Scanning, connecting to sprint, disconnected..... wtf!!

Search This thread

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
So it seems my phone is not connecting to 4g.... I have fresh 3.4 and stock kernel.. I did a complete dalvik clear and wipe and installed 3.4 and then the radio that's listed.. I get that same message when trying to connect to 4g as my subject says... it says connecting to sprint for about 3 sec. Then right away disconnecting... my dad's phone with the same rom is connecting just fine... anyone have ideas? Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

fachadick

Jul 3, 2010
Northern NJ
fachadick.wordpress.com
Uninstall switchpro, or if you want to keep it, use only that to turn 4g on. Once you turn it on with switchpro, you can turn it off and back on through settings again.

If you don't have switchpro installed, ignore the above.

Sent from my blah blah blah blah

dkdude36

Aug 5, 2010
los angeles
dude, if fachadick's suggestion doesnt work, you are screwed. if you have a backup made with AMON RA RECOVERY (clockwork recovery wont do ****) that you made before flashing the radio, wipe and restore. flashing radios has been known to totally erase or mess with your rsa private keys. without these, there is no possible way to connenct to 4g. this is like your password to your bank account, and you just forgot it. either tough it out and help the other rsa-losers test, or return your evo. only two options. there have been no solutions found besides restoring a working backup (it only successfully backsup the wimax about half the time) from AMON RA RECOVERY ONLY and hope for the best. that sucks

dk

Last edited:

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Dude don't even tell me that.. first off this is the first time I'm hearing about this... why wouldn't there be a major warning about this? And I'm not talking about some.message everyone says with their Roms... I'm talking about a message everywhere that says there's a chance you will lose 4g forever installing Roms or radios, I mean who in their right.mind would evvveeeerrrrr take a chance.like that? I mean would you? The whole point of this phone is the 4g....

BTW I do have switch pro, and tried to toggle the 4g and still no luck....

dude, if fachadick's suggestion doesnt work, you are screwed. if you have a backup made with AMON RA RECOVERY (clockwork recovery wont do ****) that you made before flashing the radio, wipe and restore. flashing radios has been known to totally erase or mess with your rsa private keys. without these, there is no possible way to connenct to 4g. this is like your password to your bank account, and you just forgot it. either tough it out and help the other rsa-losers test, or return your evo. only two options. there have been no solutions found besides restoring a working backup (it only successfully backsup the wimax about half the time) from AMON RA RECOVERY ONLY and hope for the best. that sucks

dk

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Its official... I unistalled the pro widget and saamme thing.. I cannot express how angry I am right now.. this is pissing.me off so bad.. and againn I ask, who in their right.mind would ever mess with Rome and radios if it PERMANENTLY breaks a phone?

I really need someone to help me figure out my options .. should I smash it on the ground and get a refurbished? Should I revert back to stock and try and return it? Very confused right now

fachadick

Jul 3, 2010
Northern NJ
fachadick.wordpress.com
Its official... I unistalled the pro widget and saamme thing.. I cannot express how angry I am right now.. this is pissing.me off so bad.. and againn I ask, who in their right.mind would ever mess with Rome and radios if it PERMANENTLY breaks a phone?

I really need someone to help me figure out my options .. should I smash it on the ground and get a refurbished? Should I revert back to stock and try and return it? Very confused right now

It's only updating the radio that has a chance of breaking wimax, not roms, so did you update your radio?

I'm on the phone now, or I'd point you to the link, but do a search for rsa keys. What you're looking for are some commands to plug into adb or terminal emulator to determine weather your keys are still there. It's something like

grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

but I know I'm missing a part of it. If it says begin rsa private key and end rsa private key at the end of the data it spits out at you, you're still good. If not, hopefully you have an amonra backup stashed away somewhere.

Also, did you reboot after uninstalling switchpro?

Sent from my blah blah blah blah

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Yes I updated the radio... don't you all do that too? If you look at freshs rom there is a radio thatsbsupposed to go with it...

david279

Sep 4, 2007
New Orleans
Wimax radios can break your wimax. Not the other ones. Its somethin that randomly happens. I dont mess with them.

8pen from my supersonic on the xda app.

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
Yes I updated the radio... don't you all do that too? If you look at freshs rom there is a radio thatsbsupposed to go with it...

Search xda for vender tree.xml in the evo forums. Sometimes this has issues. I had the same problem and needed to delete the tree.XML. doing this refreshes a new one on reboot. Search foe it cause I'm on my phone. If you didn't use unrevoked way back when its not necessarily broken. Idk why all these people are telling you that without doing further investigations

I have updated every single wimax radio with no issues. These radios flash with ruu s when you're not rooted so in theory there should be no problems.

