrade yet, the person that was downgrading a bunch of times in that post was on the Mexican bootloader when he did it.

Saying that, so far the Canadian bootloader acts the same as the Mexican one. So far in every way it seems, however we cannot verify if someone has downgraded to 4.3 from 4.4.2 with the Canadian bootloader without tripping Knox.

I think if you flash just the system/baseband portion only you will be fine as your bootloader is already updated.

Question is do we HAVE to flash with Odin to keep 0x0. I have been. Need confirmation on that too.

kiru

May 12, 2005
So I just used odin to install the Rogers 4.4 KitKat, rooted using CF-Autoroot (but for the N9005), and installed TWRP as well. Knox stayed 0x0

Trevorhimself

Mar 19, 2011
Fort McMurray
Just did the OTA 4.4.2 update on my Bell n900w8 (which I purchased yesterday). Used the n9005 CF-root to gain root and didn't trigger Knox.

Thanks everyone contributing and of course the OP!

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Is it possible to just ODIN the KitKat bootloader (just to deactivate KNOX for installing CWM) without the System so we can keep the current 4.3 ROM ?

Reactions: hey_joe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check this ROM for Canadian version of note3

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=52060136

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

You can install any N9005 ROM provided you flash an N900T kernel and the NFC/Wifi/BT fix.

I'm gonna pass on any N900W8 exclusive ROMs.
    I was previously used the telcel mexican upgrade path to go from 4.3 to 4.4.2. Then I downgraded to 4.3 to get 4.4.2 ota. Still 0x0. Now I'm stock 4.4.2. You are saying I can root and still be 0x0 on my n900w8 running stock nb7?

Thanks

I have a Rogers SM-N900W8 that I bought with 4.3. I upgraded to 4.4.2 OTA with stock nb7. I have been rooted and have TWRP flashed on my phone for about 2 months. I have flashed several custom roms as well as kernels etc. I decided to return to stock, but did not want all of the Rogers bloatware so have flashed the Wind stock rom as that is who I'm with anyhow. After flashing the wind stock rom, I was completely stock, losing recovery and root. I re-rooted and re-flashed TWRP and that is where I stand now, stock but rooted. All of this while remaining at Knox 0x0.
    Klau you took the question right out of my head brother. LOL.

I am not sure... this also pains me as I want to try CF-auto Root right now on 4.4.2 Rogers.

From my knowledge of technology, I dont think it will. Not positive though. I am hoping you do not need to flash this.

I will test for us. Here is hoping I wont lose my warranty. Will report back.

Flashed CF-Auto-Root, flashed TWRP 2.6.3.0, 0x0 still!

Now for the info on my phone.

I have done as follows.

Phone came with 4.3 stock --> Root De La Vega --> Flashed 4.4.2 Stock (Rogers) with Odin 3.09 --> CF Auto-Root --> TWRP 2.6.3.0 = Rooted 4.4.2 with TWRP 2.6.3.0 Recovery and Knox @ 0x0.

I'm not stopping here. Will flash everything DrawntoLife has.

Appreciated my man. Thanks again! Easy to Follow Step By Step Tutorial **WILL** be written tonight after I am done at a LAN I am already late for figuring this out. ;)

Talk soon everyone! Happy flashing!
    I was previously used the telcel mexican upgrade path to go from 4.3 to 4.4.2. Then I downgraded to 4.3 to get 4.4.2 ota. Still 0x0. Now I'm stock 4.4.2. You are saying I can root and still be 0x0 on my n900w8 running stock nb7?

Thanks

Check out the Canadian Note 3 Users thread. There are people who have reported that you can, indeed, root stock NB7 from Canadian OTA and keep 0x0. I'd check out the thread and maybe contact some of them?
    This thread is what I personally used to get on 4.4.2 with 0x0. I haven't tried downgrading to 4.3, but I have flashed X-Note approximately 5 times, and many kernels as well. I've also updated my baseband to NB7, all while retaining 0x0. Not sure if that helps or not, but I followed this thread exactly as it is and go exactly what you've asked for.

Yep this is what I initially used as well. I did it with DrawnToLife but they used the exact same files if not just a mirror with pictures.

Oogar's method definitely works as it was the original one. Just to add - I have flashed many different recoveries and stock kernels from Download Mode (around 5 recoveries to update/fix wrong flash, around 3-4 stock kernels) and KNOX is still at 0x0.

If you followed the steps above in that link or Oogar's post you CAN successfully flash back to 4.3 and retain KNOX 0x0. If you update to the latest NB7 you can't downgrade but you can still get KNOX 0x0.