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
ok I tried getting the terminal emulator, and I put the code in that I found

cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 | grep RSA

but it comes back as denied, or error..

I don't even wanna mess with SDK package for ADB you mentioned..

any other way to test?

THANKS

ImmortalLuD

May 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
I've been asking people for ages what my problem is with 4G. I rooted, and started flashing ROM's immediately, and can only get 4G to work on my original backup with AMON RA...

There has to be a way to tell if it's messed up or not, and what our options are.

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Search xda for vender tree.xml in the evo forums. Sometimes this has issues. I had the same problem and needed to delete the tree.XML. doing this refreshes a new one on reboot. Search foe it cause I'm on my phone. If you didn't use unrevoked way back when its not necessarily broken. Idk why all these people are telling you that without doing further investigations

I have updated every single wimax radio with no issues. These radios flash with ruu s when you're not rooted so in theory there should be no problems.

LOL I was at a hockey game, FREAKING OUT reading that..

I never messed with ANY radio except the one thats on Fresh's main post..

I did try kings#11 kernel, and when I updated to fresh 3.4, I cleared cache, Cleared dalvik, did a complete wipe, installed 3.4, then installed the radio..

THAT was it..

I am trying to do this test deal, but I seem to not be doing it right.

barnacles10

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2010
LOL I was at a hockey game, FREAKING OUT reading that..

I never messed with ANY radio except the one thats on Fresh's main post..

I did try kings#11 kernel, and when I updated to fresh 3.4, I cleared cache, Cleared dalvik, did a complete wipe, installed 3.4, then installed the radio..

THAT was it..

I am trying to do this test deal, but I seem to not be doing it right.

All the radios I use are fresh posted too. Like I said. Search xda for the vender.tree.xml 4g issue and see if that fixes it for you

fachadick

Jul 3, 2010
Northern NJ
fachadick.wordpress.com
i actually remembered the code right, but forgot the superuser part - if your using terminal emulator, type su and hit enter first so you get the #, then type

grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

you should get the begin private key and end private key at the end (I think you may need to have busybox for this to work though)

Barnacles is right though - there was a lot of talk that it was the (wimax?) radios breaking 4g, But I don't know that it was ever proven - sorry about the hearsay. I just knew it didn't happen when flashing a rom.

I think what he's advising is using root explorer to get to /data/misc/wimax. In that folder you'll see a file that looks like xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tree.xml - set root explorer to mount r/w and rename that file to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tree.xml.old (just in case you need it later for any reason). It will rebuild the xml when you reboot and turn on wimax again. I thought this only helped for wimax that was stuck in scanning though, unless he's referring to something else...

Last edited:

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Sitting in my car 5 miles from where I live with my dads phone in hand.and.messing with.my phone. He has 4g up and running.. I just did a complete reset. Earased everything reinstalled. Fresh 3.4 and still nothing.. I just renamed the tree.XML to old.. my phone is resetting.now.. waiting......nope same ffffiiiing thing... wtf this reallllly blows

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
And now the market keeps force closing.. took me forever to get the terminal emulator.. I put in that key and.I got a bunch of stuff that says RSA-request. Reply.reject a bunch of times... I'm losing it with this pos phone

dkdude36

Aug 5, 2010
los angeles
in the terminal emulater type

su
grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0

if it says a bunch of lines with

BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY
END RSA PRIVATE KEY
(there are some wired dashes and stuff, but you get the idea)
at the end, you are safe, and need to mess with the MAC address key thing. if not, then either get a new evo (sprint customer service :eek:) or join the XDA RSA KEY LOSS TESTERS!!! and try to find a permanent solution.

there was almost a wave of people losing thier keys, in which clockworkmod was baisically banned for not backing up wimax.img. this is y u should ALWAYS USE AMON. i hope this even distantly helps. there are a few threads on how to fix a broken MAC (only if your command outputs BEGIN RSA... END RSA... STUFF)

DK

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
Who knows anymore.. I'm tired and have a headache.. its so depressing when we all try so hard with our phones.. a passion to have fun with.. I must of done everything from a.to z with.my old windows.phone and.never once broke something permanently... thanks all for the help.. going to bed now ;(

fastfed

Feb 13, 2008
See I can't even sleep that's how.much this **** pisses me off ... here is a screen shot of the terminal program

termi.png